Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW,

Ok so I have more to say then that, First I've only been doing this MTB stuff for just over a year but have been riding/racing offroad moto's for a while and spend a lot of money on the suspension for them so it was only a matter of time before I made the progression with my MTB. I picked up a Yeti SB95c last May after trying 2 used 26'r Yeti's that left me wanting. About July I had to order some Enve AM's because the stock wheels were never going to hold up after dinging both in short order. That was huge improvement but this front Pike is right there with over the stock Fox 34. At 220# naked I was running the Fox 34 in the 95-100psi range but used the trail setting 90% of the time for choppy XC trails in NW GA area. I like my suspension stiff, but by the time I got the Fox 34 aired up enough it was very harsh and nervous in any loose or bumpy turns in Trail mode but would blow through on the stroke in Descend mode.

Just installed the Pike RCT3 SA and without touching any clickers I just set personal best on many sections of trail I've been riding almost a year once a week. If it gets better I'm going to be on the dang Yeti all the freakin time!!! The only negative is now I know the Fox shock isn't up to par with the front, hopefully I can resist the urge to try a Double Barrel shock to keep up with the Pike up front.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I started on a 100mm Fox Float 32 Evolution CTD and experienced the same thing as you on trail and descend modes... Just got a Stumpjumper Evo with a 140mm RS Revelation and it's much better.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
You wrote more about your bike and the old fork than you did about the Pike.

What made you faster? Did the fork have a nitro button that you could utilize when climbing up hills?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am riding the new Pike dual air 120-150. Fantastic fork. Huge leap ahead of everyone else. Super smooth with no stiction. No one else is even close to smoothness of this thing. I set it to 120 to climb, then 150 for everything else. Burly thru axel, stiff 35mm legs, super adjustability AND you get ALL the travel with no harsh bottom out. I was never able to get full travel out of my many other Fox forks. I am now squarely in the Rock Shock camp. I am 6'4" 220 lbs. Don't try it unless you have the $$ in your pocket cause you will be ruined on every other fork at this point in time. It's that good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts