Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '04 Diamondback XTS Super Moto frame with the Manitou 6-way swinger shock (5.25 - 6.5"). Now I need a fork and I don't know if I should get a 5" or 6" fork. I was looking at either a Fox Vanilla or Float 130R, or possibly a Manitou Sherman Firefly 110/150. I'm not a heavy/tall rider, but I will be doing XC/freeride biking. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strafer said:
Have you considered Pike at all?
140 mm travel is right in the middle of the two forks you mentioned.
I have considered it, and the travel looks good, but I've heard mixed things about the Pikes. From what I've seen, Fox and Manitou are better quality.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,333 Posts
johnbettsboy said:
I have considered it, and the travel looks good, but I've heard mixed things about the Pikes. From what I've seen, Fox and Manitou are better quality.
Hey, we all have our preferences, so I am not trying to change your mind about this, but the Pike has been getting pretty good reviews so far. Definitly not the Rock Shox of past infamy. After my experiences with past Rock Shox junk, I had written the company off as a small step above RST, but after all the good things I was hearing about the Pike I decided to try it and I am very impressed. It is a solid fork that delivers for a very good price, and Motion Control really works. They are doing something right over at the new Rock Shox.

Kapusta

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
i say get the vanilla so you can set it and leave it. coil is more reliable especially if you want an all-around bike. plus i think 150 travel would be a little to slack for regular trail riding. you cant go wrong with the Vanilla or Pike, i just like the vanilla a little better. and yes i have owned both

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
johnbettsboy said:
even though i'm not a heavy rider, coil would still be better than air?
Well there is no all around "better" fork. if you do more than pure xc than a coil will be better imo. and i am 150 geared so weight really does not matter. just get the right spring.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
For me it came down to

johnbettsboy said:
tunability because with my vanilla i fell in between spring rates. I got tired of messing with it..Whereas the air medium is tunable to my weight out of the box.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
johnbettsboy said:
Air shocks are not the fragile pieces for lightweights they used to be. Blew sids and Cane Creeks in my XC days at 230.

The fork should be fine unless your doing alot of rough hucking.

Hell the Fox 36 is air, and they have a DHX air coming out (both of which will find their way onto a Heckler or Nomad once I make that decision!!)

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
jrm said:
tunability because with my vanilla i fell in between spring rates. I got tired of messing with it..Whereas the air medium is tunable to my weight out of the box.
Ya i had the same problem but solved it. just have the two spring rates you are between and if you are riding a smooth trail then put in the lighter one and if the trail is rough then put the stiffer one in. i can swap out a spring in under 3 minutes now.

·
Registered
606 Posts
cdub said:
Ya i had the same problem but solved it. just have the two spring rates you are between and if you are riding a smooth trail then put in the lighter one and if the trail is rough then put the stiffer one in. i can swap out a spring in under 3 minutes now.
Have you ever considered cutting both springs in half and taping them together? Best of both worlds should get you right in the middle! ;) ;) ;) :D

·
heckler and jekyll
154 Posts
if its xc and light fr i'd give a nixon elite a serious look. i've got it on my heckler and it is just awesome (just be sure to get the right springs for you though)

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
You do realize that a 150mm AM1 is adjustible down to 130mm and anywhere in between? a 130mm AM1 is adjustible down to 110mm, so you'll be very well served by the 150 model.

_MK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.