Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to get a 110mm standard 33t Chainring for my singlespeed 29er and I know they are around but I can't find any anywhere, can anyone point me to the right direction?
Thanks

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,731 Posts
Zanetti said:
Boone used to make them on a special order basis.
I bought an unused Boon ti 33t x 110bcd ring from someone on this site recently. So I know they exist. I don't know what they retail for, only what I paid (which shall remain a mystery...)

--Sparty

·
donkey
263 Posts
I know Surly and Truvativ make 33t chain rings. Not sure about the BCDs though. Correct me if I'm wrong (please), but isn't 4-Bolt 94mm BCD the current mtb standard? Seems like older race face is the only mtb stuff i can find thats 5 bolt.

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
64/104 mm bcd 4 bolt rings

Most common new cranks use 64 small, 104mm middle and big (or bash) 4 bolt circle diameter:

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bcd

Of course there are a few different bcd cranks still made, but for atb, 64/104 4 bolt is the most common for Race Face, Shimano, etc.

Older bcd cranks can be found on ebay, etc, and chainrings are still made for most of them. ATB cranks were most common in 74/110, 58/94, 56/94, and now the 64/104

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,731 Posts
confusing linguistics

sparrow said:
Most common new cranks use 64 small, 104mm middle and big (or bash) 4 bolt circle diameter:

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bcd

Of course there are a few different bcd cranks still made, but for atb, 64/104 4 bolt is the most common for Race Face, Shimano, etc.

Older bcd cranks can be found on ebay, etc, and chainrings are still made for most of them. ATB cranks were most common in 74/110, 58/94, 56/94, and now the 64/104
74/110 came first, so when the smaller bcds came on the scene they were called "compact" and 74/110 was referred to as "standard." These labels are still used even though "compact" cranks are more common/standard than "standard" these days.

For heaven's sake, let's not start calling compact cranks standard or we'll get really confused when discussing them. I can see it now... A guy walks into his LBS and says, "I need a standard 34t chainring." Bike shop guy replies, "Old standard or new standard?" :rolleyes:

--Sparty

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Hal brain, you didn't read Sparty's post. 104mm rings like the Surly and Truvativ are compact.

I don't know of anyone making 33x110mm rings currently other than Specialties TA. Warhawk/chainrings.com used to offer them (as I recall from when I bought a 35x110mm from them), but they no longer do. Sparty, didn't you have a Warhawk 33t before you got the Boone? You might also check Action-Tec. They make a lot of weird sizes of stuff.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,731 Posts
GlowBoy said:
... Sparty, didn't you have a Warhawk 33t before you got the Boone? ...
Yes, I bought a 33t x 110bcd from them back when they were known only as chainrings.com. Two, in fact. Those were 1/8" chain specific rings. Soft metal -- I wore the first one out quickly; don't remember if I ever even put the second one on.

Since that time I started using 3/32" rings/cogs and running 8spd chains with a powerlink. Never broken a chain yet (knock on carbon fiber) and that includes training for and completing the 100 mile Cascade Cream Puff on my SS.

--Sparty

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Sparticus said:
74/110 came first, so when the smaller bcds came on the scene they were called "compact" and 74/110 was referred to as "standard." These labels are still used even though "compact" cranks are more common/standard than "standard" these days.

For heaven's sake, let's not start calling compact cranks standard or we'll get really confused when discussing them. I can see it now... A guy walks into his LBS and says, "I need a standard 34t chainring." Bike shop guy replies, "Old standard or new standard?" :rolleyes:

--Sparty
And now road "compact" is 110BCD, same as the old mtb "standard".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.