Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone think 135mm is too tall for the current RIP?

I've been thinking lately the RIP may be compromised with this fork.

Conditions have gone super wintery (mud, ice etc) and on steep downs I have noticed substantially reduced braking capacity and on fast cornering impending wash out. I attribute this to the fork height and a too slack an angle... (trails rode back to back with a SIR9 @ 100mm)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Dude, you still have the RIP9 :???:

As to the question......me personally think that 120mm is quite enough for the RIP9 and don't think I'd like it with anything taller. Liked a lot how the RIP9 felt with the Minute 120mm @530 A to C, might even consider lowering it somehow to 110mm (once fixed) as I went back to the Reba in the meantime until I can get the "fix" for it (the noise really gets to me) and realy like the lower A to C, but think maybe a bit taller would be nice. Not sure what it was, but with the 120mm fork I was getting seriously weird sensations sometimes while climbing of the rear wheel really dragging/pulling and not sure why, but haven't felt it now I'm back on the Reba :???:

·
Purveyor of Fine 29erness
626 Posts
I found the 135 to be a great fork. I had one on my first RIP, and didn't notice any poor handling traits. I was beginning to treat the bike like I imagine a WFO would like to be treated, and decided to de-stroke the front end on my second RIP to avoid any visits to the emergency room.
I found the Fox 120 to be adequate, only marginal pedal strikes. Steering precision/stiffness was close to the same as the WBs 20mm axle.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Monkey said:
I found the 135 to be a great fork. I had one on my first RIP, and didn't notice any poor handling traits. I was beginning to treat the bike like I imagine a WFO would like to be treated, and decided to de-stroke the front end on my second RIP to avoid any visits to the emergency room.
I found the Fox 120 to be adequate, only marginal pedal strikes. Steering precision/stiffness was close to the same as the WBs 20mm axle.
Thanks George. I am finding I cannot scrub enough speed off on very steep downs. It feels like there's not enough weight on the front. To put more weight forwards may mean a dangerous and unbalanced act, as well as a trip to A&E. The SIR's front wheel just feels right. It's seems a little closer and more under me, and is intuitive to control.

I have just swapped out the front ends of the bikes and extended the Team to 120mm, to see how this compares on the RIP. I'll of course post back...

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After today's ride with the Reba Team set at 120 I feel the bike’s balance has been restored. The front feels more planted, weighted correctly, and solid too, so another thumbs up for the new Reba.

For out and out fairly straight-line blasting, through and over stuff in favourable conditions, the longer travel White Brothers is really a ball. It can let you get away with alot.

But, there has always been something subconsciously bugging me about the fork and the feel of the front end of the RIP. I generally have to work a little harder with the front, concentrate more on it, especially on the more technical, tight stuff. I never get this on the SIR.

I have been using the RIP all last week for the first time in a couple of months (it has been out of action). On Sunday’s ride I missed a steep, slow downhill turn onto a ledge I usually get every time, I just slipped straight past it and was forced to take the easier line. I was surprised, and puzzled, but rather than put this miss down to poor skill, I suspected the cause was possibly from the slack angle made from the longer fork. The subconscious had been made conscious.

Yesterday I decided to ride the SIR as comparison, as I have no complaints from that front end, or indeed anything else about it. From the outset the different front end feel was immediately apparent and confirmed what I had thought.

So to sum up, the RIP feels more ‘right’ now, and in many ways similar to the SIR. I guess it’s just riding like a Niner should? In fact didn’t Niner design the present RIP around a 100mm fork?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've gotten a couple more good rides in on the Reba now and I have to say I need to revise my initial impressions.

Firstly, I think the Reba Team a great fork. No need to go over what others have said, but Rock Shox have what looks like a fit 'n forget 29er fork you can rely on. Coming from an old 100mm Reba Race it is joy :) I have noticed pedal strikes though, where they have never bothered me before

I am a novice rider and have only been riding 29ers for about 2 years. But in my simple back to back comparison, the front end with the 135 fork made for harder work on the steep downs and in the tight and twisty.

I have to say conditions are very wet, cold and muddy with leaves all over the trail. When I was riding with the F135 during summer I didn't have hardly an issue.

I have my eye on the 09 RIP which although seems to have the same geo (HT & ST) as present, Niner do say it is spec'd for a 120, so I am going to keep the WB fork and try it on that bike. +15mm height difference is less than the 35mm I have increased my present RIP by, so hopefully will not make as much difference

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I had the wb130 which is completely different than the 135, not just the height but the internals too. I didnt like the Rips handling with the 130, just slowed it down too much, I went back to the reba 100 and all was good, I recently installed a new Reba 120 and this is like the 2 were made for each other. Not sure if the height is why or maybe a combination of height, offset, stiffness, 20mm axle but its a great combo no matter
FYI the 09 Rip has a tapered head tube I hear adaptors will be available and eventually a tapered Reba & Fox

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Got to agree with Dan0 on this one, I think that 135 is too tall for the RIP. I bought a Minute 120 and it suits the RIP well as I said, but after switching back to my old REBA while waiting for the fix kit I think that maybe somewhere in between would be perfect, but I did like how the bike rode with the 120. I think the Minute and new Reba have similar offset, so either or to me is fine. I just wish Manitou would hurry up and get the fix kit back in stock so I can put it back on.

dan0 said:
I had the wb130 which is completely different than the 135, not just the height but the internals too. I didnt like the Rips handling with the 130, just slowed it down too much, I went back to the reba 100 and all was good, I recently installed a new Reba 120 and this is like the 2 were made for each other. Not sure if the height is why or maybe a combination of height, offset, stiffness, 20mm axle but its a great combo no matter
FYI the 09 Rip has a tapered head tube I hear adaptors will be available and eventually a tapered Reba & Fox

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.