Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Some guy
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 120mm XFusion Velvet RL2 that came with my 2014 Thunderbolt 730 is a clattering mess after 2000km of usage. I've never liked it (it pales in comparison to the Reba Race on the bike it replaced) so I'm not inclined to spend money on a service. Any reason why I couldn't replace it with a 130mm fork (probably a RS Revelation or Pike if I can afford it)? Would the extra 10mm radically alter the way the bike feels? Any recommendations for a good value fork for the Thunderbolt that is available in 100mm spacing?

·
Some guy
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well so I went ahead and purchased a Pike RC 130-160mm Dual Position. Was not searching for a Dual fork but it was a pretty good deal on a near-mint fork. 160mm travel is obviously crazy high for the Thunderbolt so I plan to be in 130mm mode 99.9% of the time. Although 160mm mode might be interesting to try on a steep descent or two.

·
Some guy
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did this work out, I am interested in trying something similar
It's fantastic. I use it 99% of the time in 130mm mode and only occasionally dial it out to 160mm for a rapid descent. The fork is a huge improvement and the extra 10mm has not radically altered the feel of the bike. Descending is more confident but I feel that it's mostly because of the improvement in the fork itself rather than the geometry change. I can't see any downside to taking a Thunderbolt to 130mm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.