Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ride, Rinse, Repeat
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12 more days....

12 days left for any "real" riding this summer. The Chemotherapy starts at the end of those days. What do you do when you only have a couple of weeks left to ride?

The diagnosis was a good thing & a bad thing. Nobody EVER wants to hear you have Cancer, even if it's an "easy" and "treatable" version. "Easily treated with just one round of Chemo, and 95% remission rates" the Doc says. Great. Explains a lot, could be worse. Still, a total emotional roller coaster ride. Schedule the treatment, then realize no more mountain bike rides for at least 2-3 months.

What do you do when you only have a few weeks to ride the rest of the summer? You take the time off and you ride. You ride with your buddies, and you ride by yourself when no one else can go.

Had a LONG list of new trails & areas to explore this year, better get some of it done NOW.

Yet another glorious Colorado June day. Midweek, no one around, finally zero in on another of those "underused" trails you KNEW were out there. The thrill of riding the new (to you at least...) "secret" stuff, never knowing what is around the next corner. Colorado Front Range baby-head-rocky-eroded crap, grassed over 4" singletrack thru aspens, glorious pine-needle bedded switchback descents, even a lodgepole pine gauntlet. Found new stuff to ride, new stuff to explore. Exercised a few demons from the head, and was reminded of what is really important, how lucky you really are to be here and to be able to ride.

I'll be back soon, but I'm going to really miss the dirt till then.

Get out there and ride.

Attachments

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
From one Titus Brother to another...

Good luck in your recovery...

... and just keep cycling in your heart and everything will work out.

RHRF!

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Your thoughts, strength, and words are sobering.

Best of luck with your treatment. I have a feeling that the rides with your friends will be what you think about as you recover and regain your strength, but the rides by yourself will be the ones that “use” to get back to where you want to be.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Damn... :(

El said it best,
El Salt said:
Your thoughts, strength, and words are sobering.
Stay strong, build some amazing memories over these next 12 days... ones to remind you and keep you going. I wish you the best in your treatment and a speedy recovery!

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Wow. I can only imagine how you are feeling. I'm sure the riding will help with the mental/emotional side of things as you prepare for your treatment.

All the best to you as you progress through this necessary evil. And be sure to post up ride pics from your first "back in the saddle" ride, okay?

Take care.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You know you're a true mtbiker when you're about to undergo chemo and your biggest worry is the time you're gonna miss from riding. That is perfect!!!!! Best wishes on a speedy recovery and keep us posted. The first time you ride after some time off make the best pictures because the grins are always the biggest! :thumbsup:

·
HTFU and Ride
1,216 Posts
After reading so much crap on some of these forums it is amazing to come across something moving and inspirational! I will try to keep in mind how lucky I am to be riding and not take it for granted!

Be strong and recover quickly!

Tailwinds :thumbsup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dale, Good luck, from the husband of a breast cancer survivor...
Don't fear it, fight it, and kick it's A$$...
Be strong, remember to laugh (it's medicine all on its own)...

The bike and the trails will be there when you are ready, but you won't be the same, so be patient, think about the positive things you have in your biking experience and make sure that upon your return to the saddle that you start with those positive things during your rides. It will make you feel like you've returned even faster.

For the next 12 days... Ride, Reflect, Refocus... Then RULE your RECOVERY!!!!
We'll all be pulling for ya.

·
Cat Herder
108 Posts
Good luck in your recovery! Unfortunately, this is one of those things that makes things like biking all the much sweeter. I think you help us all take the act of riding less for granted as well, and hopefully you can stoke your enthusiasm and spirits during recovery hitting the mtbr forums!

·
Wait, what!?
742 Posts
Man, I kind of fell like a huge pansy now when I dont want to ride because its triple digits outside, even though I know the ride and the act of riding would be way more memorable then the heat.

You can pull through man, its just 3 months. Think of all the (possibly) hundreds of months you have been able to ride, and the hundreds of more months you will soon have on your bike, zipping through those awesome trails. That last pic is sweeeet by the way. You can do it, and will be back on that bike right when perfect biking weather shows up! Stay strong, and kick this stuff!

·
bust a move
1,978 Posts
I`m on my 17th year of being cancer free and as scary as things are in your life at this time, I hope and pray you will put cancer as far back in your rear view mirror as it is in mine. I try to never forget what that felt like and live in such a way as to always be thankful for each and every day! You will be fine and good luck kicking [email protected]#,
Hope to see you on the trail :thumbsup:

·
Ride, Rinse, Repeat
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the notes & good wishes. It's really nice to get such great support form a bunch of "strangers".

Been riding myself ragged here, beat up, worn out and VERY satisfied going in, almost need the break just to recover. :p

I consider myself lucky, both with the mild nature of my illness & treatment, the fact I can still play for now and the help and support I have, both here and with my friends & family. I WILL be back soon, getting dirty and riding, just got to kick some "other" ass for a few weeks.

Thanks again for the support, It is MUCH appreciated

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good luck and keep faith.

Hey Dale. Ran across this thread and just had to give you some positive wishes. Just thank god that you discovered it soon and not late. Be happy that you can ride these last 12 days before you go to chemo. My thoughts and prayers are with you man. You can get through it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Good luck with your recovery. I know the feeling of being on an emotional rollercoaster ride. I have breathing problems and since I bought a bike 2 1/2 months ago, I've only ridden it once off road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.