Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
EDR
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, broke my chain today, used my sram powerlock to fix but it was dicey as it would not set all the way despite all my effort (no I don't carry a powerlock tool, used my hands). Had to baby it home and it did not jive very well with the drivetrain.
I can't seem to find 12sp pins, is replacing pins a thing of the past or what? Can't even find a new multitool that claims it pushes 12sp pins in place. ( I was able to break my chain today using my old 9sp CB tool but there is no way it would push a pin in.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
If I understand, once you installed the new master link, you were unable to fully lock it in place. Not even once the link was on top of the rotation and you mash the pedal to fully lock it in?

This is a bummer. I've yet to have to repair the 12speed but it's not making me feel good that my spare link may be useless. Or semi-useless I guess one could say.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,216 Posts
What kind of chain do you use, shimano? It can take a good stop on the pedal with the brakes engaged to lock that link in place sometimes.

·
EDR
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I understand, once you installed the new master link, you were unable to fully lock it in place. Not even once the link was on top of the rotation and you mash the pedal to fully lock it in?

This is a bummer. I've yet to have to repair the 12speed but it's not making me feel good that my spare link may be useless. Or semi-useless I guess one could say.
Interesting about the pedal mash thing. Is that from experience or did I miss that doc? Reason being is that when I got home to check it all out the link was indeed fully seated. But getting started right after the 'fix' was dicey. Even just rotating the drivetrain by hand it was catching or hopping a bit on that link but it was the best I could do at the time.

I've removed the original supplied link several times with needle nose pliers and had little trouble re-installing...maybe b/c during those times I had thoroughly cleaned my chain. On the trail real life dirt comes in to play, even if you wipe/clean your chain often between rides it not the same. Another thing that might have contributed to the problem was my chain breaker. It was for a 9sp so even though I was successful at pushing out the pin, it cock-eyed the link while doing it, perhaps bending stuff just a bit, idk.

I do miss the simplicity of the 9sp quick links, could do those on/off with just a squeeze. At this point I'd be happier with 12sp replacement pins and a mulititool to handle the install.

·
EDR
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of chain do you use, shimano? It can take a good stop on the pedal with the brakes engaged to lock that link in place sometimes.
12sp SRAM Eagle. I've made the connection in my garage with clean chain several times, perhaps real-world on trail is different. I'm just used to 9sp power links, easy peasy by hand

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Not sure if you missed any instructions, but that's how I have locked in my other links after chain replacement and have seen on videos.

Install quick link at the bottom where there is slack. Roll it backwards until the link is up top.....quickly force pedal forward and it usually clicks in (never tried on the 12 speed though). Or if required, hop on and power down -it seems that after you began riding it did lock in from that same scenario.

I do wonder though if the side plates were buggered up from pushing the pin out, just enough to take it out of tolerance to be easier to install.

There was a thread a while back regarding chain removal or something. There were a few folks commenting that the 12 speed pins were not too small for us to continue using our old chain break multi tool.
I think it was me that asked if I would need to get an updated chain tool for my 12 speed, which sparked the follow up answers about the older tool still working.

I guess it won't hurt to ask, you were using the correct link correct? Obviously the 12 speed required a 12 speed link, but aren't there links for Eagle and non-eagle? Is there a non-eagle 12 speed chain/link?

·
EDR
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know if there are non eagle 12-speed chains or not. Haven't researched that. Not sure what eagle even means, I assume it's akin to XT or XTR in terms of component level.

I did email Crank Brothers about their m-19 tool and whether or not it would successfully break a 12 speed chain and they said yes. But that's not really a ringing endorsement since I've proved today I can break my 12 speed chain with a 12 year old 9-speed Crank Brothers multi-tool.

I think what I have learned is as things get better, sometimes they get worse.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't know if there are non eagle 12-speed chains or not. Haven't researched that. Not sure what eagle even means, I assume it's akin to XT or XTR in terms of component level.

I did email Crank Brothers about their m-19 tool and whether or not it would successfully break a 12 speed chain and they said yes. But that's not really a ringing endorsement since I've proved today I can break my 12 speed chain with a 12 year old 9-speed Crank Brothers multi-tool.

I think what I have learned is as things get better, sometimes they get worse.
Eagle is just Sram's name for 12sp. It is not a component level. They make eagle in many levels

SX (super cheap, like lower than SLX)

NX (SLX equivalent)

GX (XT equivalent)

XO1 (enduro/trail equivalent to XTR)

XX1 (XC equivalent to XTR)

The latter two also come in an AXS variant which is wireless electronic shifting.

·
EDR
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well let me ask one simple question. Can I buy replacement pins for my 12-speed eagle? If so I haven't found them.

If they can be had a follow-up question would be, what multi-tool would install them?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think you've answered my question. They are not readily available like they were for 9-speed chains. Iirc Shimano 9 speed chains came with three or four extra pins in the package. I guess times have changed.
The extra pins were mostly a Shimano thing. Sram and KMC 9sp chains (at least the ones I had) came with a quick link like eagle does. Personally I like the quick links better, but that is a preference thing.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don't follow why there is a need for special tools, replacement pins, etc. From OP's description, out on the trail he failed at getting powerlink to 'click' into place by 'using my hands' and is now looking for an alternative to powerlinks because of that difficulty.

The best way to get powerlink to 'click' into place after installing has always been as described by Forest Rider above. I've used this method with 9 spd thru 12 spd and it always works. Just get chain connected with powerlink and use leverage of cranks combined with your weight and leg strength to snap it into place. This applies to any chain with a powerlink 9spd vs 12spd does not matter. Further proof that this would have worked is revealed in OP's second post when he discovered it had fully seated into place from the leverage of the cranks during his ride home.

If he had used the method above out on the trail there would be nothing to solve.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wireless electronic shifting ???? Is that really a thing? Do you need an app on your phone to shift gears ?
Not sure if trolling...

That said, there is still a shifter, just uses a radio signal to tell the derailleur when to shift instead of a cable. You can use a phone app to modify how the system works, but no phone or app required to shift.

·
EDR
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The extra pins were mostly a Shimano thing. Sram and KMC 9sp chains (at least the ones I had) came with a quick link like eagle does. Personally I like the quick links better, but that is a preference thing.
I preferred the quick links as well. used them for many years on my XT chains. Today's powerlock link is not the same. They require tools for the most part. So the benefit of easy removal is lost.

·
EDR
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't follow why there is a need for special tools, replacement pins, etc. From OP's description, out on the trail he failed at getting powerlink to 'click' into place by 'using my hands' and is now looking for an alternative to powerlinks because of that difficulty.

The best way to get powerlink to 'click' into place after installing has always been as described by Forest Rider above. I've used this method with 9 spd thru 12 spd and it always works. Just get chain connected with powerlink and use leverage of cranks combined with your weight and leg strength to snap it into place. This applies to any chain with a powerlink 9spd vs 12spd does not matter. Further proof that this would have worked is revealed in OP's second post when he discovered it had fully seated into place from the leverage of the cranks during his ride home.

If he had used the method above out on the trail there would be nothing to solve.
I now realize that mashing on the pedals to make the connection is the preferred way. That's not my experience in the past. I've removed dozens of 9-speed power links by hand and reinstalled. Never once did they fail to click into place by hand. So on the trail when this powerlock wouldn't click into place fully by hand (like it did easily in my garage prior) I was worried that getting on the pedals would rip it apart. Now I realize that's what people do to make them click. Lesson learned.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.