Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am planning to upgrade my 2012 Epic Expert Carbon 29er to a 120mm fork in order to make it more trail worthy.

What fork would you suggest, as I narrowed down my search to one of the Rockshox offerings:

• 120mm SID RCT3 (roughly 1600g)
  • 120mm Revelation RCT3 (lowered from 130mm, +200g)
  • 120mm Pike RCT3 (lowered from 140mm, +280g)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Maybe something quite different: Suntour Epicon 120... As light as a Reba, as robust as a Revelation. Definitively well suited foŕ aggressive trail riding...

Best,

Envoyé depuis mon vélo....

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Unless you're getting some amazing deal on the fork, I'd personally just sell the bike and buy something more trail oriented. I say that as someone who has done exactly what you're trying to do and then eventually just followed my own advice.

·
There's always next year.
877 Posts
I think the Pike is overkill for the front end of the Epic, unless you're slowly building up parts for a bigger travel bike.

I'm assuming you've already got a wheel set ready to go for a thru axle up front, as thats the only way I'd go on a 29er at that travel for "trail" use. If you're going hold onto the Epic for a while, SID. If this is a stepping stone to a more trail oriented frame, then Rev.

car_nut's advice is something to think about as well, depending on what your actual definition of a trail bike is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the Pike is overkill for the front end of the Epic, unless you're slowly building up parts for a bigger travel bike.
This was my first thought as well. But after checking again, I found out, that the Pike weighs basically the same as a Revelation.
And as better is the enemy of good, it would make more sense to go for the Pike.

I'm assuming you've already got a wheel set ready to go for a thru axle up front, as thats the only way I'd go on a 29er at that travel for "trail" use. If you're going hold onto the Epic for a while, SID. If this is a stepping stone to a more trail oriented frame, then Rev.
Yes, I do have a thru axle up front. As you said, the upgrade might be a step towards a more trail oriented frame (thinking of the Niner RIP RDO), were I could just transfer the parts. So the Pike would probably the way to go...

car_nut's advice is something to think about as well, depending on what your actual definition of a trail bike is.
Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy a new frame at the moment, but the Pike will open that opportunity for the future.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
So I have to ask the question... .are you upgrading simply to upgrade or have you found something wrong with the SID that came with the bike? While I am not an RS fan, I like to support the underdog and the company that wins my loyalty but that is a different story, from everything I have read the RS SID is supposed to be one of their better XC/Trail oriented forks.

With that said, what is the root cause of you wanting to replace? You say that you want to make it more "trail worthy" but you really don't explain what the means TO YOU. Your issues could simply be a "tuning" issue with the fork or a riding technique issue vs. something that the fork needs to be upgraded/replaced.

Here is a for instance; I am in the process of building a new "trail" bike simply because of two reasons, 1) I want something with more travel up front, but not a need and 2) I want a full suspension bike. Now the main reason for my new build is that I have been riding a steel hardtail for about 3yrs now, I LOVE my bike, however on the rockier trails after a good 10+ miles of rockiness I find my lower back starts to hurt. I have dealt with back issues almost my entire life and keep myself active to keep it from fully locking up on me. However, as I get older it seems to take more and more work to keep that baseline of being able to do longer rides without it hurting and that baseline comes from more time in the saddle which I am finding I have less of.

So to compromise, I decided to get rid of my commuter bike (a Kona Jake that was dedicated to the occasional gravel grinder and daily commute) and use that money to fund a "trail" bike that would give me more back end "plush". This would then cause my steel HT to pull double duty as my mtb and daily commuter for a while. For me, the root cause of my "want" to upgrade was found to be more related to my inability to constantly ride to keep my fitness level at a peak that would allow me to enjoy long rides without pain. The solution then because to either stop riding all together or work out the logistics for another bike (or quit my job so I had more time but that aint happening :) ). So here I am building another bike, but enjoying the process.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@gregnash: Good question. The reason is that at the point when I bought the bike I was living in a rather flat area with only occasional trails. But now I have moved to a region where I find myself riding lots of trails of various difficulty. I am still surprised how good the Epic takes all that, but find the fork bottom out several times a ride. Now I could use less sag, but that would change the whole character of the fork again. In the end I think I have come to the limits of the projected use of that 100mm SID.
However the rear suspension feels good enough for me and a like the efficient ride of the Epic.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I guess that begs the question, what are you doing to bottom the fork out? You said you could add more sag but that would change the characteristics of the fork. How so? Again could just be that you need to tune the fork a bit better. Tuning my Tower Pro took a few weeks of fiddling, riding, fiddling, riding but once I found where I liked it I have not touched it since and that has been close to 2yrs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I considered this idea for my 2011 Epic Comp, for relatively similar reasons: the Epic is perfect for XC racing, but I find it limited for trail riding w/ my friends. I've taken "car_nut"s advice and am buying a different bike.
Anyway, I do think the Pike is going to be overkill, even if the weight hit isn't that bad.
I would guess that the SID 120 would be a better "fit" with your 100mm rear shock, but that is just a guess. What I don't know is how good the SID RCT3 120 is as a "trail" fork. It certainly rocks at XC!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I considered this idea for my 2011 Epic Comp, for relatively similar reasons: the Epic is perfect for XC racing, but I find it limited for trail riding w/ my friends. I've taken "car_nut"s advice and am buying a different bike.
Anyway, I do think the Pike is going to be overkill, even if the weight hit isn't that bad.
I would guess that the SID 120 would be a better "fit" with your 100mm rear shock, but that is just a guess. What I don't know is how good the SID RCT3 120 is as a "trail" fork. It certainly rocks at XC!
What other bike are you considering?
My plan is to get a pike now an then switch over to a more trail oriented frame as aoon as my budget allows.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What other bike are you considering?
My plan is to get a pike now an then switch over to a more trail oriented frame as aoon as my budget allows.
Ah, well if that's the case then the Pike sounds perfect!
(For the record, I'm about to buy an Ibis Ripley. I demo'd one and loved every second on it- and I never thought I'd replace my Epic. I just need more travel).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
(For the record, I'm about to buy an Ibis Ripley. I demo'd one and loved every second on it- and I never thought I'd replace my Epic. I just need more travel).
That's exactly the bike I am ogling with
I also thought, I'd never would need anything else than the Epic.
Did you have any stiffness issues with the Ripley? How heavy are you, if I may ask?

·
Registered
198 Posts
That's exactly the bike I am ogling with
I also thought, I'd never would need anything else than the Epic.
Did you have any stiffness issues with the Ripley? How heavy are you, if I may ask?
Whoop- sorry, I missed this.
No, I had zero stiffness issues and I'm 205, mebbe 210 pounds w/ gear on.
Demo one, if you can. I was also looking at Jet 9 RDO or (especially) the RIP 9 RDO, but no opportunity to demo one, so I'm pretty settled on the Ripley. I may try some Santa Cruz' or Turner Czar or others, but I can't imagine something fitting my needs better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whoop- sorry, I missed this.
No, I had zero stiffness issues and I'm 205, mebbe 210 pounds w/ gear on.
Demo one, if you can. I was also looking at Jet 9 RDO or (especially) the RIP 9 RDO, but no opportunity to demo one, so I'm pretty settled on the Ripley. I may try some Santa Cruz' or Turner Czar or others, but I can't imagine something fitting my needs better.
Sounds great! I am also considering the RIP RDO, but the Ripley just seems to be perfect for my needs: efficient, capable allround trailbike.
The Pivot 429 also seems to be fitting that bill with its DW suspension, but then again only has 100mm rear travel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.