Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought the Vitus Nucleus 275 VRX and it came with a 135mmx10 rear wheel...

After seeing some YT videos where I shows bent wheels, I was thinking, maybe I need a spare, and that's when I saw the problem. It seems this wheel isn't available. It looks like I would need to buy the rim, hub and spokes and build it.. This can't be, can it?

Am I stuck with 135mmx10 or is there some other wheel/hub size I can use?

Did I screw myself by being a noob?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes you are stuck with that hub/wheel size but it is readily available in prebuilt wheels. So i wouldnt be worried about keeping a spare wheel. If you ruin a rim you can always have someone put a new rim/spokes onto the old hub.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You mean you can't get one off the shelf? There is nothing stopping you or a wheelbuilder to combine any hub with any rim you desire. It won't be the OEM wheel that came with the bike, but those are not great in most cases anyway.

·
g=9.764m/s2
809 Posts
No worries, 135qr pre-made wheels are still available... Quality Wheels and Wheel Master are two affordable brands you'll find using the basic Shimano and Sram 135qr hubs. Just pay attention to the inner rim measurement, you want 21mm or higher. When you see 12x142, that is standard width hub but through axle so better hubs may have a 135qr conversion end caps available. I'm certain the are plenty used wheels out there as well. A spare wheelset is good just to have another tire type ready depending on trail conditions. For my HT I have a 24mm grippy XC set for winter/spring, 21mm fast XC set for summer/fall, and a 30mm AM set.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pr...-qr-sram-406-6-bolt-wtb-st-i23-tubeless-black

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Guess you're new to all this and don't know, but a 135x10 rear is the same hub in general as 142x12, just with different end caps, so basically you just need to look for 142x12 wheels on sale, double check they have replaceable end caps and you're good to go. FYI, CRC right now is really trying to clear out old 142x12 wheels, especially lots of Hope hub based wheels, grab yourself a set with 10mm end caps and you're good to go.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am completely new to this.. When I was looking I saw a bunch of 142x12, but really nothing at 135x10.. I was like why in the world did they setup the rear with 135, when it looks like it's a dead spec?

Ok.. back on topic.. So in reality, I can get a complete wheel with 142x12; I just need to get 135x10 end caps. I did see some listed as 142x12 (135QR). I guess that mean they comes with the 135x10 end caps.

If I just get a 142x12 wheel, can I use my existing end caps or do I have to get 135x10 end caps that are specific to the hub?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
They spec'd that axle configuration because it is a cheaper option, like specing 9spd or lower end fork, it gets them to meet their budget for the particular bike. Some manufacturers do this in the weirdest places, others spread it acros the board, so to speak.

You will need the manufacturer specific end caps. If you find wheels that you're interested in, if you can find definitive info on if they're swap-able, you could come back and post links to let other more knowledgeable help you. Unless the hub being used is a cup and cone, most are using end caps and most have ones that will swap back to 135x10 QR from 142x12, some like Hope have end caps that actually swap to a 10mm TA type and you then use a solid 10mm TA instead of the 5mm QR.

I am completely new to this.. When I was looking I saw a bunch of 142x12, but really nothing at 135x10.. I was like why in the world did they setup the rear with 135, when it looks like it's a dead spec?

Ok.. back on topic.. So in reality, I can get a complete wheel with 142x12; I just need to get 135x10 end caps. I did see some listed as 142x12 (135QR). I guess that mean they comes with the 135x10 end caps.

If I just get a 142x12 wheel, can I use my existing end caps or do I have to get 135x10 end caps that are specific to the hub?

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guy.. I'll keep my eyes open for a decent deal on these wheels. I'm a bit shocked at the pricing.. Makes me think I should order a 275 VR to use as a parts bike.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Hahahaha :D Yup, think this is something most experience when they first start out and do more than just tool around on the bike paths once a week for a few months, then once or twice a month etc compared to those who really enjoy and get into the sport. I tell people that most of the parts now I bolt onto my bike cost more than my entire bike I purchased when I first started out.

What you have to remember, that despite how it might seem to most, the higher end MTB market is not a very big one, not compared to say motorcycles, so just that fact alone and lower production runs, make stuff cost more. Then add in the fact that these bicycles are being powered by most who don't even generated a 1/4" HP and weight becomes a very big factor, so figuring out how to make stuff light, yet strong=expensive parts. The good news is, once you buy yourself a really good set of wheels, they can last you for years and years - I still have my Hope hubs from 11 years ago, just swapped out bearings a couple times.

Thanks guy.. I'll keep my eyes open for a decent deal on these wheels. I'm a bit shocked at the pricing.. Makes me think I should order a 275 VR to use as a parts bike.

·
turtles make me hot
11,680 Posts
First thing you can do to make those wheels last as long as possible, short of bashing them in a rock garden is have the bike shop or a knowledgeable wheel builder go over the wheels. Factory wheels suck for the most part and having them tensioned and de stressed will go a long way toward fighting that.

That 135x10 spec isn't a big deal. You could make a hub like that from a Hope, DT Swiss or Bike Hub Store hub. If the rims on that bike are fragile, ride em until you wreck em and build entirely new wheels with any of the hubs mentioned and a pair of RaceFace Arcs. Build won't break the bank and it will be good and strong.

I had a 135 quick release FS bike a while back that I converted to 135x10. Much better setup than the QR.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I bought the Vitus Nucleus 275 VRX and it came with a 135mmx10 rear wheel...

After seeing some YT videos where I shows bent wheels, I was thinking, maybe I need a spare, and that's when I saw the problem. It seems this wheel isn't available. It looks like I would need to buy the rim, hub and spokes and build it.. This can't be, can it?

Am I stuck with 135mmx10 or is there some other wheel/hub size I can use?

Did I screw myself by being a noob?

Thanks!
Hi, I was wondering how you got on with finding a suitable wheel set for the Nucleus 275 VRX? I have the same bike and am encountering this exact problem with trying to find suitable wheels! What seemed like a great bike at an amazing price at the beginning is now beginning to seem like not such a bargain after all when you start to learn a bit more about quality of components etc! My bearings in my front wheel have gone after only 200ish miles of riding and my bike mechanic has said the hubs used in the Nucleus are the cheapest of the cheap and I would be better replacing them with a good set with sealed bearings.

·
g=9.764m/s2
809 Posts
Hi, I was wondering how you got on with finding a suitable wheel set for the Nucleus 275 VRX? I have the same bike and am encountering this exact problem with trying to find suitable wheels! What seemed like a great bike at an amazing price at the beginning is now beginning to seem like not such a bargain after all when you start to learn a bit more about quality of components etc! My bearings in my front wheel have gone after only 200ish miles of riding and my bike mechanic has said the hubs used in the Nucleus are the cheapest of the cheap and I would be better replacing them with a good set with sealed bearings.
Worldwide has decent QR wheels ready to ship...
https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pages/search-results-page?q=135mm+rear+wheel

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The wheel is standard quick release. Seems the 135x10 is throwing people, because that's actually a different standard from the 90's where the quick release was the axle.

The most budget friendly high quality wheels might be DT E1900. They run about $225 euros on bike24. Just look for 135qr. These are convertible though, so if you found a cheap deal on a 142 model you can convert them for $25 or so 9which is what I did, I got the 29er version for $201 euros and put QR caps on).

Shimano makes lots of 135QR wheels of course available virtually everywhere, and if you want to pay more, there is hope, and the more expensive DT models.

I do wish some companies would stop speccing these cheap hubs on otherwise very nice rims / bikes. My GT grade has a very nice sealed bearing formula rear hub, and a horrific pile of garbage for the front hub. Seriously wouldn't have added more than $5-$10 to put on a better hub...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.