Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per my other thread here I have a broken '05-'06 Fox TALAS RC2 which needs new lowers, service etc on a Nomad.
Coming in at around £480 this a lot for older fork although it still rides great.

I'm considering the '14 Marzocchi 55CR forks which will move me from 150mm to 170mm of travel, I know I can add the spacers but why? :)

Are they a good fork and a comparable ride in advances of technology etc?

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Good fork, but a little porky in the weight department. At the price, there really is nothing else close. For nearly twice the price a pike or mattoc will be lighter and have slightly better dampening (assuming you can use a tapered fork). I was faced with a similar choice and bought the 55cr. No regrets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cary, yeah for the price £400 I can't find better to be honest and no I stuck with a straight 1 1/8 so limited on choice.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Good fork. you'll find it very linear compared to a 06 RC2[ presume it's 150mm]. I've got both a 2012 RC2 converted to 2013 air spring and a 55CR. I ride the 55Cr at 150 but have had one ride at 170mm.
I haven't done back to back testing comparison.From memory, you will notice some flex at 170mm compared to the Rc2 at 160mm. The Rc2 has a short offset so the steering on the 55Cr is quicker with a longrer offset. Feels good and neutral at 170. At 150, it can be a bit quick unless using on a bike intended for a shorter fork.
The travel is linear so you can go through your travel easy on big hits. Adding oil above the piston could be an option. From memory i thought it rode better at at 150 than 170[ needed to much air pressure?] But that was very early on and hadn't dialed it in much.
Fully open it's lush and very active[ like ctd D setting] . The LSC is very effective and one of the best in the business. Add 1 or 2 clicks and it supports you but blows through very little feedback[ like CTD trail]. It does add a bit of HSC so I use it to limit travel rather than adding too much air pressure. Being a linear fork, adding air pressure will hurt low speed and mid stroke suppleness.
I think most will find it very good for any price, let alone the price it sells for. It's great for my terrain and weight[ 72 kg nett]. If your a clyde or if your a hard charger with big hits you will need to add oil above the piston to make it more progressive. At speed[ at 150mm, 75 psi +2 clicks LSC] it sucks up trail chunder as good, or better, than my 13 Rc2 at 160[ 65 psi 8 clicks LSC] .If I hit something big then it will bottom[ not harshly] whereas my Rc2[ at 160] still has 20mm to go but possibly feels a bit harsher on the big hit as it squeezes up. The lsc adjust is really all I need, I run my Rc2 with no HSC anyway.

I presume the 06 RC2 is extremely progressive. i wouldn't be surprised if the 55Cr at 150 didn't easily out perform the 06 RC2 in all but the worst you can throw at it. Certainly be much smoother on average trail chunder ,roots and rocks. It's a bit better than my RC2 on fire road small bump compliance, still not the best out there. When you start charging on the trail it opens up nicely.

IMHO , weight is it's only draw back[ about 100g heavier than my 12 RC2] otherwise it's as good as any fork out there in any price bracket.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good fork. you'll find it very linear compared to a 06 RC2[ presume it's 150mm]. I've got both a 2012 RC2 converted to 2013 air spring and a 55CR. I ride the 55Cr at 150 but have had one ride at 170mm.
I haven't done back to back testing comparison.From memory, you will notice some flex at 170mm compared to the Rc2 at 160mm. The Rc2 has a short offset so the steering on the 55Cr is quicker with a longrer offset. Feels good and neutral at 170. At 150, it can be a bit quick unless using on a bike intended for a shorter fork.
The travel is linear so you can go through your travel easy on big hits. Adding oil above the piston could be an option. From memory i thought it rode better at at 150 than 170[ needed to much air pressure?] But that was very early on and hadn't dialed it in much.
Fully open it's lush and very active[ like ctd D setting] . The LSC is very effective and one of the best in the business. Add 1 or 2 clicks and it supports you but blows through very little feedback[ like CTD trail]. It does add a bit of HSC so I use it to limit travel rather than adding too much air pressure. Being a linear fork, adding air pressure will hurt low speed and mid stroke suppleness.
I think most will find it very good for any price, let alone the price it sells for. It's great for my terrain and weight[ 72 kg nett]. If your a clyde or if your a hard charger with big hits you will need to add oil above the piston to make it more progressive. At speed[ at 150mm, 75 psi +2 clicks LSC] it sucks up trail chunder as good, or better, than my 13 Rc2 at 160[ 65 psi 8 clicks LSC] .If I hit something big then it will bottom[ not harshly] whereas my Rc2[ at 160] still has 20mm to go but possibly feels a bit harsher on the big hit as it squeezes up. The lsc adjust is really all I need, I run my Rc2 with no HSC anyway.

