Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tired of heat and dust? Bombed out downhills, composed of of that oh so less than enchanting blend of cake mix and billiard balls got you bummed out? Like hippies and the smell of “herb” and patchouli wafting through the forest? Like riding your bike for a really, really long time? Wellll, here's your event!

Bigfoot’s 12 Hours of Humboldt is coming up on August 22nd @ the Arcata Community Forest. Of all the 12’s and “hundies” in Ca, this race is the most hardtail and “novice” friendly. While the course is kinder and gentler than others, there’s still plenty of amusing singletrack bits to keep the attendant masses honest - I’ve even managed to crash going uphill racing here. The course runs between 8 and 8.5 miles per lap depending on Vic’s mood: like how itchy his torture gene is come course marking time. Every year, the course has gotten better, with the addition of a bridge here or a singletrack diversion there. The course runs @ 60/40 % fireroad/singletrack as I recall. I gutted out 13 laps last year, and despite a few mishaps and maladies had a blast @ this race trading insults with Vic, and being lapped by Sean Allen, Dez Wilder, and Mike Castaldo.

Not into the solo thing? Put a team together! Living in in the only Ca congressional district to ever elect a Green Party candidate, Bigfoot is sooo tres liberal!! Grab your "significant other", someone elses significant other [warn em first, no fondling the saucy bits right off], a relative or three, friends, enemies, enemies posing as friends, and work it out together riding in the woods. Heck, bring a first date, racing has got to be cheaper than E Harmony or Match Dot Com, and faster too! I mean if you don't fall over convulsing in uncontrollable fits of laughter at the first sight of him/her in lycra, and you don't hate one another's guts by the end of the day, it could WORK. Specially if they don't show up in tennis shoes and cotton gym shorts, or BURY you by 10 minutes or something on their laps. I hate that.

Located in the community park, the amenities for this race are great. The race is run virtually completely within the Arcata city limits. So the family can come along for the weekend, catch a few hours of mom or dad’s endless agonizing toil @ the race, hit town square for a snack, some hemp goods and a global warming protest, then come back for a bit more of the lycra clad legions misery. What fun!

Bigfoot always has a great raffle @ the Humboldt race - aside from the typical socks, tires, multi-tool, burnt diesel tailpipe flavor energy gel swag, the Kinetic Coffee french press/bong was a huge hit last year, as were the tortilla chips. I love those tortilla chips! And despite the cultural insensitivity, there’s generally a post race BBQ [I think Vic knuckled under to local pressure and is only serving free range, shade grown, fair trade burgers and hot dogs this year]. We were even serenaded by a local string quartet playing tango music last year towards the end of the race.

If you like racing on buffed trails, or you’re looking to try an endurance race and aren’t sure about doing a full hundred miler yet [you can’t get time cut @ 12 hr race], the 12 hrs of Humboldt is a blast and Arcata/Eureka is a great place to spend the weekend, if nothing else, just to take in the “real” northern California - you know, the one with all the incredibly pale white people that rarely see the sun. And do be sure to ask Bigfoot about the Tortilla chips too!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
jms said:
Tired of heat and dust? Bombed out downhills, composed of of that oh so less than enchanting blend of cake mix and billiard balls got you bummed out? Like hippies and the smell of “herb” and patchouli wafting through the forest? Like riding your bike for a really, really long time? Wellll, here's your event! Blah Blah Blah....
What he said:thumbsup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I already signed up myself. My first 12 hour event and I'm getting more worried everyday.

My wife won't let me punk out, since the last and final Bigfoot Classic she has been bugging me about getting back up to Arcata.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Okay, okay!

jms said:
Bigfoot always has a great raffle @ the Humboldt race - aside from the typical socks, tires, multi-tool, burnt diesel tailpipe flavor energy gel, swag, the Kinetic Coffee french press/bong was a huge hit last year, as were the tortilla chips. I love those tortilla chips! ....
....And do be sure to ask Bigfoot about the Tortilla chips too!
I'll hit up the folks at Bien Padre for some tortilla chips...organic of course. You know that means I'll have to make a trip to Eureka.

You guys are strange! We give away hundreds of dollars worth of Kenda Tires and ODI grips and what do you all get most excited about? A $4 bag of chips!:rolleyes:

Bigfoot

Attachments

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Courtship ritual

w00t! said:
Didn't somebody get attacked there last year by some crazy Sasquatch?
Though it may have looked like one, that wasn't actually an attack. It's really just the courtship ritual of some of the local community forest denizens. What might have appeared to be a violent assault on Tenacious 03 [Jared], by a deranged hobo with a large stick, was merely part of the "getting to know you", asking someone "out for a date" process @ the Community Forest. Sadly, Jared mistook the tender gestures being directed toward him and paniced. Crushed, by the rejection and without any other prospects, the sweet, simple, smelly, misunderstood woodland creature went all "Kung Fu" on a sheriff's deputy and was arrested. Subsequently and happily, the forest creature found a "truly deep level of compatability" after dropping the soap in the shower of the county jail.
And Jared? Well, there's some among us who thinks he brings it on himself. I mean, WHO could resist this :eekster:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
In all seriousness...

The individual who took an unsuccessful swing at a racer (and then managed to make contact with a Humboldt County Sheriff Search & Rescue Officer) was apprehended shortly after the incident. Having assaulted an officer I'm guessing he may have experienced a special brand of hospitality at the Humboldt County Jail. :rolleyes:

The local police chief later told me that the perp was determined to be "unstable" and was transferred to Semper Virens, the local county mental institute.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
That's unusual??

jms said:
We were even serenaded by a local string quartet playing tango music last year towards the end of the race.
Yeah, the strings lent a very nice atmosphere to those last couple of hours of the 2008 12 Hours of Humboldt. A couple of weeks ago at the Kirkwood Nine to Five we had members of the San Francisco Philharmonic rehearsing nearby during registration and just before the awards.

What, the last mountain bike race you went to didn't have a live classical performance?! What's wrong with these other promoters?! :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Course marking....

When it comes to marking the course, of all the events that we do the 12 Hours of Humboldt is by far the most labor intensive.
Our course is right in town and runs through the Arcata Community Forest on multi-user trails. Our challenge is to keep those usual Saturday hikers and such on the open trails and off those that are closed for the race. Anyone who's raced it knows about all of the barriers, cones, deliniators, (2 truck & trailer loads) it takes. Factor in the signs, arrows, chalk and tape and you can understand why it takes over 40 man-hours to mark and unmark this course.

That job starts today when we visit the city yard to get our first load of barriers and cones and drive them up into the forest. We also need to do a a lot of weed-wacking on one of our "race-day-only" sections. We'll have the course completely marked by sundown Thursday so that anyone wanting to get in a pre-lap can do so.

Construction on the new trail that we wanted to add hasn't yet begun. So the course will be essentially the same as 2008.

Bigfoot

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Vic,

I signed up online, but is there a time on Friday that I can get my number and sign the releases and how early on Saturday will you be there?

And what time do I need to be there for pre-race meeting?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Friday check-in...

gmky said:
Hey Vic,

I signed up online, but is there a time on Friday that I can get my number and sign the releases and how early on Saturday will you be there?

And what time do I need to be there for pre-race meeting?

Friday check in is at Redwood Park from 3-7pm. The course will be all marked by sundown Thursday so you can pre-ride anytime on Friday.

Riders meeting is Saturday morning, 7:30.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts