Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
mega-range cassette?

I've got one on my wife's bike. It's a big jump from the 26-34, basically a 'bail-out' gear, which is good for that purpose. For me, the gear combo's are less useable, since there's short jumps in the higher gears and the few big jumps at the low end of the cassette. I really like the 12-32 on the XTR (for use w/ std cranks, 11-30 good w/ compact setup), but for my wife's uses the megarange is great, since she's not an avid biker.
I believe Sheldon Brown likes it, he's got something about it somewhere in here..link http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
Oh, check around some of the usual suspects online stores, I've seen it cheaper than that one eBay (unless you got some paypal money to burn!)

anand said:
Has anybody ever heard or used this cassette from Shimano?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42328&item=3690972277&rd=1

It is a 8 speed 11-34 cassette. Looks low end but the gearing sound interesting.

I am looking at a 11-32 SRAM 5.0 cassette and this caught my eye.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
logbiter said:
I've got one on my wife's bike. It's a big jump from the 26-34, basically a 'bail-out' gear, which is good for that purpose. For me, the gear combo's are less useable, since there's short jumps in the higher gears and the few big jumps at the low end of the cassette. I really like the 12-32 on the XTR (for use w/ std cranks, 11-30 good w/ compact setup), but for my wife's uses the megarange is great, since she's not an avid biker.
I believe Sheldon Brown likes it, he's got something about it somewhere in here..link http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
Oh, check around some of the usual suspects online stores, I've seen it cheaper than that one eBay (unless you got some paypal money to burn!)
This is listed as going from a 28 to a 34. A 26 to a 34 would be too great of a jump.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
My God! 28 to 34 is a huge jump!

anand said:
This is listed as going from a 28 to a 34. A 26 to a 34 would be too great of a jump.
Wow, I dont know about the gearing offered these days. an 8spd cassette with a 34T large cog should have about a 16T small cog not an 11T.

The 25T to 28T jump is more than I would like on the low end of my cassette.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Shayne said:
Wow, I dont know about the gearing offered these days. an 8spd cassette with a 34T large cog should have about a 16T small cog not an 11T.

The 25T to 28T jump is more than I would like on the low end of my cassette.
Just built my own 8spd cassette. Utilized my stock 11-30T cassette. Added a single 34T cog, an 8spd spacer, and dropped off the 11 and 12T top gears. Then just ordered a 12T top (recessed for the threaded ring). Will now be a 12-34T with only a 4 tooth jump in last three gears - 24-30-34.

All parts ordered from Harris Cycles!
Mike

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtncrawler said:
Just built my own 8spd cassette. Utilized my stock 11-30T cassette. Added a single 34T cog, an 8spd spacer, and dropped off the 11 and 12T top gears. Then just ordered a 12T top (recessed for the threaded ring). Will now be a 12-34T with only a 4 tooth jump in last three gears - 24-30-34.

All parts ordered from Harris Cycles!
Mike
Hey, that sounds pretty cool and exactly what I am looking for. Where is harris cycles?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Suntour's got 11-34 in 7, 8 and 9 speed cogsets. I'm using the 8speed one on one bike, shifts fine.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
I've got one ...

anand said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42328&item=3690972277&rd=1

It is a 8 speed 11-34 cassette. Looks low end but the gearing sound interesting.

I like it. If you're having trouble getting up hills in your highest gear, this will help you. If you cruise up the hills with ease, you probably don't want it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
stupid question....

anand said:

All this tooing and froing over a 34T ring on cassette, why not go to a smaller front chainring like I did? a 24/34 is .70 and a 22/32 is .69. I must be missing something?

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
It changes your gearing range ...

browns110 said:
All this tooing and froing over a 34T ring on cassette, why not go to a smaller front chainring like I did? a 24/34 is .70 and a 22/32 is .69. I must be missing something?
The increments aren't nearly as important as the range. 11-34T gives you a bigger range without having to resort to a clumsy change on the front derailleur. The 34T cog gives you a nice bail out gear if things go badly.

BTW, if you're already using a 22 tooth granny ring, going smaller really isn't an option. Though, if I had my druthers I would run a larger granny and an even larger rear cog (36T). Smaller grannies are more succeptible to chain suck.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
browns110 said:
I am already running a 22 front chainring. The 22/34 is a great bail out gear. I am loving my 8 speed 13-34 cassette.

·
Registered
73 Posts
anand said:
I am already running a 22 front chainring. The 22/34 is a great bail out gear. I am loving my 8 speed 13-34 cassette.
Actually a 13-34 doesn't sound too bad. I had actually thought about doing something as I don't have much use for a 11 or 12 gear. I'm old and slow :eek:) I wasn't sure how to go about it until I read about company offering separate rings. Problem is my XTR has a 14 and 13 to 14 step up on shift doesn't sound all that practical. Seems like too much shifting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.