Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

" 12 Hours of Temecula" SoCal Bike festival

4K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  (wireless) 
#1 ·
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ENDURANCE
"12 Hours Of Temecula"
" SoCal Bike Festival "

Hello Racers,
I hope you all are ready for the upcoming " 12 Hours of Temecula " #2. We have been super busy prepping the course, making it fun and challenging. The June 14th race is filling up fast and it looks like we will have a great racer turnout!
We will be leading a preride of the course on may 10th. We will have 2 rides that day. The first ride will be at 8:00 am and the second ride will 8:00 pm. So you get a little taste of the night. Please if you are coming for the preride be prepared to pay the Vail Lake day fee of $5. You can check in at the front office.
We appreciate all the support the SoCal bike community has shown us over the last few years. Our series has grown and become one of the premier endurance destinations in SoCal. This series is for the racers, by the racers. That is why we constantly strive to make our venues better and better. For the upcoming 2009 season we have already started scouting new venues in and around the SoCal area. I can't wait to let the cat out of the bag for future venues. But I have to wait and solidify permits. I am also very excited about the Bike park being built at Vail Lake resort. It has been a long time coming and the need is great for us to have a place for all styles of cycling to come together!
If you are not familiar with the bike park being built at Vail Lake Resort, let me tell you a little secret. A local world champion pro mountain biker has been contracted in to build a network of downhill trails to compliment the huge network of xc trails. Over time there will be a full shuttle service and rating system for the trails at Vail. A map of the trails and area is in the works and will hopefully be up and running soon! There are already a few DH trails in place and being ridden.
We are looking for venders who are interested in coming out to the events and setting up booths and displays. We like to cater to the industry and help out others business ventures as much as possible. We already have a great array of folks coming out to the events but more stuff in the venue area would be great. If you are interested in getting involved please email me at jr@12hrsoftemecula.com .
We are also looking for volunteers to help out with the races. The more people involved at the racers the better. Any and all help is appreciated. You will be well taken care of with food and drinks all day long. Please contact jr@12hrsoftemecula.com for more info.
A quick note about the upcoming " Southern California Bike Festival " Sept 6-7. This festival is going to be an awesome venue with brand new events for the racing and riding community. We are introducing a brand new event called " AM Cross (all mountain cross). AM Cross is an event for the all mountain bike riders. It will consist of technical uphill climbs and super fun technical downhill runs. The total laps will last about 20-30 minutes. There will be man made structures and obstacles throughout the courses. The categories will include solo and teams of 2 riders. The criteria is simple, the bikes must be a minimum of 5.5 inches of travel and the riders must stay between the race tape. If you race a team there will be a point on the course where you will physically tag your partner. This format will be super fun and should be able to viewed by the public the whole way.
The short track for the Bike Festival will be unlike any other short track. It is going to be short and sweet with fun technical climbs and fast furious short descents. You have to have some bike skills to be good at this event. The entire event will take place in a completely visible area at Vail Lake. So you can cheer all your friends and family the whole time.
Also look for the fast and fun Mountain Bike Drag Race. This race will be a short 50 yard stretch of flat where you will go all out head to head with someone for all out speed. Short and sweet!
All in all we are looking to have a super fun time and give you all a great weekend of memories and challenge! There will be food and drink and a great vender area showcasing the latest in the bike industry swag. Also check out the kids races and the super fun crazy races for adults happening all day long!
I look forward to seeing you all at the upcoming "12 Hours Of Temecula #2 June 14th" It will be a great time for one and all. So come on out and join us for some fun in the sun!

For more info check out:
www.12hrsoftemecula.com
jr@12hrsoftemecula.com

See less See more
#4 ·
Jason, thanks for the update. Never mind the first poster's comment on the length of the post. He may not realize the impact you've had on the local riding community. Your tireless efforts have resulted in the best endurance race series in the region while still maintaining the grassroots feel.

We're looking forward to continuing our domination as the "middle of the class team to beat". The Bike Festival sounds fantastic! SoCal is way overdue for this epic event.

#8 ·
lmnop said:
Jason, any truth to the rumor that the damn climb may be, gulp, a thing of the past? I've read that it may become the shuttle route for the new gravity park stuff.

Hmm, I'm a bit torn on this on.
I believe EC basically confirmed on STR that it would indeed go away as we know it today as it is the only viable shuttle option to get gravity riders to the top of a hill.

It's a great extended climb and really the only one in the area.

Time to go climb ITT I guess?

I'm torn on it as well, but if it allows gravity riders a legal open place to shuttle then just realize they won't have to be tearing it up on crowded multi-directional trails. It'll provide an opportunity for them to do fast paced DH runs locally.

(FWIW I race DH as well as XC.)

#9 ·
The Damn Climb

The Damn Climb will not be going away. There will always be an extended climb as part of the Vail Courses. It may be partially graded but it will always be there. The Damn Climb has been a major part of the course for The Granny gear " 24 hrs of Vail Lake" and my races for over 5 years. Of Course I am in The process of building trails to the sides of the damn climb to help by pass the fireroad. Truth be told there are much better ways to access the DH runs. By going from the other direction it is shorter and more efficient. That is why they graded from that direction. The only problem was they didnt do a good job grading. So they will have to do it again at some time and do it correct!
The good thing is I will have alternate venues to hold races at for next year. They are very close to Vail Lake and the riding will be fantastic. The state and county have been very gracious about land permits and grants for trails and trail maintenance for this year and the upcoming year. Of Course I have been at Vail Lake working my A$$ for for over 5 years now. When the trails were unridable and all the other promoters wanted to cancel their races my team and I brought everything back to life. I love Vail Lake and I will be out there as long as I can. It is great to see all the activity and growth for our sport happening in SoCal.
For all of you in the Inland Empire area please stand by for a really good organization being built. I will be heading up an organization called IVCA ( Inland Valley Cycling Association). This organization will be completely non profit and put into place to help maintain and establish new trails. It will also give us a much stronger voice in the community. It will be shop non specific and completely unbiased as far as Bike industry is concerned. Stay tuned for more on that!
Anyway time to jump off the soap box. Hopefully I didnt bore you all to much!
Jason

#13 ·
So Jason, correct me if I'm wrong but looks like this new course is going up Damn Climb then down the normal ridge line, up the fire road towards tunnel of love but skips it and straight up to top of saddle (read hike a bike) then down the way we came up in November which connects with the military loop and then to the finish. Is that right? Sounds like fun!

#14 ·
Hey Jon

So you go up the damn climb and around the back side of the course as normal. We will use the 2 ridgeline connectors on the back side ( the utrun ridge and the techy switchback ridge) Then you will drop down the washboards and small ridge and go around the right side of the saddle (rather than up to where the water was last race). .Go right and head down the 1st funner ridgeline. When you get to the top of the first short climb on the ridgeline you go right and down. Stay left on the main trail and follow around. There are a couple of fun techy downhill sections that you want to be careful for. When you get to the marlin fish 3 way (there is a big Fake Marlin Fish here) Go Straight through the fencing and up the short steep and take a left at the top and follow this trailfor about 1/2 a mile till you come to a small bermed left. Go left here and take to the bottom and go left. You gotta be careful here again cause there are a couple of tricky sections and the final drop into the main trail is a little steep. I havent had time yet to sanitize at all. All this is very easy when you go there.
Now head around the main trail and head up the ambulance climb fireroad back up to the saddle. When you get to the saddle go up the hikeabike to the right and head down the right trail to the funner downhill 2. when you get to the first peak after the woops take a left at the split. Head down this ridge until you come to a trail to the right. It is right before a steep unhill. This new trail is tight switchbacks. Stay on the is trail all the way to the meadows and head left to the marine corp hill and the finish.
I know this all sounds confusing. But it really isnt. I will have the trail marked about a month out.
Hope this clears up a little. This new course is so much fun. Alot of ridges and fun fun descents. Of course you still have the damn climb. But hey you gotta pay to have fun!
Jason

#19 ·
Update pics

Pics of the new sections. More to come!

Attachments

#23 ·
Pre ride time change

Hey riders, just a quick note for this coming weekend! We were originally scheduled to do a preride in the early morning at 8am. But we have to change the time to 3pm in the afternoon. We are also having a preride in the night time at 7:00-7:30 start time. So if you come to that please bring lights. for more info please email me @ jr@12hrsoftemecula.

#24 ·
Pre ride time changes

Hey Riders sorry for all the confusion and time changes. Here are the hard times for this coming weekends prerides.
1:30 pm (afternoon) ride #1
8:00 pm (evening) ride #2 night ride

Please bring lights to the night ride. There will not be any charging stations or support!
We will meet at the go kart track! Start finish!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.