Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. I did a search for details on this, and on google did find some info, but I wanted to see if anyone has real time experience with this. If this is redundant please forgive.

So since shimano just released the 12 speed XTR, I started to consider replacing some worn out parts. I was looking at XTR and realized they are using this new spline and cassette options may now be limited to just shimano. I also read that the spacing between the new 12 speed stuff and sram eagle is not exactly the same like it used to be. This is a bummer as I am pretty sure I don’t want to toss my nice wheelset. I also heard DT Swiss is the only group licensed to make a cassette body.

SO... Has anyone run the new XTR with an Eagle cassette and did it work ok?

My desired setup is XTR shifter rear Dr, and sram eagle as a cassette. Thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hello All. I did a search for details on this, and on google did find some info, but I wanted to see if anyone has real time experience with this. If this is redundant please forgive.

So since shimano just released the 12 speed XTR, I started to consider replacing some worn out parts. I was looking at XTR and realized they are using this new spline and cassette options may now be limited to just shimano. I also read that the spacing between the new 12 speed stuff and sram eagle is not exactly the same like it used to be. This is a bummer as I am pretty sure I don't want to toss my nice wheelset. I also heard DT Swiss is the only group licensed to make a cassette body.

SO... Has anyone run the new XTR with an Eagle cassette and did it work ok?

My desired setup is XTR shifter rear Dr, and sram eagle as a cassette. Thanks
Yes it works..........

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well kids. I finally purchased a xt 12 speed shifter and Dr. I put it on my kids bike which has a, I think, NX cassette. I had it working perfectly for am minute but now it really is fighting us. If we get it shifting up good it won't want to drop back down in some of the lower gears. For instance going from the 18 to 16 you click the index finger button and it doesn't want to drop at all. It doesn't even want to click and bang around. It's weird. This should work. I even saw a guy in Arkansas last weekend with this setup. It gave me hope.

·
1,065 Posts
Well kids. I finally purchased a xt 12 speed shifter and Dr. I put it on my kids bike which has a, I think, NX cassette. I had it working perfectly for am minute but now it really is fighting us. If we get it shifting up good it won't want to drop back down in some of the lower gears. For instance going from the 18 to 16 you click the index finger button and it doesn't want to drop at all. It doesn't even want to click and bang around. It's weird. This should work. I even saw a guy in Arkansas last weekend with this setup. It gave me hope.
I'm fighting a similar battle here, and just realized I had been threading the cable backward into the pinch bolt.

cf: https://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/re...-xt-12-speed-what-about-shifters-1110135.html

HTH you or someone.

Edit: I also threaded it backward on my 11-speed XT derailleur. In that case, it doesn't seem to make a significant difference. I guess 12-speed is far more sensitive to these things.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welp. Figured it out. I screwed bu the b screw plate the first time. As a result I cut the chain way short. I followed the “shop install” directions when installing everything, including a new chain, and it all worked out great. Shifts really well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.