Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone run a longer stroke fork on a trance? how many mm of travel does the rear have? Giant says 4.2" isn't that 110mm? so a 125 mm or 120mm fork shouldn't be too much, right?

thanks

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
120 to 130 forks are popular on Trances. Just pay attention to the axel to crown dimension on the fork. If your under 505mm you should be ok. I think 490mm would be better. There have been plenty of previous posts on this subject. Do a search.

·
I ride bikes
229 Posts
Yes Giant says 4.2" rear travel and 4" front is the stock specs. If I ever decide to upgrade my F100RL on my Trance 1 I'll go with 5".

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Nice ride robot. That 36 looks massive on the Trance :thumbsup: Do you use the full travel, and how's the climbing? What does it wiegh?

·
Registered
205 Posts
All Mountain said:
Nice ride robot. That 36 looks massive on the Trance :thumbsup: Do you use the full travel, and how's the climbing? What does it wiegh?
Thanks. The bike is a bit front heavy, but not so bad that I'd change much.

I use full travel on the fork pretty regularly but I've got it set so it ramps up hard at the end of its stroke. Slow speed compression is excellent.

For climbing, it's way slower than a bike with lighter wheels but where I ride -- the climbs are really steep and most of the uphill is done in low gears -- speed isn't really an issue. That's why I have a set of xc / trail wheels with lighter tires (CrossMax XLs / 2.35 Nevegal single ply).

With the heavy wheels, the bike weighs in at just over 33.5 lbs; with the xc wheels, it weighs 30.5 lbs.

Definitely not a lightweight xc rig, but it's super fun as an aggressive trail bike. Aside from a couple of things, it's the best bike I've ever owned.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
philonwheels how do you like the revalation on the trance? I was thinking about getting a trance and putting a revalation on it. do you use the u-turn much? what travel setting do you use the most?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Feels pretty good. Still deciding on steerer length before I cut it again hence havent had it on that long. I run it at between 105 and 110, idea being to balance out the 4.2 inch rear travel (no science in that).
So far I only wind down the travel for really steep or prolonged climbs as it takes bout 3 turns to get it down which ain't amazingly difficult but requires a slight balancing act and bout 5-10secs.
Travel at 130 feels really comfortable going downhill and was exactly what I was looking for. Other advantage is that you can leave it at this length on the flat if your getting a bit knackered and prefer a bit more of a relaxed position.

Also good time to buy at the moment as the prices have dropped. Think revelation 2007 has 85-130mm travel.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Seriously looking at a Revelation also for my Trance, I think it's the ideal fork for the Trance with perfect travel settings/capabilities.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Think I'll be getting some revelations for my Trance in the next couple of weeks. on the 426's you can choose between the Coil U-turn (85-130 Travel) and the Air U-Turn (100-130 Travel). Pretty obvious trade off between the two. These will replace my Fox Vanillas currently set to 100mm, as I'd like more travel but don't want to upset the climbing ability of my trance.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Firebrand , 07 talas or older? wonder if it was a '07 to get a 90, 110, 130 or a 100, 120 , 140, I love my fox vanilla , but I might get a revalation if I can get a good deal on a trance 4to upgrade as I want. the new talas's are suposed to be sick.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you're thinking about a Revelation- do it!

I've owned Manitou & Fox... but this fork takes the cake. I'd rather this fork than the Talas anyday. With all the pos & neg air chambers and motion control it's so tuneable- It's my perfect trail fork :D

In terms of running a Trance with 125mm... no problems at all. Just slows the steering the down a touch.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good advice folks, I've ordered the 2007 Air U-turn Revelations, hopefully having them delivered tomorow. Fox Vanillas will move back to the Trek Fuel as a bike for the girlfriend.

·
Registered
71 Posts
rekibtm said:
Firebrand , 07 talas or older? wonder if it was a '07 to get a 90, 110, 130 or a 100, 120 , 140, I love my fox vanilla , but I might get a revalation if I can get a good deal on a trance 4to upgrade as I want. the new talas's are suposed to be sick.
No, a have the talas 2005 and I think for trance its just enough for 130 mm no need more:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Trance 1 with Float 130 RL

I just posted this in another thread about weight so here is my take on the fork length.

I have played around with my 05 Trance 1 and I feel that I have it pretty well dialed in for a trail bike (other than the fact that I would like to increase the rear travel to 5-5.5"). Here are the mods I made from the stock spec 05 Trance 1. XO rear derailler and XO Grip shift, Fox Float 130 RL, Easton Monkey Lite riser bar and 100mm EA70 stem, Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.3 front and Nevegal DTC 2.1 rear tires on the Cross Max SL tubless with Stans rim strip and sealant. This bike is a 16", weights around 26.5 lbs and kicks ass!! It climbs harder and steeper terrain (if I have the gas to give it) than any bike I have ridden yet Including my Kona Hot which climbed like a bottle rocket. As for tuning, I weight 140 lbs. and I run 125 lbs in the rear RP3, 6 clicks in on the rebound and mostly in the middle pro pedal spot. In the fork, I run 65 lbs and 5 clicks in on rebound. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions about my set up.

Thanks,
Allan

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
manitou2200 said:
I just posted this in another thread about weight so here is my take on the fork length.

I have played around with my 05 Trance 1 and I feel that I have it pretty well dialed in for a trail bike (other than the fact that I would like to increase the rear travel to 5-5.5"). Here are the mods I made from the stock spec 05 Trance 1. XO rear derailler and XO Grip shift, Fox Float 130 RL, Easton Monkey Lite riser bar and 100mm EA70 stem, Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.3 front and Nevegal DTC 2.1 rear tires on the Cross Max SL tubless with Stans rim strip and sealant. This bike is a 16", weights around 26.5 lbs and kicks ass!! It climbs harder and steeper terrain (if I have the gas to give it) than any bike I have ridden yet Including my Kona Hot which climbed like a bottle rocket. As for tuning, I weight 140 lbs. and I run 125 lbs in the rear RP3, 6 clicks in on the rebound and mostly in the middle pro pedal spot. In the fork, I run 65 lbs and 5 clicks in on rebound. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions about my set up.

Thanks,
Allan
Why would you run Stan's strips in rims that are already UST tubeless?? I ran a very similar setup but less air pressure and I weigh 165lbs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts