Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just ride!
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced a 2k4 Stumpjumper 100 mm 6.5 x 1.5 shock with a 120 mm travel Triad/ RP23? Can this swap be done using the stock linkage? How will the geometry be affected? If a thread already exists on this topic, please feel free to bash my poor search skills and provide a link!:cool:

·
UF Engineering Slave
370 Posts
Don't use a shock with different dimensions than the stock shock. It will not work properly. If you want to increase the rear travel, look into a BETD linkage. It will work with the stock shock and allow you to adjust the rear travel.

·
Come on, dare me!
539 Posts
tennessee17 said:
Have you used the BETD link in the past? If so, what are your impressions?
I did. It works well and Rob (of BETD) is a very nice guy to do business with. The only drawbacks of the BETD link are :

1) A bit more weight (about 125 g (4.5 oz)) than stock
2) More leverage on your shock translates in a higher pressure to have it work properly which, in turn, translates in a faster wear of the seals, but it's not that bad. When going from 100 to 120 mm, the difference in pressure is no so high that you'll lose much progressivity.

·
Come on, dare me!
539 Posts
tennessee17 said:
Using the Betd link in the rear,would a 130mm RS Revelation fork match well geometry wise with the increase in rear suspension travel?
It may slacken a bit the front angle, depending on the setting you choose on the BETD link... But it will be all right, since the 100 mm Stumpy has pretty aggressive angles anyway...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm running a Reba at 115mm with a 6.5" length shock + ~3mm extension. So I guess that's a 6.62" x 1.5" shock. This raised by BB height by almost 1cm. I don't hit my pedals on the ground as much, but the change in geometry makes the rear linkage more of a falling-rate, which probably isn't ideal (but is barely noticeable).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.