Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have seen that a few companies like Stan's and Enve either have or will have disc cx wheelsets. But they have 135mm spacing. While Redline's new Carbon Conquest, and another bike I can't think of, have 130mm spacing in their disc ready frames. What the hell is going on?
Thanks

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Theres a company

called "proton" that makes a 130mm spaced hub with a disc flange. But there freewheels are weaksauce.

A frame with 132.5mm spacing will allow either a 130mm or 135mm spaced hub. I know my swobo crosby and the soma DC disc are 132.5.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,260 Posts
What happened was that the disc tabs were an after thought on that frame, just thrown on at the end. All of the companies making their CX bikes with the intention of disc are spacing the frames to 135mm so they can take any high quality dis hub in the world, Chris King, Hope, Etc, you name it.
This. I noticed a lot of this when I was looking for a frame to build as a commuter. I essentially wanted a cross bike with 700c wheels. but because I wanted disc brakes, that made things complicated. 130mm spaced frames often do not have disc tabs, and for the few that do, there are even fewer 130mm disc hubs.

I wound up with an On-One that had 135mm spacing. As for wheels, I just had a custom set built on mtb disc hubs and road rims. Of course, that order seems to have confused someone because I ended up with the order getting screwed up multiple times so far. However it shouldn't be that difficult to just have the rim you want laced to a hub that will fit.

In a couple years, I could totally see all CX frames being built with 132.5mm spacing at minimum, with a handful being disc-only and 135mm spacing. For that matter, I could even see road bikes going to a wider spacing in the future because I do see them eventually adopting disc brakes when viable models for racing become available and the UCI gets the stick out of their @$$.

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
It looks the wheel companies are too cheap to make the proper wheel. They're just re labeling 29er wheelsets as cyclocross wheelsets.
I see this as backwards.

I'd rather see 135mm frames and lighter 135mm hubs.

Specialized's disc frames are 135mm, so my guess is that will end up being the standard.

Besides, wouldn't you like to be able to throw your 135mm "cyclocross" wheelset into your 29er, 26" or 650b mountain bike.

700c disc wheels in a mtb make for a fast errand bike.

Being able to throw your 29er wheelset onto your cross bike (with 45c tires or so) makes for one less wheelset you have to buy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I see this as backwards.

Specialized's disc frames are 135mm, so my guess is that will end up being the standard.

Besides, wouldn't you like to be able to throw your 135mm "cyclocross" wheelset into your 29er, 26" or 650b mountain bike.

Being able to throw your 29er wheelset onto your cross bike (with 45c tires or so) makes for one less wheelset you have to buy.
Somehow I can see this as NOT happening just as you said about using one wheelset for multiple kinds of bikes. It seems now-a-days with the "industry" being so big they will find a way so you still have to purchase multiple wheelsets.

Not saying I like this but is my gut feeling.

·
Registered
570 Posts
A question for any techs out there. I didn't know that any frames were made w/ 132.5mm spacing. I was looking to buy a carbon cyclocross frame that is new but a few years old that has disc tabs only. I expected it to be either 130 or 135 spacing and the buyer couldn't tell me what it was. When I looked at the frame it appeared to be about 132mm. I thought it definitely wasn't 135 and wouldn't work for me. I believe the future of disc CX to be 135mm. So.....I find out there are 132.5 spaced frames to accomodate either hub spacing, but in CARBON? Any thoughts on spreading a carbon frame a millimeter+ on both chanstays every time you insert the rear wheel?
one of the reasons for wanting 135mm is two nice sets of 29er wheelsets.
TIA
Andy

·
Registered
570 Posts
Really? What frame was it? I have heard plenty of good success stories from owners of steel bikes w/ 132.5 spacing. My question wasn't really about the fit because I thought this wouldn't be much of an issue. It's the durability that is my biggest concern.
Thanks
andy

·
Registered
570 Posts
I emailed Calfee and they said no problem w/ getting a 132.5mm rear spaced CX frame. They have built them w/ no problems. Their bikes come w/ a great warranty so I think we should be fine......if you get a calfee:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I see this as backwards.

What about differing disc rotor sizes?

·
Monkey Wrench
353 Posts
Every Calfee that my shop worked on was out of alignment by several millimeters at the rear end (to one side, not the dropout spacing). I would expect them to be ok with fudging the rear end spacing since they already fudge the rest of their numbers...

With that said, I would love to see ROAD bikes go to 135mm to give us less dish (more stifness) and room for more cogs. If the entire industry would switch to 135 for QR hubs for Road/CX/Mtn/Hybrid/etc we could sell a bunch of wheels to roadies and simplify life for the rest of us.

135mm is the standard for disc QR and the only companies trying to pass 130mm on disc frames are the ones trying to make a dual brake application or who don't want to retool to make the right size rear end. If it's 130mm disc, it's just trying to save the company money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.