Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Havok
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stripped the frame, had it powdercoated Purple (his request)

Found a set of Cross max wheels.
Put on a kids Redline 135mm Crank.

Bought some parts:
Lightweight aluminum front fork.
Carbon seat post.
Carbon handlebar.
A new light weight seat.

Made it a 1x7. Dropped it down 3lbs to 22lbs.

IMAG0953.jpg

·
Registered
411 Posts
Goodlooking bike.
So you went from disk to v-brakes... interesting.
How comfortable is that seat, or has he had a chance to ride it yet?

·
Havok
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, switching was a tough decision, but the wheelset was SO much lighter than the disc set.

He has ridden it and he loves it. The shorter cranks help a lot and the 3 lbs seems to make a difference, he is a lot of fun to ride with.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Nice build. I am surprised that it didnt come out lighter, looks like it has the makings for a sub 20pound bike. You might weight all the parts like the stem, tires, tubes, bottom bracket, cassette to see if there is any hidden weight that can easily be dropped.

·
100.oz minimum
66 Posts
The V-brakes are definitely the way to go if a lighter bike is your goal. They have plenty of stopping power when set up well.

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
I know a number of people that had it done for ~125-150ish, though it's been a few years, so things might've gone up some. You can get some really cool finish options too, including 'chrome' (I've got a thing for chrome bikes; sign of age I imagine).

·
Havok
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a local powder coater in town that will let you throw your frame in with other orders and they only charge $80. You have to call ahead and see what colors they are using that week and wait for them to get to whatever color you want. But It's worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts