Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought some wheels and being super smart like I am didn't realize that the rear axle was a 12mm..... What do I need to do to convert these things or am I just screwed....? Links would be appreciated....

For what it's worth I'm converting my giant reign.... Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Hub brand and model?

Some models are easily and cheaply changed, others are not, without knowingthe specific model it's not possible to tell you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wheel set is a pair of take offs I bought on eBay from someone who took them off of his anthem.... They are the giant hubs with 12mm through in the rear.... There are these little end caps that are threaded if that helps... Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
914 Posts
If it's 135x12mm axle then sun ringle makes a step down axle you can get. If it's 142x12mm then you will need to see if the hub is convertible to 135mm spacing by changing either the end caps or the axle and end caps.

Basically, if the wheel fits into your bikes drop out without trying to force anything(and you just can't bolt it down) then all you need is the step down axle. If the wheel is too wide then you'll need to see if the hub is convertible.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's 135x12mm axle then sun ringle makes a step down axle you can get. If it's 142x12mm then you will need to see if the hub is convertible to 135mm spacing by changing either the end caps or the axle and end caps.

Basically, if the wheel fits into your bikes drop out without trying to force anything(and you just can't bolt it down) then all you need is the step down axle. If the wheel is too wide then you'll need to see if the hub is convertible.
Gracias.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soooo it is a 142x12mm and I need. 135 QR... FML.... I think I'm screwed.... I might be selling a wheel set now.. Lol

·
Registered
914 Posts
Which anthem did it come off of? The only 27.5 anthem with 142mm spacing I found on Giant's website is the carbon wheels P-XCR0? The description says its Giant hub shell with DT internals....I'm guessing that the DT conversion kit might work. Maybe you can call Giant directly and ask them?

·
Registered
467 Posts
All of the Giant 27.5 bikes in the Anthem line are 12x142, the bad is only the P-XCR1/0 are DT Swiss hub internals. The P-XCR2 wheels use another type of hub.

Look on the side of the wheel and see which set you have, worst case is you could always replace the hub with another one that works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts