Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I had a question that I wanted to bounce off you guys to see If I can get a clear answer or some direction as to how to solve... I presently have a jamis dakota al that I converted over to a single speed..I enjoy riding strictly singlespeed bikes and have thought about building up a bike that can take a little bit more abuse than my aluminum frame jamis. I know it's been said a thousand times "steel is real" so I have thought about going that route. I know there are several nice steel frames and the poster child frame seems to be the surly 1x1. I combed through ebay several days ago and came across a steel frame made by X-life called the "proud cat". It is pretty beefy and heavy but really trick looking. The guys that make this frame pretty much use these as trick frames and ride them as fixies with 120mm rear hubs. I researched it a little bit and found out that this frame only accepts a 120mm rear hub verse a typical 135mm mtb rear hub. I was bummed out when I found this out because I really like the frame and wanted to swap most components from my present bike over to this frame. Could I get a 120mm rear hub and have it laced up to a 26" mtb rim? Would something like this work? I dig singlespeed but dont think I would be comfortable riding trails with a fixie.I know surly and some other companies make a 120mm rear hub...just don't know where to start and wondered what you all think? Sorry for my ignorance but I figured if I don't ask I will never learn. I would have posted this in the beginners forum but I figured some of you ss guys could lend me some knowledge. Thanks,
Vince

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
-A 120mm hub can indeed by laced to a 26" rim
-You can thread a freewheel onto any track hub, no problem. The lockring threads on a track hub will not interfere.
-is this a fixed gear freestyle frame? Will you be riding trails? Just make sure you understand what the geometry of the bike is optinized for. Compare the geometry numbers with a true mtb and see if you think the frame you like can work for your needs.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
That frame would be a very big mistake for mountain biking.
It looks like it doesn't have any provision for rear brakes and was designed for fixed gear "freestyle".
Get a mountain bike frame instead.

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
Just checked out the frame: I actually think it is pretty cool. But, yes, as Thor29 said, it is a poor choice for trail riding. Proper tool for the proper job, horses for courses, and on and on and on...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya..I agree with both of you. I don't think the bikes geometry would be well suited for trails as much as urban thrashing. Would be a fun bike to have though...I think I will keep digging to find a nice used 1x1. Thanks for your input about the hub..I appreciate it.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Bike seems to be designed to be a 26" BMX bike; good for urban assault.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts