Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting close to finishing my new build. Fork is the last big purchase to make and Im stumped.

So far:
Frame - Canfeild Nimble 9
Wheels - Flow ex laced to Hope Pro2
Cranks - XT
Brakes - XO(eventually something with more power)
Seatpost - KS Supernatural dropper post
Drive train - I'll be going back and forth between SS and saint/xt 1x9
Bars - Answer protaper carbon
Stem - Husselfelt 35mm(heavy but free)
The short list of forks I've been considering are:

RS Revelation
RS Pike
WB Loop
Manitou Minute(formally tower)
Marz 44 TI
Xfusion Trace
Xfusion Revel(because why not )

Any input on any of these, or others to look at? I've ridden both the Loop(but in 120mm 650b form), and Minute(in 120mm 26 form on my fs bike). I have no experience with the RS or Marz. Not a huge fan of FOX. Both 20mm and 15mm axles will work with my hubs.

The RS pike is pretty high on my list, cost might knock it out of contention though.

Stats:

26yo M
190lbs geared up
5'11"
I ride pretty aggressively but don't have a chance to hit many bigger drops. Some of the bigger on the trails I ride are no bigger than 4ft. Ride in Northeast Pennsylvania, so lots of windy singletrack though rolling hills, rocks and roots. Possibly entering a handful of enduro races as well, though no hope of placing unless there is a HT cat.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I wouldn't consider the Marz for what they're going for now. I picked one up when they were being blown out two years ago. Great fork when bought at under $300. Not so much for full retail.

Given your build, I'd go for one of the larger stanchioned forks, so either Pike or Trace. I've got a Trace and couldn't be happier. The Pike gets rave reviews. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Pike is the best out there right now, period. If cost is prohibitive get the Trace Unicrown. Great fork, especially for the money.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Pike is the best out there right now, period. If cost is prohibitive get the Trace Unicrown. Great fork, especially for the money.
+ 1 on this.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have a 140mm Manitou Tower on my Yelliscreamy. I love it. It doesn't have all the adjustments that the pike has, but the ABS Damper works flawlessly and the lockout dial works as expected (e.g half the lever clicks is about 50% locked out). 15mm hexlock axle is a bit strange but it works well. I've owned several minutes/towers and from 100mm to 140mm they're all pretty stiff laterally, probably not as stiff as the pike. Its also really cheap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 140mm Manitou Tower on my Yelliscreamy. I love it. It doesn't have all the adjustments that the pike has, but the ABS Damper works flawlessly and the lockout dial works as expected (e.g half the lever clicks is about 50% locked out). 15mm hexlock axle is a bit strange but it works well. I've owned several minutes/towers and from 100mm to 140mm they're all pretty stiff laterally, probably not as stiff as the pike. Its also really cheap.
I have a 120mm minute with mars air spring in my 26in bike great fork. Want sure how it would translate as a 140mm 29er fork though. I kinda want somthing diffrent for differences sake otherwise it would be pretty high on the list.

·
Registered
214 Posts
+1 on Pike. It's the top of the am forks. Looks good, works good, stiff, support is very good. What else can you ask from a high end suspension fork?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a tower pro 140 on my N9 gen2. I really like it, I think you get a lot of bang for your buck. I do not think the fork is limiting me or the bike in anyway. not sure on the others but with the tower pro 140 I am running a little lower pressure then recommend due to the slack head angle.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
Pike!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have a tower pro 140 on my N9 gen2. I really like it, I think you get a lot of bang for your buck. I do not think the fork is limiting me or the bike in anyway. not sure on the others but with the tower pro 140 I am running a little lower pressure then recommend due to the slack head angle.
I noticed the same thing, I'm running 10psi less than recommended.

You're right about it holding you back; it does everything I want a fork to do, its predictable, smooth, ramps up nicely.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have a 120mm minute with mars air spring in my 26in bike great fork. Want sure how it would translate as a 140mm 29er fork though. I kinda want somthing diffrent for differences sake otherwise it would be pretty high on the list.
I had the same dilemma in November when building my yelli. Revelation was high on the list but read that it wasn't stellar. Pike was considered, but was prohibitively expensive. Already owned a 44 and it was okay but got rid of it for another tower. For the price I don't think you can beat the Tower, i bought mine for under $300, Less than half of that for the pike.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pike is my next fork for sure, my buddy has one on his Trance that I'll ride, it's so nice compared to my Sektor 140mm.

·
Registered
203 Posts
X2 or three or however many on the Tower Pro. I have the 120 on my Yelli @$250 I ordered a 140. I couldn't pass up the price.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts