Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

120 MM suspension Fork for SS 29er

5K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  fatbike dumbell 
I would think that any fork will lock if you reach down and twist the damper all the way over. it would be more difficult to find a fork that does NOT have this feature.

Secondly, I never see anyone lock out their fork. A modern fork that is properly set up rarely, if ever, needs to be locked out. I use it for long stretches of pavement when the need arises.

The more important questions are about compatibility: steerer tube (tapered or straight), hub/axle type, tire width. Then ask what kind of weight, adjustability, stiffness, etc. you need.

Also, how is this singlespeed specific? You might get more useful information if you post this question in the suspension sub-forum.

I have a 120 mm Reba with some bottomless Tokens in it. 15x100 axle. It's a bit flexy but it's OK for me. Something stiffer with bigger stanchions would be nice, like a Yari or Pike.

Maybe it's because people ride different trails in different regions, and some people are counting seconds because they are actually racing, but I've never felt the need to change anything on my fork except on long stretches of pavement, that is, when reaching down a few inches to flip a switch is not a liability. Faffing around with a lockout, remote or not, sounds like a waste of time and mental energy when you just want to abide, and contradicts the simplicity that drives me to ride a singlespeed.

I can barely feel the difference between my fork being locked out and open when on pavement, but I certainly feel it on the trail. I suspect that, if the difference between locked out and open on a SS hardtail means enough difference to a rider that it bugs them, they either have a poorly tuned fork or they have a princess/ pea scenario going on. Just set your fork up right and pedal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.