Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '03 Talas blew a seal in the damper, so I have to take it apart for the first time (very low miles due to injury, but still out of warranty). The Manitou manual says to use a 26mm 6 pt socket. Local hardware store only has a 12 pt one. Home Depot had no 26's, and I haven't hit Sears up yet to see if they have one. If I can't find a 6 pt, can I use the 12? I'm guessing the risk is rounding off the aluminum top cap. Has anybody done this?

Thanks!
Kathy

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Lucky said:
My '03 Talas blew a seal in the damper, so I have to take it apart for the first time (very low miles due to injury, but still out of warranty). The Manitou manual says to use a 26mm 6 pt socket. Local hardware store only has a 12 pt one. Home Depot had no 26's, and I haven't hit Sears up yet to see if they have one. If I can't find a 6 pt, can I use the 12? I'm guessing the risk is rounding off the aluminum top cap. Has anybody done this?

Thanks!
Kathy
You can use a 12 pt, but the chance of rounding is greater, especially on a tight fit, or in this case the low contact area of a top cap head. Regardless of 12pt or 6 pt, the force that actually turns the hex is applied near the "corners" of the hex, and not along the flat side. Nevertheless, a 6 pt. will still distribute that load over a greater area versus a 12 pt.

What you'll notice on some quality sockets is that the "corners" are slightly rounded out so as to prevent force from being applied very near to the edge of the nut or hex head, where a concentrated force might otherwise more easily round out the hex.

·
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speedüb Nate said:
You can use a 12 pt, but the chance of rounding is greater, especially on a tight fit, or in this case the low contact area of a top cap head. Regardless of 12pt or 6 pt, the force that actually turns the hex is applied near the "corners" of the hex, and not along the flat side. Nevertheless, a 6 pt. will still distribute that load over a greater area versus a 12 pt.

What you'll notice on some quality sockets is that the "corners" are slightly rounded out so as to prevent force from being applied very near to the edge of the nut or hex head, where a concentrated force might otherwise more easily round out the hex.
Thanks, Nate. I'll check Sears before I get what the local hardware store has.

Kathy :^)

·
Registered
161 Posts
One more thing...

Sometimes (actually most times) the gripping corners of the socket are recessed slightly below the top of the socket, so if you are working with a very thin nut sitting on a flat surface, just like those top caps are, you might be grabbing only half or so of the nut itself. That can also lead to damage. You can improve that situation by grinding down your brand new socket and improve the socket/nut contact. Did that make any sense?

Kathy, glad to hear you are back on the trails again. By the way, the saddle has about 1200 road miles on it, and I'm still liking it.

·
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alibi said:
Sometimes (actually most times) the gripping corners of the socket are recessed slightly below the top of the socket, so if you are working with a very thin nut sitting on a flat surface, just like those top caps are, you might be grabbing only half or so of the nut itself. That can also lead to damage. You can improve that situation by grinding down your brand new socket and improve the socket/nut contact. Did that make any sense?

Kathy, glad to hear you are back on the trails again. By the way, the saddle has about 1200 road miles on it, and I'm still liking it.
I was checking the tool box to see if I had a 1/2" drive or adapter (I do), and I noticed what you're talking about with the gripping edge being recessed a bit. It does seem like it would want to round off the corners in a big hurry. I don't have a wide grinding wheel, but I'll see what I can do. I have a cheapie old socket set I bought umpteen years ago that I could practice on. Maybe I should just get a 26mm open-end or box wrench? Or is that more likely to slip off?

I'm glad you're enjoying the saddle. When it comes to seats, one person's sofa is another person's medieval torture device. ;^P

Kathy

·
Registered
804 Posts
Lucky said:
I was checking the tool box to see if I had a 1/2" drive or adapter (I do), and I noticed what you're talking about with the gripping edge being recessed a bit. It does seem like it would want to round off the corners in a big hurry. I don't have a wide grinding wheel, but I'll see what I can do. I have a cheapie old socket set I bought umpteen years ago that I could practice on. Maybe I should just get a 26mm open-end or box wrench? Or is that more likely to slip off?

I'm glad you're enjoying the saddle. When it comes to seats, one person's sofa is another person's medieval torture device. ;^P

Kathy
I picked up one of these for use on my Vanilla (same top caps) - it is a 12pt but it comes already ground flat. I am happy with it. I'd prefer a 6 point socket in theory but I have no complaints with this one. The flat corners more than make up for it.

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...Hand Tools&tc=Sockets-Metric&item_id=AL-12326

p.s. Let me add that the first couple of times I worked on the fork, I just used a big crescent wrench and was careful. It works ok, just have to work slow and be careful not to slip. Those top caps aren't very tight. I really appreciate having the right tool so I picked up that socket.

·
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
757 Posts
You could always use a quality crescent-wrench. Thats what I use to get my caps off of my 888. I havent rounded any corners, and haven't torn em' up.

Just make sure to put it on there tightly.. and you're set.

-Matt

·
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
frank n. beans said:
I picked up one of these for use on my Vanilla (same top caps) - it is a 12pt but it comes already ground flat. I am happy with it. I'd prefer a 6 point socket in theory but I have no complaints with this one. The flat corners more than make up for it.

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...Hand Tools&tc=Sockets-Metric&item_id=AL-12326
Well, I got one of these babies (and a few other goodies), and it works fine. I did have to spend a few minutes with a small file to remove the burrs they left on the inside edge, though. It left no marks on the top cap at all once I cleaned it up.

Kathy :^P

1 - 9 of 9 Posts