Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Colorado
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Specialized forum, but got no response so I thought I'd try here. My wife has suddenly developed the hots for this bike. Looks like a perfect bike for her, but I'm concerned about the Brain suspension, which I'm not that familiar with. I do know there's strong opinions on both sides, but I'm wondering if anyone can speak to how well it works on this particular frame. She's an experienced older rider, not particularly aggressive, but she does ride some fairly technical single track. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Brain is an inertial mass threshold device (the same idea as Fox Forks Terralogic). I know people who like them. That said, it's definitely for people who don't like their suspension active all the time. I've heard, but can't confirm that setup is a bit persnickety, though.

·
The Other F Word
578 Posts

·
Colorado
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
13 feet? ;) (I think you meant 13".)

I assume you've read our relevant sticky: http://forums.mtbr.com/womens-lounge/faq-what-bike-buy-gf-wsd-saddles-small-bikes-etc-176458.html

I rented a Safire over the weekend & rode it for about 11 hours. My impressions:
- autosag: didn't do the deed.
- if you're looking at a lower-end build, expect to upgrade the fork, or it will beat the crap out of you.

gabrielle
Thanks for the comments. I've bought my wife, or rather, she, with some help from me, has bought several bikes. The Brain suspension is the issue here. BTW, 13' was meant to indicate it's a 2013 model. Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts