Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

140mm 29er Fork

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting close to finishing my new build. Fork is the last big purchase to make and Im stumped.

So far:
Frame - Canfeild Nimble 9
Wheels - Flow ex laced to Hope Pro2
Cranks - XT
Brakes - XO(eventually something with more power)
Seatpost - KS Supernatural dropper post
Drive train - I'll be going back and forth between SS and saint/xt 1x9
Bars - Answer protaper carbon
Stem - Husselfelt 35mm(heavy but free)
The short list of forks I've been considering are:

RS Revelation
RS Pike
WB Loop
Manitou Minute(formally tower)
Marz 44 TI
Xfusion Trace
Xfusion Revel(because why not )

Any input on any of these, or others to look at? I've ridden both the Loop(but in 120mm 650b form), and Minute(in 120mm 26 form on my fs bike). I have no experience with the RS or Marz. Not a huge fan of FOX. Both 20mm and 15mm axles will work with my hubs.

The RS pike is pretty high on my list, cost might knock it out of contention though.

Stats:

26yo M
190lbs geared up
5'11"
I ride pretty aggressively but don't have a chance to hit many bigger drops. Some of the bigger on the trails I ride are no bigger than 4ft. Ride in Northeast Pennsylvania, so lots of windy singletrack though rolling hills, rocks and roots. Possibly entering a handful of enduro races as well, though no hope of placing unless there is a HT cat.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I ride a Pike 29 (solo version). Love it and would recommend one, but yes they are spendy. I've never ridden a fork that sucked up everything so well for all-mountain riding with such little effort in tuning on my end.

Curious about the XFusion Trace and would love to hear feedback on that one.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Rumor has it that Manitou may be coming out with a new trail fork, though who knows when it'll actually be available for sale.
Hayes Teases New Radar Disc Brakes & Manitou ?Macleod? Trail Mountain Bike Fork

As much as I like the the Minute I'd knock it off the list, for a 140mm travel 29er it's getting on flexy side. Revelation is gone for the same reason. The other forks I haven't ridden yet so I can't comment on them. IMO, for someone of your weight and riding style, 34mm stanchions and a good beefy crown are needed to keep the fork nice & stiff.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, the minute I have is very stiff, but is only 120mm with a 20mm axle and for a 26in wheel. Wasn't sure how well it would go as a 29er in 140mm with a 15mm axle.

A 29er version of the mattoc would be sweet, but I don't know if i can wait all season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.