I presume the 06 RC2 is extremely progressive. i wouldn't be surprised if the 55Cr at 150 didn't easily out perform the 06 RC2 in all but the worst you can throw at it. Certainly be much smoother on average trail chunder ,roots and rocks. It's a bit better than my RC2 on fire road small bump compliance, still not the best out there. When you start charging on the trail it opens up nicely.

IMHO , weight is it's only draw back[ about 100g heavier than my 12 RC2] otherwise it's as good as any fork out there in any price bracket.
I agree 100% :thumbsup: I went back and forth about getting this fork because of the extra weight because it was going on my steel framed hard tail, but the extra weight is a non issue. 100-200grams extra it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This fork performs great. Out of the box the spring rate is very linear, but adding some oil through the Schrader valve will make it more progressive if you like. The damping is fantastic and really keeps the tire planted on the dirt, smooth or choppy. This is coming from a 44 RC3. The CR is a better performing fork. Torsional stiffness and fore/aft stiffness is great too. I don't see you getting commensurate improvement in performance by going with a far more expensive fork form Rochshox or Fox.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
This was the primary reason I chose it over a fox 36. I am running it on a 2008 Turner 5 Spot which was designed for a 140mm, 32mm fork. The Fox 36 and CR55 add 10mm of axle to crown at the same travel, plus going to 150 add another 10mm. The Fox has 37mm of trail, the Zocchi 44mm, which helps offset the additional height.

I am still working on setup on this fork. I am 225 pounds (about 100kg) and with 85 psi set at 150mm traveel, I get 20% sag, but can still bottom the fork. I am going to add some oil to the air chamber so it ramps up more. Also, this fork seems to have a lot of rebound dampening. I started in the middle, but am down to about 4 clicks of rebound from full fast.

Also, keep in mind, this fork feels completely different in a parking lot test and on the trail. In the parking lot, it feels like it has way to much compression dampening and no small bump compliance. On the trail, it comes alive and is remarkably plush. Even though I am bottoming it on some jumps, I don't feel the bottoming, it just uses the travel smoothly.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
This was the primary reason I chose it over a fox 36. I am running it on a 2008 Turner 5 Spot which was designed for a 140mm, 32mm fork. The Fox 36 and CR55 add 10mm of axle to crown at the same travel, plus going to 150 add another 10mm. The Fox has 37mm of trail, the Zocchi 44mm, which helps offset the additional height.

I am still working on setup on this fork. I am 225 pounds (about 100kg) and with 85 psi set at 150mm traveel, I get 20% sag, but can still bottom the fork. I am going to add some oil to the air chamber so it ramps up more. Also, this fork seems to have a lot of rebound dampening. I started in the middle, but am down to about 4 clicks of rebound from full fast.

Also, keep in mind, this fork feels completely different in a parking lot test and on the trail. In the parking lot, it feels like it has way to much compression dampening and no small bump compliance. On the trail, it comes alive and is remarkably plush. Even though I am bottoming it on some jumps, I don't feel the bottoming, it just uses the travel smoothly.
That's not alot of pressure for your weight. I'm 160 lbs[ nett] and run at 75 psi. i had it up to 85 and noticed an increase in bar feedback when hitting square edge hits ar speed[tree roots etc]
. Since the LSC transtion is so smooth on this fotk i found 2 clicks LSC at 75 psi slightly smoother on the square edge hits and used simialr travel.
Like you say parking lot and fire road vs on the trail is like Jekyll and Hyde on this fork . So I would tune it for fast trail speed rather than bike packing speed. Don't know about sag never ever use it for a fork.Becomes irelevant when you add any LSC anyway.
If you didn't want to add oil to the air chamber I suspect that you could go a bit higher in air pressure without getting to much more feedback on the square edge hits. Even though the LSC transition is very smooth it still has an affect on overall compression damping and travel . So another option is adding more lsc.
Like you say adding oil above the piston is a good option . Help the Jekyll and hyde character as well. Although I suspect that has to do with their choice of negative spring to match the linear air spring.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
I will try a little more LSC, at three clicks right now. I agree, the blowoff from LSC to HSC is extremely smooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't quote you all but thanks very much for all the useful info :thumbsup: . I ordered the fork over the weekend which should arrive tomorrow. I cleaned the bike up today, swopped over to the summer High Rollers and all ready to fit the 55 CR, it showed me just how little metal was holding the axle on as well :(

The Nomad will take up to a 180mm fork so at currently 150mm moving to 170mm is within tolerances and gives me extra room to play with, I'm looking forward to the first ride :)

·
Greystoke
261 Posts

I have the CR55 be careful with running air low at your weight. I had to pay for new stanchions due to flairing from bottom out, ( I never really thought it was excessive ).
They were getting sticky & also showed discoloring (wear marks) on the ano around mid travel (only 9months use & considered user error , no warranty).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All fitted and ready for a test ride. I hadn't taken into consideration my brake wouldn't fit :( It went from IS to post...

It was an old 200mm IS Hope mono M4 so I had to source a +0mm adapter but this wouldn't fit the fork so had to buy a new Hope mono M4 caliper and a 160mm to 200mm adapter by 'Formula' so I didn't have to buy a new floating rotor as well.

I intend to sell the old caliper, it's a shame it didn't work as the gold piston covers went with the stanchions :)

The instructions are a bit sparse on the settings I know what the ebound does but is compression high or low?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Haven't had the damper apart but i think it is low only, but it has a platform feel to it. Like most lsc and platform, it does have some affect on hsc.
Good starting point would be air [psi] about your riding weight[kg], rebound about 1/2 and comp at least 1 or 2 turns.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanks, it was quite surprising how much difference the rebound adjustment made compared to how little it needed moving on the bottom of the fork.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Haven't had the damper apart but i think it is low only, but it has a platform feel to it. Like most lsc and platform, it does have some affect on hsc.
Good starting point would be air [psi] about your riding weight[kg], rebound about 1/2 and comp at least 1 or 2 turns.
I found the rebound on this fork to be a bit slow. I am now running only four clicks from full fast, which is surprising given my weight.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So far I've gone with the recommended psi although I'm struggling to get the pump off quickly enough before losing a load of psi, I know it's supposed to only be air in the pump you can hear on the non valve side but this is definitely more than that and makes sense as pump is wound out it disengages from the valve slowly.

I have the rebound set in the middle at present, there's a flat fast bit of singletrack near me that is very flinty and root i.e. lots of fast bumps, with it too fast I end up bounced about and too slow dips tend to pack it down, the middle so far is a nice compromise.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my 55cr losing any air when dis-engaging the shock pump. Maybe the valve is a bit sticky and not closing off fast enough when you're removing the pump. I'd try using another pump if you have access to one and if the problem persists, then it may be worth replacing the valve core.

As for rebound, I started mine in the center position and have ended up going two clicks towards fast. Seems to suite me fine (also, I asked Marzocchi if the rebound was shimmed, and they said it wasn't, only the compression circuit is shimmed. Fork seems to work well enough without it though).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had to buy this adapter and it works fine. I can only assume the valve on the fork pokes out further and engages too early so when I take it off the seal is broke on the pump before the valve is shut. It works fine on other shocks but the adapter gets around this issue :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts