Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to replace the rst on my old trek, whats the cheapest fork you guys have seen on clearance/sale? if u know the rst...anything will be a big upgrade over my 60mm of elastomer travel lol...i have been looking at used on ebay but am having a hard time finding a 10"steerer tube on a used fork....darn 22.5" frame anyhow i'm hoping to find something around 80-100mm for around $100-125

·
Registered
91 Posts
Save another $25 or so dollars and buy a Marzocchi MX Comp on Ebay. There are a few online places blowing them out for as low as $150. Great fork for the money. Not too heavy either. Jenson is closing out the MX Comp 85 for $169. Worth the wait. Pricepoint has some bottom end Judy's for about $100, but the Zoke is far better and stiffer even without ETA. The only concern is geometry of your bike. Adding the additional travel might change the way your bike handles.

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
Trailhappy said:
Save another $25 or so dollars and buy a Marzocchi MX Comp on Ebay. There are a few online places blowing them out for as low as $150. Great fork for the money. Not too heavy either. Jenson is closing out the MX Comp 85 for $169. Worth the wait. Pricepoint has some bottom end Judy's for about $100, but the Zoke is far better and stiffer even without ETA. The only concern is geometry of your bike. Adding the additional travel might change the way your bike handles.
yea you should try and do that. Theres a huge difference between a Judy and a Mx

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
i concur. Dont run a judy if you can save for a marz. I sprung for the mx pro with eta, got it with coupons, discounts, and price matching for 250. then they went on sale for 250... I really like the fork. Keep looking, a couple months ago Jensonusa.com had a manitou axle comp 100mm travel for 79 bucks. It was a OE take off. You can find deals, just be careful. I got burned on an ebay fork.

Matt

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Those Axel Elite forks from JensonUSA were removed from Jamis Komodos. The one I got (it was the last one they had) just fit my 14" Komodo so it would not have worked for atvsmurf. The steerer was cut down to about 8"

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i think i have my work cut out for me...i pulled my fork and measured it...
the steerer is 11" long, and the axle to crown is 17" long....everything i have found used has a lot shorter steerer and a lot longer axel to crown...i can see the steerer tube being long because it is on a 22.5" frame but the axle to crown seems really short, but i guess thats what you get when you try to upgrade a $250 bike...lol

i have looked on manufacturers sites and cant find much info on the axle to crown height...

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
keep an eye on this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marzocchi-Bombe...201190687QQcategoryZ58085QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

IT IS NOT MINE!!! and I have no relation to seller. But it has a replacable crown/steerer, just win this and get a new crown, probably well under $125, better damping than any other $125 fork. The fork travel is the same as the RST's you had, so your geometry won't be thrown off. If not this particular one, look for 97-00 Z.2's/Atom Bombs many have replacable crowns.

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Atom Bombs were NEVER made for 24" wheels...

PCC said:
If you read the description it appears that the fork in the last post is for a 24" bike.
Ebayer's often make errors in listings...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.