Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a 130mm front fork change the geometry of the 5 spot to where it will not handlle as well as if it had a 125 or 120mm fork? I would like a bit more travel..

Thanks,

Zip

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
It depends on what for you get. If you get the same fork with 5mm more travel (ie 04 vs 05 Vanilla), you won't notice it. If you replace say an 04 Vanilla with an 04 or 05 Marzocchi, you'll definatelly will feel the difference because of a taller axle to crown height on a zoke. Basically, check AC height of the fork, especially it's sagged, or riding position AC, 5-10mm of difference will probably go unnoticed, anything more will make it noticable slower or twitchier, depending on which way you go.

_MK

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Zip said:
Will a 130mm front fork change the geometry of the 5 spot to where it will not handlle as well as if it had a 125 or 120mm fork? I would like a bit more travel..

Thanks,

Zip
The 5 Spot was designed around the 125mm Fox Vanilla. Check the axle-to-crown distance (the vanilla a-c was approx 495mm).

I believe the 130mm vanilla has the same a-c as the 125. You should check.

Having said that. Using a fork with a longer a-c will change the handling to make it handle better at higher speeds, but it will slow the lower speed steering. I use a fork with a 517mm a-c and I prefer it to the Vanilla......YMMV

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
I believe the 130mm vanilla has the same a-c as the 125. You should check. ... Using a fork with a longer a-c will change the handling to make it handle better at higher speeds, but it will slow the lower speed steering ...
130 and 125 vanilla have the same AC for their given travel setting, so a 130 niller will be 5mm taller than 125. And what Blue Shorts said in the second statement, it's more capable way of explaining it than what I said.

_MK

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The 130 Foxes are 5mm taller than the 125mm Foxes.

I notice 10mm height changes subtley. A lot has to do with sag and what the mid-stroke behavior in the fork is though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.