Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving back from my home in Maryland to ride with some buddies in the 12 hours of pando on the 21st. Since I have never ridden there can anyone give me any ideas of what the course is going to be like?? Looks like allot of sand from the reviews, is this correct? If it is I am going to get my butt kicked, I haven't ridden sand in four years.

703 Posts
Sand?

Not much sand at Pando, but that's "not much" by Michigan standards - there's a little, but nothing to get your undies in a bunch about. The lap is short at 4.3 miles, and there's a pretty hefty amount of climbing. A few short steeps, and a couple longer grinds. Some rolling flats, and a smattering of tight singletrack sections. Not much flat on the course, and really nothing to get over excited about. It's a ski hill, which you'll have to climb every lap, but they run the course in different directions every year, so you never know what you'll get. If it rains, expect slippery mud because there is very little gravel around the trails and not enough sand to soak up the rain.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MichiganClydesdale said:
Not much sand at Pando, but that's "not much" by Michigan standards - there's a little, but nothing to get your undies in a bunch about. The lap is short at 4.3 miles, and there's a pretty hefty amount of climbing. A few short steeps, and a couple longer grinds. Some rolling flats, and a smattering of tight singletrack sections. Not much flat on the course, and really nothing to get over excited about. It's a ski hill, which you'll have to climb every lap, but they run the course in different directions every year, so you never know what you'll get. If it rains, expect slippery mud because there is very little gravel around the trails and not enough sand to soak up the rain.
Thanks I read reviews and it said it was sandy and judging from the Cannonsburg state game area trail out by Egypt Valley I rode in april I figured it was similar in sand content. Sounds like a good trail very similar to some trails I ride out here, well minus the rocks of course. Now I just need the weather to stay dry out here so I can get and ride before saturday, between the rain and having to replace the rear derailure, casette and chain last week its been a few days since I have rode.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts