Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
if you want to stiffen up the rear end, use a Hadley 10 mm thru axle in your hub. The DT RWS axle does not stiffen up the rear end of the bike as much as the Hadley; but the DT has tool-free operation. personally i prefer the hadley, since it just needs one multi tool (the other end has a keyed tab that stops the rotation in the dropout when you're tightening or loosening the nut).

·
fan of maple syrup
1,581 Posts
frorider said:
if you want to stiffen up the rear end, use a Hadley 10 mm thru axle in your hub. The DT RWS axle does not stiffen up the rear end of the bike as much as the Hadley; but the DT has tool-free operation. personally i prefer the hadley, since it just needs one multi tool (the other end has a keyed tab that stops the rotation in the dropout when you're tightening or loosening the nut).
How do they differ in tightening ability, if they're both essentially 10mm axles? I'm just curious as I might be looking into these options soon and was under the impression the DT option was as good as a solid bolted acle. From what I can gather, the main difference would be that you can get more leverage using a big allen key on an axle over DT's little handle. Or does the hadley axle have bigger flanges or something?

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
I have used Hadley, Saint, and DT RWS at this point. I think it is a bit foolish to discredit any of them as being lesser in terms of stiffness. Without a scientific comparison and quantitative analysis it is meaningless. The Hadley seem to have the largest flanges, but I don't have an rws on-hand for comp (just going from memory).

As far as really being able to clamp down, only the Saint is appropriate for applying higher clamp forces. The DT is limited by the length of the lever arm and the Hadley has a soft alloy hex key and threads to strip. The Saint uses a steel bolt and nut capable of more torque before stripping.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
AL29er said:
I have used Hadley, Saint, and DT RWS at this point. I think it is a bit foolish to discredit any of them as being lesser in terms of stiffness. Without a scientific comparison and quantitative analysis it is meaningless. The Hadley seem to have the largest flanges, but I don't have an rws on-hand for comp (just going from memory).

As far as really being able to clamp down, only the Saint is appropriate for applying higher clamp forces. The DT is limited by the length of the lever arm and the Hadley has a soft alloy hex key and threads to strip. The Saint uses a steel bolt and nut capable of more torque before stripping.
i didn't want to get into the details since I don't have a scan of the german mag,but there was a mag review that found the DT RWS to have less clamping force than one would have thought. I agree w/ you -- it's limited by the short length of the lever arm.

Re: hadley, they use a high grade alloy and i've been tightening the hell out their thru axles (10 and 12 mm) for many years with no thread strippage. i have not done a comparison to Saint, but i can say that a) the hadley 10 mm T/A noticeably stiffens up the rear end of many bikes compared to skewer system, in my in-garage flex tests and riding tests b) in a similar test (push a given force and measure the deflection), the hadley felt stiffer than the DT RWS but I can't say the difference was huge.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Gotcha. I have heard of some ham-fisted mechanics stripping out Hadley thru bolts. Never heard of anyone doing that with the steel saint stuff. I'd be interested in checking that article on the rws if you happen across it again please post the details. I have nothing against any of the equipment in question. I am running hadley currently. They had the right combo of weight and price at the time of purchase :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
frorider said:
i didn't want to get into the details since I don't have a scan of the german mag,but there was a mag review that found the DT RWS to have less clamping force than one would have thought. I agree w/ you -- it's limited by the short length of the lever arm.
But how do find DT’s RWS compared to classic QR? Can you feel any real difference?

·
Registered
342 Posts
How much torque is recommended for the Hadley? I just got mine and I'm scared to over-tighten it. Beautful piece by the way.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
adept1 said:
How much torque is recommended for the Hadley? I just got mine and I'm scared to over-tighten it. Beautful piece by the way.
I don't know, not like it came with instructions or like they have a web page with that information :skep: I tighten mine with a park Y-wrench about as tight as I can, that is around 80-100in-lb if I had to guess. No issue with it to date.

·
Registered
342 Posts
AL29er said:
I don't know, not like it came with instructions or like they have a web page with that information :skep: I tighten mine with a park Y-wrench about as tight as I can, that is around 80-100in-lb if I had to guess. No issue with it to date.
I tightened mine to 10nm, so that's about 90 in-lb I think, so about the same. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts