Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ello

i've just fitted an 11-34 XTR 970 cassette on my new DT1450 wheelset, i usually ride with with a 11-32 XTR 970 on Crossmax SLR.

i took the new wheels for a test ride, the chain just would not settle, rear deralleur cable adjustment made no difference.

i'm using SRAM X.0 Gripshift with medium cage X.0 rear deralleur & XTR 22/32/44 crankset.

...do i need to re-set the rear derailleur for different cassette ratios, or is there something else wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
If I remember correctly, SRAM recommends, at least for your crankset/chainring configuration, the long cage for the 11-34 cassette and the medium for anything up to 11-32. There is some calculation for what goes with what on SRAM's site. However, I have used a 11-34 with a medium cage. Check your b-set screw as recommended above. I probably won't hurt to check your derailleur hi/lo limits, too.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
massive thanks for the feedback.

i might have been abit nieve to expect a medium X.0 rear derrallieur to shift both 11-32 & 11-34 cassettes without any A B adjustment. funny that in all the years i've been mtbing, this is the first time i've had anything but an 11-32 ratio to play with.

the chain is a fairly newish KMC X9 SL, not stretched + well maintained.

the bike shifts perfectly with 2 different wheelsets with XTR 960 & 970 11-32 cassettes. but when i spun the new 11-34 cassette on tarmac to test before some mountaineering - the chain doesn't engage the 11t - 20t cogs very confidently, however 23t - 26t - 30t - 34t seems okay.

....i might just give the cassette to the mrs for xmas, and stick with the 11-32 ratio - so i can continue to swap wheelsets between bikes without any hassles.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
culturesponge said:
massive thanks for the feedback.

i might have been abit nieve to expect a medium X.0 rear derrallieur to shift both 11-32 & 11-34 cassettes without any A B adjustment. funny that in all the years i've been mtbing, this is the first time i've had anything but an 11-32 ratio to play with.

the chain is a fairly newish KMC X9 SL, not stretched + well maintained.

the bike shifts perfectly with 2 different wheelsets with XTR 960 & 970 11-32 cassettes. but when i spun the new 11-34 cassette on tarmac to test before some mountaineering - the chain doesn't engage the 11t - 20t cogs very confidently, however 23t - 26t - 30t - 34t seems okay.

....i might just give the cassette to the mrs for xmas, and stick with the 11-32 ratio - so i can continue to swap wheelsets between bikes without any hassles.
once you have it adjusted for 11/34 it will probably work with the 11/32 as its smaller so you can still swap wheels

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
follow up.

i carefully re-installed the XTR 970 11-34t to the DT Swiss 1450 XC wheelset, lightly using Phil Wood grease between the carriers. appears 3rd time is a charm - without any derailleur adjustment beyond tweaking the adjuster at the Gripshift, the cassette + chain work just fine through all the gears.

thanks for the help peeps.

...now i'll have to think up something else for the mrs!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.