Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to get a VP Free frame to replace my 03 Heckler, however have some questions on transfer of parts.
Can I move my current crank, a Truvativ Holzfeller 22/32 teeth with 73/113mm Gigapipe Team DH BB over to the VP Free?

I'm guessing my Hope M4 Discs 180mm front/170mm rear should not be a problem though.

Any comments and insights would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
868 Posts
jackcfk said:
Planning to get a VP Free frame to replace my 03 Heckler, however have some questions on transfer of parts.
Can I move my current crank, a Truvativ Holzfeller 22/32 teeth with 73/113mm Gigapipe Team DH BB over to the VP Free?

I'm guessing my Hope M4 Discs 180mm front/170mm rear should not be a problem though.

Any comments and insights would be much appreciated.
The bottom bracket may fit (ie the cranks clear the swing arm) but it will be close... or it won't... but they recommend the monsterous 128mm... I just built mine tonight using a 118 and haven't dialed in the deraillers ... my guess is that a 113 will be too narrow given the 150 mm hub.

I'm using hope m4s 200/180, and those don't seem to be an issue... don't know why yours would be.

What fork are you running? Is it off the heckler? I would recommend a 170mm travel fork minimum... the head angle is set up for a really long travel fork. I have a 888 on mine and it is still a steeper angle than my friends DH bike with a shorter travel fork. I can't imagine what a free would be like with a z150 or the like...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
robsetsfire said:
The bottom bracket may fit (ie the cranks clear the swing arm) but it will be close... or it won't... but they recommend the monsterous 128mm... I just built mine tonight using a 118 and haven't dialed in the deraillers ... my guess is that a 113 will be too narrow given the 150 mm hub.

I'm using hope m4s 200/180, and those don't seem to be an issue... don't know why yours would be.

What fork are you running? Is it off the heckler? I would recommend a 170mm travel fork minimum... the head angle is set up for a really long travel fork. I have a 888 on mine and it is still a steeper angle than my friends DH bike with a shorter travel fork. I can't imagine what a free would be like with a z150 or the like...
I plan to run a 04 super-t on it, please post some pics of your bike once its done.

·
I Just Ride
284 Posts
search for the post named "my new VP Free" or something along those lines

there's probably 10 different bikes on that post

Using your current cranks the chainline might be a little off but since you are just using a double it shouldn't be too bad. Mine came with a 38t holzfeller single which I couldn't climb with. I just put a diabolus double on it and it works great. As long as you stick with a double setup, a standard xt front drlr will work no need to get an e-type.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you go with the whole e-type thing, then you will need the 128 according to SC. Check speedgoat's thing about setting it up as well.

Also, they set theirs up with a superT. Should be a fine match.

I'll post pics this weekend if I can find a camera.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
robsetsfire said:
If you go with the whole e-type thing, then you will need the 128 according to SC. Check speedgoat's thing about setting it up as well.

Also, they set theirs up with a superT. Should be a fine match.

I'll post pics this weekend if I can find a camera.
If I'm running the 113mm BB, I don't think the chain will be able to go to the few smallest cogs on the cassette, but I think I can live without the last 1 or 2. Perhaps I shold look for a 34 tooth chainring to complement the setup.

·
Registered
868 Posts
jackcfk said:
If I'm running the 113mm BB, I don't think the chain will be able to go to the few smallest cogs on the cassette, but I think I can live without the last 1 or 2. Perhaps I shold look for a 34 tooth chainring to complement the setup.
I'm using a 28/38 in the front with a 11-34 in the rear...

The problem you will have with the short spindle (other than the cranks possibly hitting the frame) is that you may not be able to shift into the biggest (lowest geared) cogs in the rear when you are in the small ring because the chainline will put the chain into the rear tire or the rear suspension. (I had this happen on my Saber.)

I went with the 118, but had some problems setting it up that I will go into when I post a build report. Like others have noticed, the e13 DRS and the VP-Free are not the best of friends... It setup, but not the way I would optimally like it too... I need to try it out to see how well it will work and shift first. After the setup, I'm quite convinced that a 113 will not work well... I'm not sure about the 118 yet... I don't want to run a 128 though...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.