Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, any guesses on whether we'll see MicroSpline cassettes in less-than-12SPD?

It'd be nice to be able to use older drivetrains on newer freehubs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
So, any guesses on whether we'll see MicroSpline cassettes in less-than-12SPD?

It'd be nice to be able to use older drivetrains on newer freehubs.
I imagine you will eventually, but it may be some time. Looks like right now, Shimano is just finishing getting into the 12 speed game.

Now that the XT and SLX 12 speed are out, I'd imagine trickle down will happen. Doubt we will see below 10/11 speed though. Just don't see Shimano putting $ into developing a 7/8/9 speed cassette that requires a $290+ hub to use.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,517 Posts
I imagine you will eventually, but it may be some time. Looks like right now, Shimano is just finishing getting into the 12 speed game.

Now that the XT and SLX 12 speed are out, I'd imagine trickle down will happen. Doubt we will see below 10/11 speed though. Just don't see Shimano putting $ into developing a 7/8/9 speed cassette that requires a $290+ hub to use.

The SLX hub will be $85 when it finally becomes available.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Curious where you got the 85 price from. Even the freehubs are more than that on every site listed.

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't matter. That's not what this thread is about.

Its about making old drivetrains work with new freehubs. That means 11SPD MicroSpline cassettes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I get what you're saying. Just curious where the info came from. Responder indicated SLX hub, which doesn't mean 11sp.
I'd be surprised if they didn't make a 11sp microspline cassette at some point. Might or might not be from Shimano, though. I'm willing to bet someone like Sunrace or Microshift will.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,517 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,517 Posts
Yes, but will the Shimano cup and cone system be as bombroof as Hope's sealed design?
I don't know. The bearings I'm not worried about. They have proven to be bombproof, although difficult to set up correctly by some when serviced. It's the freehub mechanism that has given me trouble in the past. I believe that they are now using a ratchet system similar to DT, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's very similar to the system DT has...ratchet as compared to the more common pawl system used on most hubs.

I'm waiting for the freehubs for Onyx to release so I can get it into my wheels...

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Shimanos bearings are considerably better than hopes.

Shimano originally made 11s versions of microspline, and then canned it. But it has already been designed and tested, they just didn't move forward.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Yes, but will the Shimano cup and cone system be as bombroof as Hope's sealed design?
I don't understand this. Shimano's bearings have seals also. They are bigger bearings and hold more grease so they are more tolerant of contamination. They're also easier to service. As long as you don't crank down the preload, they will last forever.

As for cassettes, I think in the next 12 months someone will release 11 speed that goes on microspline. It's all dependent on how fast Shimano can make their cheap hubs available. Where there is a market, there will be a supplier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Concerning the price of the new hubs, Shimano will soon release a new Deore level freehub with the Micro-Spline. It is a pawl type and will be available in QR 135, 141 and TA 142, 148. Spoke hole options: 28H, 32H, 36H.

Just look up FH-MT500 / 500-B / 510 / 510-B.

I expect this to cost about the same as the good old 525's.

So I'm pretty sure we will see at least 11 and maybe 10-speed on micro-spline. I guess the old Hyperglide will be kept for the lower end only (below Alivio).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Been a while, the XT and SLX hubs are out and readily available. With the AL freehub and no pawls shimano now looks to have what should be a durable and weight competitive rear hub. I'll take their serviceable cup and cone bearing setup over a cartridge all day every day. Sturdier parts that take a little know-how, yes please.

That said, I don't really have any reason to go to 12 speed. I have a set of carbon rims waiting for an 11 speed Microspline cassette to hit the market. Anyone heard anything on this front?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
That said, I don't really have any reason to go to 12 speed. I have a set of carbon rims waiting for an 11 speed Microspline cassette to hit the market. Anyone heard anything on this front?
The Shimano 11 speed cassette was cancelled months ago.
And with so few manufacturers making microspline hubs....I don't see SunRace or Chinese companies like ZTTO rushing to make a 11 s microspline cassette ( considering they are busy making 12s cassettes that fit standard Shimano freehubs)

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,839 Posts
Subscribed.

Right now I need to use stainless or Ti freehubs to avoid gouging. If an aluminum micro spline was an option I'd be down for that. Probably not going to 12 speed in the near future.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah, the cancelled Shimano 11speed isn't what I need - it was to have the same cog spacing as the 12 speed stuff. Right now I'm running DT hubs and XD drivers with XX1 11speed cassettes and Shimano shifting. I simply want to run the new XT hubs in this system. I'm sure someone will make the cassette eventually, my money is on Sunrace, but I'm guessing it will be a while.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Subscribed.

Right now I need to use stainless or Ti freehubs to avoid gouging. If an aluminum micro spline was an option I'd be down for that. Probably not going to 12 speed in the near future.
micro spline cassette is still gouging the micro spline freehub body

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.