Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have real weights or info on these wheels from Wheels Bike.it?
Weights correct? Hubs any good?

WB 4000
Mountain wheels absolutely among the lightest, with SUPER LIGHT rim that
guarantees lightness and reliability in all the conditions of use. Available for tyres and tubeless (with kit). Available Disc model only.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Not so light...

From their website:

SUPER LIGHT DISC • Weight Set 1320 gr. • Set € 818,00
ALUMINIUM DISC TUBELESS • Weight Set 1620 gr.
ALUMINIUM DISC T-TUBE • Weight Set 1500 gr.

Ole.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My AM Classic ISO set with Sapim spokes weighed in at 1368 and I raced them all last year and have ridden them all winter with zip problems....but then I weigh 135. But they're only around $500 . They aren't tubeless but work flawlessly with Stan's and about any Kenda tire.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, according to my supplier, the Mag version is discontinued.
The aliminum verion is close to 1700g and cost too much.

I thouight the mag version at sub 1400g might be something to look into.
But at that pricing, I9 hubs and ZTR rims will cost less and similar weight.

Oh well...

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
And anyway they are Disc only.;) You owe me an email, I think. I hope it's good news or my weekend will be wrecked.:skep: ;)

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Modolo....

DIRT BOY said:
Anyone have real weights or info on these wheels from Wheels Bike.it?
Weights correct? Hubs any good?

WB 4000
Mountain wheels absolutely among the lightest, with SUPER LIGHT rim that
guarantees lightness and reliability in all the conditions of use. Available for tyres and tubeless (with kit). Available Disc model only.

those wheels are from italian manufacturer Modolo.
they look nice but i have never ever had so bad running hubs in my hands! they had these wheels at eurobike, very close to the Eclipse booth. they stink!! wheel weights are not correct. these are really much heavier.

the guy from "easytubeless" offers a "tubekesskit" which consists of 2 yellow michelin plastic rimstrips, a valve and some sealant for 80 euro!!! i went there interested in his kit wearing an Eclipse shirt since i helped my friend Andy at his eclipse booth. so that guy obviously was ashamed and felt guilty for offering such a cheap copy of the real Eclipse Tubelesskit. when i confronted him with some critisism on his product the sales manager( might well be the boss) of Modolo stepped in and showed me a sponsored rider standing next to us saying "he is italian marathon champion using this kit"...that's when i replied" well - Thomas Frischknecht became worldchampion using Eclipse!". end of the story.

no really - i have never ever had so rough running hubs in my hands!

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
i thought frishy became

nino said:
those wheels are from italian manufacturer Modolo.
they look nice but i have never ever had so bad running hubs in my hands! they had these wheels at eurobike, very close to the Eclipse booth. they stink!! wheel weights are not correct. these are really much heavier.

the guy from "easytubeless" offers a "tubekesskit" which consists of 2 yellow michelin plastic rimstrips, a valve and some sealant for 80 euro!!! i went there interested in his kit wearing an Eclipse shirt since i helped my friend Andy at his eclipse booth. so that guy obviously was ashamed and felt guilty for offering such a cheap copy of the real Eclipse Tubelesskit. when i confronted him with some critisism on his product the sales manager( might well be the boss) of Modolo stepped in and showed me a sponsored rider standing next to us saying "he is italian marathon champion using this kit"...that's when i replied" well - Thomas Frischknecht became worldchampion using Eclipse!". end of the story.

no really - i have never ever had so rough running hubs in my hands!
became world champ on dugast tubulars! was is gilberto simoni at the booth as he is
the italian marathon champ?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
2 times wrong!

peabody said:
became world champ on dugast tubulars! was is gilberto simoni at the booth as he is
the italian marathon champ?
no my dear - Frischi became worldchampion using ECLIPSE TUBELESSKIT.
http://www.tubelesskit.com/2005/index.html
it's now that he often uses tubular wheels. but according to Frischi's mechanic he uses now 1/3 Eclipse Tubelesskit, 1/3 tubular and 1/3 tubes (in mud). many many durability issues with the tubular wheels...

Gilberto Simoni is a famous italian roadie pro and definitely not marathon champion. but he is riding Scott so he must be on your hate list, right?
he is a former winner of the Giro d'Italia in 2001 and 2003. one of the very big names in the peloton.
http://www.simonigilberto.it/index.php?id=2,174,0,0,1,0#

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
i like simoni

nino said:
no my dear - Frischi became worldchampion using ECLIPSE TUBELESSKIT.
http://www.tubelesskit.com/2005/index.html
it's now that he often uses tubular wheels. but according to Frischi's mechanic he uses now 1/3 Eclipse Tubelesskit, 1/3 tubular and 1/3 tubes (in mud). many many durability issues with the tubular wheels...

Gilberto Simoni is a famous italian roadie pro and definitely not marathon champion. but he is riding Scott so he must be on your hate list, right?
he is a former winner of the Giro d'Italia in 2001 and 2003. one of the very big names in the peloton.
http://www.simonigilberto.it/index.php?id=2,174,0,0,1,0#
and you better get your facts straight cuz he is 2006 italian national marathon champion.
he raced mtbs at the end of the yr. i like scott bikes and frishy and simoni, i just dont
like you always proclaiming all of your stuff as the best with no issues.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
peabody said:
and you better get your facts straight cuz he is 2006 italian national marathon champion.
he raced mtbs at the end of the yr. i like scott bikes and frishy and simoni, i just dont
like you always proclaiming all of your stuff as the best with no issues.
where did i tell something about no issues here? i was just telling my experience with those Modolo wheels and the guys behind. you once again posted without saying anything thread related. i would really like to see you posting valuable info.

i spent about 1 hout on that booth, talkin italian to my "brothers". we actually had a good time and they came over to our booth the next day as well. i'ts just that this tubeless-copy stinks big time and the wheels hubs were really, really bad. BUT i was also attracted by their looks and by the big letters saying magnesium rims with ceramic etcetc...that's what also got my interest.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
well...

Robin said:
A bit OT.

But...Frischi became marathon worldchampion in 2005, Lillehammer Norway riding on Dugast tubulars, not with eclipse tubelesskit.
the one below : Frischi crossing the finish line wearing the swiss national jersey at the worlds 2003 in Lugano....he not only won the worlds but also several worldcup races with Eclipse.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
from what i was told

from the inside is that he was actually using stans liquid because it sealed better
than the eclipse liquid, and now he uses tubs to avoid using eclipse liquid. apparently
it is too thick.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
no!

peabody said:
from the inside is that he was actually using stans liquid because it sealed better
than the eclipse liquid, and now he uses tubs to avoid using eclipse liquid. apparently
it is too thick.
sorry - that's just all big Bullsh!t

·
Registered
15 Posts
nino said:
the one below : Frischi crossing the finish line wearing the swiss national jersey at the worlds 2003 in Lugano....he not only won the worlds but also several worldcup races with Eclipse.
True.....but....2003 was before he started using Dugast Tubulars and it seems to me that after 2003 Frischi has been using Dugast Tubulars in most of his important races.
For example he used Dugast Tubulars in the 2004 worlds xc, Olympics (rear wheel only, crashed his front wheel), in 2005 worlds marathon and xc, in 2006 worlds xc and mostly in the world cup events.
I know he had a great year in 2003, but if he thought that the Eclipse system was superior, why did he start using Dugast Tubulars in the first place?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
i know...

29Colossus said:
:lol:

How do you know! You don't know!
because i know him - as easy as that.
he still uses eclipse in 30% of the races. he also uses inner tubes when it is muddy.

who do you think made Scott choose Eclipse as their supplier for their Tubelesskits???
who is the guy pictured on front of the package?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
nino said:
because i know him - as easy as that.
he still uses eclipse in 30% of the races. he also uses inner tubes when it is muddy.
I find this a bit hard to believe. He clearly does not use Eclipse anymore in the most important races. Lets take 2006. Frischi did not use eclipse tubelsekit in any of the world cup events, he used Dugast Tubulars in all of them. He used tubulars in Fort William and Spa world cup, very, very muddy, the same did Nino Schruter. He also used Dugast in the worlds xc and marathon (I think).

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.