Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Essentially sure. There are two ways to approach this one is much more expensive and the other....well not so much.

1) Purchase a new 12mm x 135mm hub and an Azonic Momentum Axle that converts 12mm through axel to standard 3/8 (10mm)axle. Cost with wheel build will probably cost you about 230-250.

2) Purchase a Gusset Jury hub, the Jury hub features an oversize 12mm axle for superior strength which is machined in the right places to fit regular 10mm dropouts. Cost with wheel build less than 100-125.

I went with the Gusset hub for my Big Hit, after seeing it on Josh Benders Scream and talking to him. He said it was a solid hub and so far he's been right.

Gusset Jury hub:

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
ask your bike shop to put on a dirt jump axle...I did that on my 02 Big Hit which had a quick release
Yeah you could also do that, however it's not a 12mm. I also have a 10mm bolt on axle wheel for my Big Hit as well. It is by far the cheapest option costs about $25 for parts and if your mechanically inclined you can change it yourself.

Heres more info on the 10mm bolt on axle.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Slotted 12mm axle, so the flats are 10mm. You could also just cut the flats with a dremel yourself.
Yeah you could, however it would still be cheaper to convert to a solid 10mm or buy a Gusset, since you'd still have to purchase a 12mm hub which are not cheap.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
red5 said:
Yeah you could also do that, however it's not a 12mm.postid=1127301#poststop]10mm bolt on axle[/url].
Bottom line didn't have no trouble with it for 2 1/2 years, then sold the bike and it is still working a year 1/2 later....so 4 years for the mathmatically challenged

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Bottom line didn't have no trouble with it for 2 1/2 years, then sold the bike and it is still working a year 1/2 later....so 4 years for the mathmatically challenged
Never said you did or that it was a bad idea. Just pointing out too the original poster that doing the conversion doesn't change it to a 12mm. Yeah know, for the gramatically challenged.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
red5 said:
Never said you did or that it was a bad idea. Just pointing out too the original poster that doing the conversion doesn't change it to a 12mm. Yeah know, for the gramatically challenged.
no worries...............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.