Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade the fork on my 2012 kona kahuna. Aiming to get more travel and a bit more slacked out. On the stock 100mm fork it has a 70 hta. Trying to make the bike a bit more all mountain capable, as I am riding less XC now a days.

I am eyeballing a fox float 34 140mm. Will going to a 140mm fork be detrimental to the bike geometry? Has anyone done this and can comment? Obviously there are trade offs, just want to make sure it won't be a paper weight.

·
1,711 Posts
You are probably risking stressing the frame by going to that much of a jump. I have a Kona Hei Hei and is built for a 100 also... I just went to 120 last spring and it's perfect now. Slightly more slack, and more plush... while still having great pedaling and geo it was built for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear the input. What size stanchions are in your 120? Part of the reason I was looking at a 140 was to get into 34mm stanchions.

·
1,711 Posts
Glad to hear the input. What size stanchions are in your 120? Part of the reason I was looking at a 140 was to get into 34mm stanchions.
32 with a 15mm axle. I'm 220 and haven't noticed any flex.

·
Registered
171 Posts
how did this mod go?

haha 2 years later!
just wondering if and how the 140 on the Kahuna went?
i have the 2014 Big Kahuna and dont like the quick steering...
would an angled headset or 120-130mm fork do the trick ??

·
Life Is Short
2,569 Posts
dont do it, the warranty will be void as well, if you want a 140mm sell the bike and get a kona process

·
Registered
7 Posts
the kona frames are strong, dude i used to run all different length forks on 26 hardtails back in the day with no issues, now i dropped a 120mm xc30 gold in my kahuna with a stubby stem and risers, but think a sector 140 would be great too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts