Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great ride today...that is such a great route. Good to see so many people show - we must have had mid to high-20's to start. Some peeled off at various points, but the majority finished the whole thing.

No pics from me - I carried the camera, but just didn't feel like snapping pics; was in a heads-down riding mode due to the SS. Sam took a bunch of video, and others snapped pics, so I look forward to seeing all that.

There was some carnage on this ride...I think it was liteandfast (Dave) that toppled off the trail climbing Sunrise, and tweaked some stuff; then there was a hard-core three-rider crash dropping down from the Fountain Hills dirt road towards Dixie Mine/Golden Eagle when the double-track just disappeared into a 6-7 foot drop and...off they went, head over heels. Some tweaks and scrapes to both riders and bikes, but all were OK.

Note to self: A hardtail down Windgate sucks ass.

2nd note to self: A bald, overinflated rear-tire on this ride sucks ass.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
What a great comeback ride! Good news is that shoulder pain was a non-issue. Bad news is that flats are a really really bad choice for this ride :rolleyes: What was I thinking? Thanks to everyone for waiting for my slow arse and special thanks to Sam for seeing that I made it up and over Bell on my little "shortcut". It was a good day.

I got a few pics, including the 3-bike pile up while everyone was doing their body check. whew - that one could have been a lot worse. Glad all were ok and I hope that wrist heals up lickity split. CoyoteKis - great to finally meet you! I think you are ready for a sofa bike and armor - lets go ride big stuff :) Waterfall lessons!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Good job.

I did this ride solo around this time last year as a fitness test for the quadruple bypass and it pretty much took me all day. This version of the double bypass is truly a great route. I especially enjoyed the solitude of Wingate pass.

I was tempted to come along today and slow you all down but needed to be at my daughter's clarinet recital.

Thanks for the pictures, so at least I can enjoy the ride vicariously.

·
Registered
632 Posts
great ride today--been looking forward to this loop for a while. Glad almost everyone got long breaks waiting for me to bring up the rear of the train----ha ha.
I ran out of climb strength going up Windgate, but coming down Windgate and Paradise was superb-- big FUN!
Walt, thanks for the Tecate recovery drink. Ahhh!
Sam, thanks for getting this ride together!

·
Combining Old and Bold
116 Posts
Ouch!!! I'm glad I was able to get home without calling the sag wagon, but that hurt a little. The wrist is a little swollen and painful, and the ribs are sore, but hopefully that is all temporary. Plenty of time to heal before the Quadruple. Most importantly, the Mojo seems just fine!

It was great to meet and ride with you all. Truly some impressive climbers among you!

·
Dave
899 Posts
Accident Report

Well gang that started off wonderful. I must admit I enjoyed that climb up to the beer stop. I am real glad I turned around, my foot is very swollen and I'm limping around. Can't put full weight on it at all. Damn just before the holidays. Anyways thanks Tim for getting me back down. Sam great ride, gotta get back here in January.
DG nice pictures.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
goood times

Thanks Sam and Walt for organizing and the route. It really was a great one.
props to DG for climbing all that on her big rig, on flats, after a few weeks off the bike! What a feat.
It was great to meet some new people today.
I got a couple pix too.
1. Ti trame, Al beer
2. checking the time
3. nice climb!
4. lotsa riders today
5. windgate drinking.

Attachments

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
chongoman said:
props to DG for climbing all that on her big rig, on flats, after a few weeks off the bike! What a feat.
I got a couple pix too.
1. Ti trame, Al beer
2. checking the time
3. nice climb!
4. lotsa riders today
5. windgate drinking.
hey bob... you forgot the images. tired? I think I can finally take a shower now... upon return I immediately did the pics, then had to clean the pool of all the crap from yesterday's date palm attack, then tidy the house since the housekeeper is coming tomorrow to do her thing. whew. I'm whooped :eek:

Edit: images up now... thx!

·
1,473 Posts
chongoman said:
I got a couple pix too.
1. Ti trame, Al beer
quote]

Must have been a bad reaction between the Ti and Al since the chainring in that pic self destructed in a pretty dramatic way. Fortunately that was on the downside of Windgate.

--Jeff

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
u2metoo said:
Here's a vid of the day:
Thanks for putting the video together! Pretty funny to see us Phoenicians all bundled up.

I can see exhaustion in my posture on the clips down Bell whereas you are all spry and just zipping along. Whew am I sore today! Calves and quads are screaming, but it's a good pain :p I'm glad to be back on the bike.

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
Great vid Sam. And thanks for editing out my foot tap on the climb! And I noticed my threat to you, when I wasn't all there and cramping and just about everything else happening to me at once, was not in there. Thumbs up!

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
FUN first group ride! Hacking up a lung and babying my rib injury aside, it was MOST excellent to vibe on the group dynamic.

Walt, I'm glad I wasn't the only "smart" enough to wear only under armour and a light jersey. I almost wept at the top of windgate. When *I* don't finish a beer, you know it's baaaaaad mojo! :D

Sam, thanks for capturing it all on video! You rode like a MANIAC and kept me laughing ALL day. Thanks also, for laughing when I quasi-flipped the bird on the climb to Sunrise. I was afraid you'd captured me snot-rocketing. ;)

Kathleen, aka Peppermint Patty, thanks for sharing schnapps and germs with me! it was SO nice to finally meet you!! You are a BLAST. I look forward to being your "grasshoppa" for those sessions on the waterfall! :eek: Hurt me! HURT ME! Hope you're feeling better today.

JB, thanks for being my "Saint Bernard", with that flask serving as the "barrel" around your neck. :thumbsup: If not for you warming me up with that scotch, they'd have found me frozen ala The Shining.

To everyone else, such a pleasure meeting everyone, and you're all climbing FIENDS.

·
Combining Old and Bold
116 Posts
Carnage Report

I spent the morning with our medical folks, and our trailside diagnosis (sprain) didn't pan out. Turned out it was a fracture, and I'm already sporting the cast and learning to type one-handed. I guess after 19 years on the mtb, I was overdue.

So do I have to join a spinning class now? Noooo!!! :eek:

Dwight

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.