Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More questions before I pull the trigger :) please. Considering the Mojo SL with a Fox Talas RLC and looking at the 140/120/100 version vs the 150/130/110.

Where I ride it's mainly 'trail' i.e. in between XC and AM. Given the Mojo is more of an AM I was wondering if it would ride well in a 120mm setting for the front fork? I'm worried the 140mm setting which is standard would make for very *panting* climbs.

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
832 Posts
I've got the 140 Talas on my Mojo and love it. I'm in the 120mm about 70% on the time. The 140mm 29% of the time and almost never in the 100mm. I ride is OC Cal on mostly trail single track. I'm looking at geting the 150mm with the 15mm for my bike and I run a 650 b on the front some times just for kicks.
I remember reading that the Talas does not use all of its travel and I think thats the case for my fork. If so, the 150mm would seem to be a better choice.
Do you already have the Mojo?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good to hear that Pachaven. for me i'm still doing a bit more research and asking many questions. I've shortlisted the Mojo SL and the Stumpjumper S-works. If I get the Mojo I was hoping to run it at 120mm most of the time to make it more of a trail bike like the stumpy rather than an AM as AM is overkill for the trails I ride (our tallest hill is only like 160m/ 500 ft here in Singapore!)

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
kakachi said:
good to hear that Pachaven. for me i'm still doing a bit more research and asking many questions. I've shortlisted the Mojo SL and the Stumpjumper S-works. If I get the Mojo I was hoping to run it at 120mm most of the time to make it more of a trail bike like the stumpy rather than an AM as AM is overkill for the trails I ride (our tallest hill is only like 160m/ 500 ft here in Singapore!)
I had the 08 Stumpy previous to the Mojo. I will never go back to the Stumpy. It was a nice bike and rode very well, but the Mojo has a much better feel to it. The Stumpy also didn't have enough travel for me, and I broke the frame.

When I was looking at the Mojo, I was wondering if a 120mm fork would be best. I had a PIKE u-turn and tried it at 120, but hated it. At 140 it felt much better for trail riding. I now run a Lyrik at 130-145mm (which is about 145-160mm for a PIKE equivalent), and love how it handles.

Your results will vary, but I would for sure choose the Mojo over the Stumpy. You'd be happy with either bike though.

·
Unpredictable
2,213 Posts
The bike rides really well at all settings on the 100-140 Talas. It is one of the things I really like about the Mojo. I have a large frame which can make handling a little sluggish in the most twisty single track. Drop the fork and you have closer to a XC race feel, making this sort or riding far easier.

However, because it rides so well on 140 I must admit to mainly using 140 and saving 100 for really steep climbs. Having said this I have done some pretty fast and full-on descents on both 100 and 120 (forgot to change back) and once did it with the fork locked-out at 100 - no problem as the blowoff valve worked perfectly. To be noted though is that there is an increase in pedalling resistance when the shock is lowered. It is quite noticeable but on really steep terrain the advantage of being more over the front wheel outweighs it. Also it is a little easier to compress the fork to lift over rocks and roots etc.

Personally, while I do not regret getting the Talas RLC (it has been a very versatile fork and really opened my eyes to the potential the frame has), after gradually re-fitting the bike with heavier tyres etc, I would now go for a through axle Talas 140 or equivalent. As for the incomplete travel issue, is it an issue if the bike rides really well?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I ride everything from XC to DH on my Mojo w/ Talas, and I almost never go to 120 (much less 100), except on the very steepest of climbs. On decents and even flats my weight feels too far forward for my taste at below 140. Also feels like the bike doesn't roll as well.

If I had the choice I would definitely go with the 150/130/110.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.