Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a new Ripley frame and and I'm going to run a 140mm fork on it (max travel per Ibis). I have an old, tired Pike RCT3 to throw on temporary but want to get a new fork on it asap.

185 lb rider in WNC mountains (Pisgah). I ride fairly aggressive but no large drops, etc. Just good old-school technical riding in pisgah. I do long days on weekends (50+ miles, etc.) so the 120/140 Ripley will be great for this.

Open to fork suggestions. I have a lot of riding on a Lyrik RC2 and the old Pike in these mountains so maybe something different than RS this time. Whats the latest/greatest in 140mm?

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,786 Posts
I have a Mattoc on my Krampus at 120mm. It's pretty OK but I much prefer my two Fox 34's on other bikes. It's plenty stiff but it's not super smooth off the top and sticks/binds up a bit right off the top. I'm 205lbs without gear and the Fox fork checks all the boxes for me.

I looked into using SKF low friction dust wipers for my Mattoc and learned they aren't available unfortunately. They are available for the 34 though. Likewise with the MRP ramp control cartridge.

The Pike would also be a good option, lots of aftermarket upgrades available like the MRP Ramp Control and Vorsprung Luftkappe.

It's a good time to be a mountain biker, lots of great options. Good forks are coming many manufacturers like DVO, MRP, and Cane Creek too.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I have a Mattoc on my Krampus at 120mm. It's pretty OK but I much prefer my two Fox 34's on other bikes. It's plenty stiff but it's not super smooth off the top and sticks/binds up a bit right off the top. I'm 205lbs without gear and the Fox fork checks all the boxes for me.

I looked into using SKF low friction dust wipers for my Mattoc and learned they aren't available unfortunately. They are available for the 34 though. Likewise with the MRP ramp control cartridge.

The Pike would also be a good option, lots of aftermarket upgrades available like the MRP Ramp Control and Vorsprung Luftkappe.

It's a good time to be a mountain biker, lots of great options. Good forks are coming many manufacturers like DVO, MRP, and Cane Creek too.
Skf 34mm seals work on Mattocs.

Not sure which version of the Mattoc you have, but they are smoother than any fox 34 I have come across. Makes me think you may have a bushing issue that would be easily sorted out through warranty.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Look for a Manitou Magnum 120mm, can be lengthened to 140mm easily. Same thing as the Mattoc but just slightly different skin for 29er.

Other option would be the SR Suntour Aion/Auron depending on what your "orientation" will be for riding trail. Through their Upgrade Program you can easily get one for less than $600.
So the Magnum 29" can be extended to 140mm? The Manitou website states it only goes up to 120mm. Another thing to consider (especially for the Ripley) is the fork offset. Looks like the Magnum 29" only comes in 51mm offset. I think the Mattoc can be had with a bit shorter offset.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at manitou, MRP, and DVO options for the Ripley. Have not tested any of these so looking at user reviews, ease of maintenance, good adjustability and of course good customer service.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts

When I first got my Mattoc Pro I couldn't believe how easy it was to get moving. I'm 140'ish and if I looked at the handlebars the fork would start to travel. It had the newer seals from Manitou. It's not that smooth anymore because I haven't serviced it since I got it a year ago (going to try and do that this weekend). Do the new mattoc seals work for your version? My Pike was never that supple at the top.

I'm also looking at the Ripley as the next bike (or Sb100, or new Tallboy/Hightower) and was thinking if I did get the Ripley, probably looking for a Pro Plus to put on it, and testing 120mm-140mm.

a DVO Diamond is another option I've been looking at just to try out.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
So the Magnum 29" can be extended to 140mm? The Manitou website states it only goes up to 120mm. Another thing to consider (especially for the Ripley) is the fork offset. Looks like the Magnum 29" only comes in 51mm offset. I think the Mattoc can be had with a bit shorter offset.
Correct... Look up the Mattoc thread and there is some information in there. I believe that it is simply removing a travel spacer. Going PAST 140mm requires modification. Talk with Dougal or Mullen for more info.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Correct... Look up the Mattoc thread and there is some information in there. I believe that it is simply removing a travel spacer. Going PAST 140mm requires modification. Talk with Dougal or Mullen for more info.
The magnum 29 refers to 29+ (magnum was originally a plus bike fork ). The magnum 27.5+ will do 29" wheels with tires up to 2.4. A mattoc 27.5/29 (same fork with a few tweaks and name change) will go up to 2 2.6 tires if my memory serves me correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.