Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone- I know the fuel ex plus comes with a 140mm fork. I plan to put a 140 on my ex 7 29. Is this ok still using the 29” wheels? I thought I read somewhere that it can put more stress on the headset... but that might have been someone running 150+. Anyone run a 140 with 29” wheels? Wonder if Trek backs this up or not? I figure they sell it with a 140 in the plus version.

·
GONE
27,150 Posts
With a 10mm increase over the front wheel, you will have a mildly relaxed (and higher) HTA and a mildly higher BB. Not sure if it will affect the wheelbase? The only thing you might consider doing is removing a spacer from under your stem and maybe dropping the nose of your saddle, mildly.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With a 10mm increase over the front wheel, you will have a mildly relaxed (and higher) HTA and a mildly higher BB. Not sure if it will affect the wheelbase? The only thing you might consider doing is removing a spacer from under your stem and maybe dropping the nose of your saddle, mildly.
You know its funny, I cut the steerer tube a bit too short on accident (worst bike mechanic noob mistake ever) so this actually will help considering I can take off a 1cm spacer to basically make up for it. That way I will still be close to the original stack I had with the 130mm.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I put a 140mm Fox 36 on my FEX with 29s and I noticed no negative handling issues. I also adjusted the spacer stack so it felt about the same when it had the 130mm fork on it. It still felt agile and fast but was more capable in rough stuff and felt much better in descents and cornering. The BB was raised a smidge, but enough to notice less pedal strikes. It was also a little more stable due to the slackened HA and slightly longer wheelbase. I personally think that the FEX with a 140mm is the penultimate one-bike-quiver. Capable in rough stuff, yet still fast and fun in smoother, more mellow trails.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a 140mm Fox 34 on my 2019 Fuel EX and love it. So far it has handled everything I can throw at it including some jumps and really chunky stuff that used to make me pucker on my Top Fuel.

I built it from the frame up, so I never had 130 on it, therefore can't comment on the change in handling, etc.

·
Super Outdoor Rep
58 Posts
I put a 140mm Fox 36 on my FEX with 29s and I noticed no negative handling issues. I also adjusted the spacer stack so it felt about the same when it had the 130mm fork on it. It still felt agile and fast but was more capable in rough stuff and felt much better in descents and cornering. The BB was raised a smidge, but enough to notice less pedal strikes. It was also a little more stable due to the slackened HA and slightly longer wheelbase. I personally think that the FEX with a 140mm is the penultimate one-bike-quiver. Capable in rough stuff, yet still fast and fun in smoother, more mellow trails.
Thanks for the confidence boost! I just bought a set of 29er wheels for my 27.+ FEX 9.8. The petal strikes have been a killer. Hoping this will solve my issues somewhat and your positive input helped me pull the trigger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.