Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ten hardy riders showed up for the 8am start today, several of whom had not done Middle Ridge trail, and some that hadn't ridden Coe at all. It was chilly, but not freezing. We zipped down the fire road to the fun (and mostly flat) Flat Frog Trail. Soon we were at the top of Middle Ridge.

Middle Ridge is one of my favorite trails anywhere. It's mostly downhill, with enough tricky bits to keep me on my toes and provide me with a challenge, but nothing really scary. CHUM had been talking about how sections of the trail were easy to slide off because slippery leaves hide the trail edge, so it did not surprise me when I heard a commotion a bit ahead of me and a few seconds later saw CHUM picking himself up after sliding off the trail in a turn. There was no harm done (except for my missed opportunity to watch CHUM crash), and I think everyone had a good time on the descent. I was quite pleased with this section of the ride. Previously I'd cleaned every individual section of it, but never all in the same ride. Today, I got through everything without dabbing. The super-tacky conditions allowed me to grind up the short but super steep uphill, and gave me the traction to get through the steep and tight switchbacks.

At the bottom, Jeff and CHUM cut off to take Creekside to China Hole and back to the cars. The other eight of us continued up Poverty Flat, a steep fire road climb, towards Jackass. At the top of Poverty Flat TahoeBC realized his nasty cold had taken a lot out of him, so he went down the other side intending to go up Mahoney Meadows and Lost Spring to China Hole and from there to his car.

Seven of us continued up Jackass, which is a singletrack that starts steep, continues steep, gives you a little break, then more steepness, then gets a bit easier towards the top. I've cleaned it before, but today I wasn't close. By the top I was walking any grade that was slightly difficult. I know Fourarm cleaned it though (and I'm jealous), and pretty much everyone else was doing better than me. I was glad to take a little break at the intersection with Blue Ridge before we followed that fire road up towards Mt. Sizer. I felt some rest was needed to renew my legs.

Unfortunately, after we started again it quickly became clear that there was to be no leg-renewing for me. The other six riders were almost immediately out of sight in front of me and I found myself in full-on bonk mode. If I let my attention wander I'd be off my bike and starting to lie down at the side of the trail. I had to stay focused all the time just to keep my body on task to pedal up the easier parts and slowly walk up the steeper bits. My only goal was to make it to Black Oak Spring trail so I could tell the others I was turning back. I was mad at myself for being so out of shape.

Eventually I did make it to the Black Oak Spring trail head. Menso and a few of the others had been riding so fast they went right past the unsigned trail. I don't know how much further they went before they realized their mistake and turned around. I told the rest I was out of there. Happily, J.L. (Menso's dad) was also feeling pretty toasted so I wouldn't be returning alone. After taking a few seconds to enjoy the fabulous views, J.L. and I headed back down Blue Ridge, Jackass and Poverty Flat to the Creekside intersection. The other five riders went down and up Black Oak to Hat Rock, and Rockhouse Ridge down to the Narrows (or so I assume - that was the plan).

At the bottom of Poverty Flat, I was happy to run into the group of riders that had started at 10am. We continued together over Creekside and up China Hole. Having lots of mtn biking friends around lifted my spirits, chased away my blues at being out of shape, and I made it back to the cars a happy guy. As we drove out, we saw Menso and Fourarm finishing their ride. They did a much tougher ride than me, and only took about 1/2 hour longer. That's something to shoot for.

My ride ended up being ~21.5 miles and just a shade under 5000' of climbing. Aside from my mid-bonk climb up Blue Ridge I had a good time in good company and good weather. Rensho mentioned that he didn't realize that Coe had trails like Middle Ridge and he had a new appreciation for the place. I think he spoke for a lot of people who enjoyed yet another fun day on a mountain bike.

(I think there are other ride reports on the original thread here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=249006&page=2)

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
yup...good ride (short for me)....and a great group of people as usual. Thanks Plim for the ride up...sorry ya missed the crash..it was a kinda slo-mo don't fall down the entire hill and grab a tree quick sorta goofy wash out..ugh :skep: I'm a spaz sometimes

My MTB mojo has been stolen - I was not on spot today - cut out early with JustJeff (who is getting WAAAAYY stronger BTW).

Looking forward to the next one...and I won't weenie out....I'll find my mojo somewhere...maybe on a *fun* niteride this Thurs.

-CHUM

PS - JustJEef ...thanks for the ride back...and the taco and Dos Equis..I owe ya one :thumbsup: Look forward to ridin' with ya again :D

·
190lbs of climber
1,533 Posts
The second half of the ride...

Charlie, Roy, Chris and I headed down Black Oak Trail, which turned out to barely exist. After half a mile of biking/walking down the hillside we found the trail, which until then had been demolished by the fire or hidden by piles of leaves. A sketchy leaf-covered downhill ensued, with much slipping and sliding. At the bottom of the trail we pointed ourselves up the other side of the valley towards Hat Rock and began a long hike-a-bike up the hillside, guided only by glimpses of the rock, as we discovered that the trail to Hat Rock was somehow even less existant than Black Oak. We climb the rock and took pictures, and then had a fun time zipping down the ridge.

We took Narrow Trail to Lost Spring, and then the China Hole trail down to the bottom of China Hole. I was running out of water and Paul was feeling restless or something, so the we took off while Charlie, Roy, and Chris took a break. After 45ish minutes of cranking, I got back to the car with about half a bottle of gatorade left. My dad got back to the car aroung 30 minutes before me, and the other three finished about an hour after I did, but I didn't mind waiting for them (Chris got a ride with me) since by that time I was content with simply sitting, eating, and drinking.

Now I am very sore, most from various cuts and bruises sustained from errant branches and a mishap when my chain derailled as I pedaled, causing me to whack my knee into the handlebars. But that ride was epic. 6.5 hours out there, 4.5 hours of ride time, and I didn't see 1/6 of the park. Coe is amazing. I can't wait for the next time someone leads me around it.

Specifics:
25ish miles, but we walked a lot
100oz of water in the camel back, approximately 40 oz of gatorade in bottles
me: tired

Thanks to Charlie and Paul for leading the way. I'm sure I would've been lost in no time on my own.

-Menso

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Predictable Ride: Totally Spread Out

(This is an exact copy of my report on the other thead, reposted here.)

As to be expected with riders of all spectrum of speeds, the ride diffracted into all colors of ride.

Mensho and Fourarm were off the front as Roy kept trying to reign them in. From the adjoining Middle Ridge, I could hear on the radio as Charlie and Roy were trying to get them back after they passed the turn for Black Oak on the neighboring Blue Ridge.

We had a fun time in the later Fast Eddy Hijack ride. We had about 8 riders. After the fun singletrack along Flat Frog, I knew my way and just kept going and missed everyone as I passed them at the bathroom. I thought everyone was up on Middle Ridge, as how could I possibly be faster than the group? I kept saying I was coming to them on the radio, like I was almost there, only 1000' to go. They thought I was 1000' below and went back looking. I thought everyone was really smoking hot today and trying to go faster. Total Confusion :confused:

I got up the top and they seemed to say they were coming up, but it didn't make sense as I waited there for 20 minutes. I didn't get radio call back any more, so I figured they MUST be ahead and continued on Middle ridge when I finally got a call saying they were at the intersection of Flat Frog and Middle Ridge, where was I? I said to keep on coming, I was going slow, and the pack caught up soon enough finally.

We had a great fun descent down the technical Middle Ridge, as always. At Poverty Flat Rd, we ran into Plim and J.L., Menso's Dad, who had peeled off and retreated from the madness of the dynamic trio, as expected. Nick and Jeff(?) had retreated even earlier and we missed them completely. Roy and Charlie kept up the fight tracking the dynamic trio.

Plim and J.L. joined our band as we hike-a-biked over to China Hole and came up through Manzanita. No bonus climbs for anyone in our group today. A lot of us (like me) were out of shape and thought the ride length was just perfect.

Back at the cars, as we're leaving, we saw Menso and Fourarm zip into the HQ lot around 2-3 PM. I suspect Charlie and Roy weren't too far behind. I briefly tried calling them on the radio before I left, but didn't get an answer. Too bad - I'd liked to meet them. But I was in the lead car leading the parade going to the Brewery (but it was closed). Scratch that, we're going to another good place Fast Eddy knew (but it was closed). Scratch that, we went to In N' Out burger. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Had a great ride at Coe today...

Now I'm no longer a Coe virgen. Loved the fast downhills and hike a bike sections- creek crossing and all! But the final climb out was my fav part. Pacing Tom and Ryan was perfect for my rythem today. And it is so beautiful out there... I'll get my ass up for the 8am one next time to cover more trails.
Thanks guys:thumbsup:
Oh- looking for photos, anyone to took 'em, posted them somewhere or can e-mail to me would be appreciated- [email protected]
Doug

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I really wasn't sick, I just can't stand not being in front of the pack, getting my butt kicked by a kid less than 1/2 my age and some dude on a heavy freeride bike ;) Mesno and Forearm are definitly stong riders who I look forward to hitting the trail again with some time.

It's a good thing I bailed, it took every thing I had to climb outa China hole, I was miserable. Thanks for the Heads up Charlie on the single track option dropping down from Jackass, that fireroad will never be ridden downhill again :thumbsup:

Even though I had a tough day the company was great and look forward to another shot at hat rock in the future.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Larry... and photos of the ride?

BigLarry said:
(This is an exact copy of my report on the other thead, reposted here.)

Hey Larry, did n't you have a camera? post your photos anywhere?

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
1. Jeff's got a big grin cuz his i9 wheels match his jersey
2. ML is focused as always (cuz he doesn't want to endo again and get both GPSs wet)
3. FE schooling the ranger about Coe
4. Ranger mentioning that he has seen blue Philwood SS poaching many of the trails around here. FE: "What poaches you talking bout?" Ranger: "I'll show you on this map"
5. Answer to riddle: If pond is not fully frozen, it only takes 1min per rider to pass a frozen pond.

Attachments

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
1. Who said there's no rest for the wicked.
2. ML is no longer last on rides
3. FE first up the climbs as always. No wonder he's called Fast Eddy.
4. I asked Mike what is favorite emoticon is. Here's his answer. :cornut:
5. JL looking as happy as ever.

Attachments

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
The ride, the bike, the people

It was good to meet some new people that were into the climbs of Henry Coe Park. I have to say, my new Specialized Epic Comp is fantastic. Riding Middle Ridge is much easier and going down Rock House Ridge, one of the bumbiest trails at the park was very comfortable compared to the OCLV hard tail. Of the group that went to Hat Rock, a very hardy bunch. The rediculous climbs didn't seem to bother them (in fact TogaMan [Chris]) is an excellent climber. When he gets his new Epic he will be a force to be reckoned with anywhere. Mensho was riding a bike without suspension or gears (almost) which can be tricky at Coe. Chains jumping off (I remember, now this doesn't happen to me) and extremely sore wrists. How he had the stamina to hike a lot of those uphills and continue on is baffling. At the end, riding up Mahogony Rush Road, no, wait, that's Madrone Point Road, we saw a Coyote while grunting up one of the last hills. It didn't seem too bothered with us and we stopped and just watched as he sort of casually lumbered up the trail, then stopping off the trail to itch a galaxy of fleas that were digging into his flesh. Amazing to be 30 feet away from this fella. I really didn't have any problem adjusting to the new bike but I seemed more tired than I should be. That could be from the heavier frame or different geometry or being pushed up the China Hole Trail by TogaMan. A very, very good day.

Roy.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
plymmer said:
I have to say, my new Specialized Epic Comp is fantastic
Nice bike Roy, I like that silver color, was not to fond of the puke orange color of the test bike you've been riding recently.

plymmer said:
(in fact TogaMan [Chris]) is an excellent climber.
That kid rocks, it's rare sight to see someone that young ride so strong over a long distance like that.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
rensho said:
2. ML is focused as always (cuz he doesn't want to endo again and get both GPSs wet)
GPS are waterproof. I worry about the rest of the gear.
Things to rememeber when getting photographed crossing stream:
1. Smile and intake the spray
2. Straighten helmet
3. Get off the trail quickly, even if chain gets knocked off by the rocks preventing pedalling. (I need one of them chain keepers.)

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
rensho said:
2. ML is no longer last on rides
In fact, I was first up to the top of Middle Ridge - by a long shot, at least 20 minutes. :D

Recall story of tortoise beating rabbits while rabbits sleep, or hung out at bathroom.

Thomas: Funny posts. Also, your pictures capture the spirit of the ride well.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Pictures

Velodromed said:
Now I'm no longer a Coe virgen. Loved the fast downhills and hike a bike sections- creek crossing and all! But the final climb out was my fav part. Pacing Tom and Ryan was perfect for my rythem today. And it is so beautiful out there... I'll get my ass up for the 8am one next time to cover more trails.
Thanks guys:thumbsup:
Oh- looking for photos, anyone to took 'em, posted them somewhere or can e-mail to me would be appreciated- [email protected]
Doug
Glad you could join and enjoyed the ride. Pictures took a while in photo processing. So here they are.

1. Flat Frog Trail - always delightful. Can you spot the three rider monkeys in the trees?
2. Me at the start of Middle Ridge trail all alone. I was first and nobody showed up for over 20 minutes. :D How'd that happen?
3. Rensho trying to do the steep hill in the DH on Middle Ridge. Few ever make it, except Plim claims to have done so on an undocumented trip. None this trip. Everyone stopped right about where I'm taking the picture.
4. Velodromed(?) trying to make the hill as well
5. A typical singlerack scene going down Middle Ridge.

Attachments

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Middle Ridge Trail Swoop

There's a bit of open area on Middle Ridge where the trail get's real swoopy. And I managed to get ahead of everyone (again!!!) to get these pictures.

1. Fast Eddy
2. Rensho (Thomas)
3. Velodrome(?)
4. JeffH
5. Bullit71 (Derek)

Attachments

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BigLarry said:
3. Rensho trying to do the steep hill in the DH on Middle Ridge. Few ever make it, except Plim claims to have done so on an undocumented trip. None this trip. Everyone stopped right about where I'm taking the picture.
What's this "claims" stuff?

I've made that climb more than once, including making it yesterday. So there. :prft: Undocumented trip my ass. I might be out of shape and lack endurance but I can still use my slowmentum to climb steep stuff before my legs poop out for the day. The trick is having enough traction - and yesterday's traction was superb.

I like the pics. :)

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Middle Ridge Technical

I kept my camera out on this Middle Ridge descent, and got a few pictures.

1. Rensho (Thomas) actually had to turn left on this steep slipper descent just after I got this picture and pass in front of me. Thanks for not hitting me!
2. Jeff also did well on this slippery steep sharp turn.
3. But Jeff hit a branch hidden in the leaves and did an endo right in front of me. I got my camera out quickly, but Jeff saw me trying to get a picture of him while sprawled out, and got up even quicker. Drats. :mad:

Attachments

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Growing MTBR Group

At Poverty Flat, we did the unavoidable play in the stream for a little bit. Then we went on down, just to see this.

1. Something's wrong with this picture, besides the tilt. Didn't Plim organize the ride to Black Oak Springs - only to just go up and look at it? He wisely retreated in the face of the dynamic trio and came back to his slower friends.
2. And here comes J.L., Menso's dad. Chum and another Jeff already retreated way before, and missed us.
3. Here Plim (Mike), J.L., and Fast Eddy all together now at Poverty Flat. See how much happier Mike looks now!

Attachments

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Streaming Riders

1. Fast Eddy claimed this stream crossing could be ridden. He got no suckers - nobody dared even try. Not even Fast Eddy.
2. The way bikes are often ridden at Henry Coe. Here we're on the way to China Hole.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts