Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the Trance is not "made" for a 140-mm fork but since I built up my 2007 frame last month and used many of my existing parts, including an RS Pike fork, I've had ample opportunity to experiment.

Well, made for it or not, the Trance with the full 140-mm cranked out of the Pike is a kick.

On steep drops, the kind that have a tendency to scare the crap out of me, the change in geometry resulting from the full 140-mm extension is eye opening. I am able to hang off the back and roll down rocky and technical slopes with ease (well, with ease for me).

Lowering the fork to 110 - 120-mm for saner rides takes you back to the all-mountain bike that the Trance really is. Drop the fork all the way to 95-mm and enjoy the climb.

However, if you want to give it a shot, don't be afraid of a long fork on the Trance. My LBS checked with Giant and they said the Pike was not going to void any warranties so that is not an issue. Frankly, steering does not suffer with the longer fork either. Its just another way to enjoy a really enjoyable bike.
:D REV

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:D LMAO :D You know I don't think I've really seen a Trance built for real XC type riding, instead they all seem to be built/upgraded to be more all mountain 4" trail bikes that feel like so much more. Good to know that using the 140mm fork isn't going to void the warranty is excellent, if I had one I'd definitely give it a try - like you though it'd have to be a U-Turn/travel adjust fork for sure so you can as said go back to "normal" geometry on flats and climbing.

Although I like my Trance w/ it's all mountain type build I'd still like to feel the snap it could have with a better and lighter wheelset and lighter build - think the wheels are where I have the most weight to loose on mine, rest of the parts are pretty decent and light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
anyone,
how can you feel about 2007 fox vanilla 32 on TRANCE?
who try ?
it has 140mm travel.
I hear we cannot change its travel down.
does fox 140mm forks fit our TRANCE for little climb and long descent.
no TALAS, no FLOAT, :nono: only VANILLA 'cause it has coil inside :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
140-mm works for climbs but.....

I am a big fan of dropping the Pike's lower setting to 95-mm for climbing. It works much better. I have climbed in the 140-mm setting but on steeper trails, the front end can get light. I don't think this is something unique to the Trance but still a fact. If I had to use a fork with only one setting I would not choose 140-mm. That lenght is a fun option but I can't honestly recommend it as the only length fork on the Trance. If I had to go with a non-adjustable fork, I would stick with 110 - 120-mm.

Back to what I said or meant, the 140-mm length makes the Trance easier and more fun on steep drops. However, if most of your riding consists of the type of steep drops I'm thinking of, you would be better served by the Reign. The majority of my riding is XC with only short steeps.

I really offered this thread to let people know the Trance does not turn into an unrideable animal just because you use a longer fork.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I run a 36 on my Trance and it's great. It usually sits at about 130mm, but I do clamp it down on long climbs. Sometimes I bust out the maximum travel and it feels pretty good then.

I picked up a spare set of wheels (CrossMax XLs) to go with my dh hoops and I'm good to go. I can spend a few hours riding all mountain one day, swap the wheels out and go for an 8hr epic the next. It weighs 30lbs with the XLs, 33 and change with the heavy wheels.

I'll be testing out a 32 shortly, so we'll see how the smaller fork measures up to the 20mm...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just picked up my new 07 Trance frame set today at lunch. I will be putting a 06 Rock Shox Revelation 426 Dual Air/Air U-Turn/U-Turn with 85-130 MM travel on it. Giant told me I would not have any problems. I will post pics soon. Building it tonight.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
And I'll be changing the travel on my Tora to 130mm when I service it in the next month just to see the difference.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
OR, you could get adventurous and cut one of the spacer in 1/2 and only go about 115mm of travel :D or do that once you've tried 130mm. As RB said climbing on the Trance w/ a fork over 115mm isn't the easiest if it's steep, but it sure is fun on the DHs.
energetix said:
And I'll be changing the travel on my Tora to 130mm when I service it in the next month just to see the difference.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Here you go guys.

