Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a suspension fork for a SS 29er. I would like a fork that locks out while standing and mashing. My question is can we get a fork that locks without a remote lever?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,690 Posts
I would think that any fork will lock if you reach down and twist the damper all the way over. it would be more difficult to find a fork that does NOT have this feature.

Secondly, I never see anyone lock out their fork. A modern fork that is properly set up rarely, if ever, needs to be locked out. I use it for long stretches of pavement when the need arises.

The more important questions are about compatibility: steerer tube (tapered or straight), hub/axle type, tire width. Then ask what kind of weight, adjustability, stiffness, etc. you need.

Also, how is this singlespeed specific? You might get more useful information if you post this question in the suspension sub-forum.

I have a 120 mm Reba with some bottomless Tokens in it. 15x100 axle. It's a bit flexy but it's OK for me. Something stiffer with bigger stanchions would be nice, like a Yari or Pike.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Modern forks are pretty good at resisting pedal bob. My 2009 Reba would bob like crazy out of the saddle and needed a lock out. My 2017 Manitou Magnum (now Mattock) is very efficient out of the saddle, and I have not wanted a lock out.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,319 Posts
Deep fork bob means poor setup these days.

Most of my friends ride Fox 34s. It’s a good fork, and of the 6-7 of them kicking around, only one uses a remote lockout.

I occasionally use the lockout on the fork leg on my Manitou Magnum Pro. I don’t know if it’s quite as of a fork good as the Fox, but I have only a few very minor complaints. It was hard to tune, but works great now.
I chose it because a Bontrager XR4 29x3.0 fits in there, unlike the Fox, which rubs the brake arch.

Also, I got it for $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Secondly, I never see anyone lock out their fork. A modern fork that is properly set up rarely, if ever, needs to be locked out. I use it for long stretches of pavement when the need arises...
I have remote lockout on my Fox32SC and love it on my SS. I use it all the time to get nice feeling fork, but also more responsiveness when I am standing climbing. I have same fork my geared bike and don't have a remote and mostly keep it open. But there is much less standing climbing.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I'm going with the fox 34 Step Cast with remote.120mm,clearance for 2.6,stiff enough, and not too heavy.

If you don't want a remote, you could try to find a Specialized brain fork

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
I'm going with the fox 34 Step Cast with remote.120mm,clearance for 2.6,stiff enough, and not too heavy.

If you don't want a remote, you could try to find a Specialized brain fork
I just swapped a Pike for an SC34, no regrets, nice fork for a trail bike.

For an XC bike that doesn't see rough terrain, I'd go SC32 for weight, still plenty stiff.

No need for a remote, just reach down and twist, not sure if you need it locked, then set it in Propedal

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I just swapped a Pike for an SC34, no regrets, nice fork for a trail bike.

For an XC bike that doesn't see rough terrain, I'd go SC32 for weight, still plenty stiff.

No need for a remote, just reach down and twist, not sure if you need it locked, then set it in Propedal
Singlespeed riding is a lot about momentum and speed prior to the climb. Especially for steep climbs, you really don't want to have to reach down to flip a switch at the same time you should be picking up speed.

·
Registered
12,690 Posts
Maybe it's because people ride different trails in different regions, and some people are counting seconds because they are actually racing, but I've never felt the need to change anything on my fork except on long stretches of pavement, that is, when reaching down a few inches to flip a switch is not a liability. Faffing around with a lockout, remote or not, sounds like a waste of time and mental energy when you just want to abide, and contradicts the simplicity that drives me to ride a singlespeed.

I can barely feel the difference between my fork being locked out and open when on pavement, but I certainly feel it on the trail. I suspect that, if the difference between locked out and open on a SS hardtail means enough difference to a rider that it bugs them, they either have a poorly tuned fork or they have a princess/ pea scenario going on. Just set your fork up right and pedal.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I have a Fox 34 Grip (budget 34). The Grip damper has an easy to turn large lockout knob. Would I use it while riding - no too much effort / distraction for our trails. Tuning a fork for mashing pedal bob is a compromise. Adding enough LSC or upping the spring rate just means a take away from small bump compliance. If I were dead set on having a lockout it would be a remote.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
As a SS'er, I have been on and off the lockout lever on the crown for years. I use it *ALL* the time, and am very used to reaching down and flipping it quickly. Never an issue for me, and I find it of huge value.

Just built up a new SS, and have a SC34 with the remote lockout, and it is a game-changer. Never would have thought I "needed" the remote, but now that I have it on my SS, I can't see not having it. It's so simple and easy, considering how often I use it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Read up on the FOX SC34, sounds like the perfect fork. I have an older fox 32 on my FS bike and works well, just needs to be rebuilt every 2 years or so. I never had a lockout lever but it seems to be a nice addition. Riding a SS speed there is nothing to shift so a little lock out lever should be OK. Thanks for the input guys :)

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I personally wouldn't build up a single speed with a suspension fork unless it had a bar mounted lockout. That said, if I went to buy a new fork right now for my SS at 120, it would almost certainly be a SC34.

Still interested? I have a 120mm fork with a bar mounted lockout on my single speed right now. If I'm standing up to pedal, it's locked out. Good setup or not, When you're putting out 100% on a single speed, if you want it all on the ground through the pedals, you want a lockout.

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
I'm loving the SC 34 my Vassago. I have a single speed built up rigid, so there's my full-on lockout option, I guess.

The Vassago either sees mountain duty or local trail fun. I'm either locking it out for long climbs, or for rolling single track, I just leave it in the medium setting or just full-open because the adjustable low-speed compression damping is just that good.

Best 120 fork I've ridden so far.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I’ve been riding the 120 Fox 34SC on my Blacksheep SS for about 4 months now. Fox has nailed it with this fork . I run 29x3.0 and it handles anything I throw at it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.