Built her up last night. 07 Giant Trance. This will be my new 4x, DS, All-Mountain bike. I used most of my parts off my last 4x bike. The only thing I have to do is change out the seat post to a Thomson when it comes in and I have plans to replace the Rock Shox Revelation to a Fox 32 Talas RLC.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sweet bike Cecil! How did you end up on a Giant??? :thumbsup: I have been riding my Reign for a couple of months and totally love it. I still have my Schwinn Straight-6 for DH. I didn't race much this year due to the birth of my son, Eli. Anyway, hope to get out next year for some of the NC races. I heard Dark Mtn was running a Super D series in March, see you there. ;)

·
Registered
548 Posts
willie b said:
Sweet bike Cecil! How did you end up on a Giant??? :thumbsup: I have been riding my Reign for a couple of months and totally love it. I still have my Schwinn Straight-6 for DH. I didn't race much this year due to the birth of my son, Eli. Anyway, hope to get out next year for some of the NC races. I heard Dark Mtn was running a Super D series in March, see you there. ;)
What up!!!! Giant hooked me up for the 07 race year. Congarts on the birth of you new son. My son Mason, will be here in Jan. I can't wait. I did do a few races this past year at Sugar and Snowshoe. Only 3. I will race the Dark Mtn series and will be putting on a Super D series here in Greenville too in 07. It is much like DM. Hope you can come down?

Cecil

·
Registered
148 Posts
Looks like the shock cage is different to 06 models.. Can it take piggyback now? From what I've heard the rear is pretty linear, which is good until you hit something bigger and blow through it all. Oh and nice Trances here... I'd like to try one with a Pike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
energetix said:
I was just curious about this statement. I thought with U-Turn forks you could adjust the travel externally? What am I missing here? (I apologize in advance; I'm a bit of an idiot with things mechanical). My wife has a Tora on her SC Super Light and I was going to mess around with it to see if she might like more travel on the descents.

I have a 2005 Trance 4 with a Manitou Axel and am personally torn between upgrading to a Revelation or a Pike, though I'm heading towards the Pike if I can get a deal. Seems like a good choice for All Mountain-ish flexibility

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
rightgoneleft said:
I was just curious about this statement. I thought with U-Turn forks you could adjust the travel externally? What am I missing here? (I apologize in advance; I'm a bit of an idiot with things mechanical). My wife has a Tora on her SC Super Light and I was going to mess around with it to see if she might like more travel on the descents.

I have a 2005 Trance 4 with a Manitou Axel and am personally torn between upgrading to a Revelation or a Pike, though I'm heading towards the Pike if I can get a deal. Seems like a good choice for All Mountain-ish flexibility
yes, you can adjust a U-Turn fork's travel by turning the knob at the top of the fork. It's probably safe to say that he doesn't have the model Tora with the optional U-Turn

trances with 140mm forks lol
giant really over-builds their bikes (good thing) if the frame can take that abuse

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've got the remote poploc version of the Tora (318 Solo Air) that came stock on the Aussie Trance 3. So the only way to change travel is by removing the spacer at service time. It would also be possible to change it to 80mm travel by moving the spacer to a different spot from my understanding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ooh my 1st post, very exciting.

I run pikes with poplock on my Trance 3 and a 203 mm rotor on them. I havn't had any problems yet, wind them down and lock them out for long climbs and put them back for up the downs.

I do run the standard (Medium?) spring which means at 12.5stone (80+kg) that i am running a lot of sag, plush as hell though.

I may try the correct spring for my weight soon which i think is the firm one.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I dont have a trance but i do have a marin(vpp)4'' bike and run a 140mm vanilla in front and just love the feel of it whether it be climbing or gojng down.its my xc race bike and all day bike.the slack headangle doesnt seem to bother me at all.

btw....great looking bikes,i love the trance.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've tried and tried and tried to have my question answered in several threads but still no answer! Help me out on this one, please!
I've been thinking about a Trance with a Pike for tough trailriding. My only concern is the rear suspension. Is the the Maestro suspension action progressive enough to take bigger hits (up to about 5 foot drops?) without bottoming?
I'm 190 lbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think i weigh about 180lbs and i run my trance with Pikes for this type of riding, however i think it will really depend on your riding style, i naturally avoid flat landings because they feel wrong and i prefer to drop offs with a run out.

A 5 foot drop onto a good run out will cause no problems for the Trance, 5 foot to flat like a trials move will probably come close to bottoming out.

Incidentally i have bottomed out the pikes but never the rear, perhaps to do with my riding style and the fact i have a medium spring in the fork.

At 180lbs i run 210 psi in the shock.

I have to say that i now ride harder on my Trance than i ever did on my Cannondale Super V 4000DH, with no problems, i am now replacing the rear bearings after 12 months hard riding and they are worn but not completely shot to peices.

I hope this helps.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Interesting thread...I'm soooo close to buying an '05 trance frame and RP3, but I'd have to run my Manitou Sherman on it (unless FCLINDER is looking to sell his Revelation LOL).

My current build is an '04 Trek Liquid 30 frame and shock.

Essentially everything there would go on the Trance. I think it may be a bit too "All Mountain"

1 - 20 of 46 Posts