Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just converted my bike to 2 chainrings up front (29/42) two days ago and now also went to a 11-32 in the back. i have those nice aluminium cassettes that weigh just 146g including lockring. i now replaced the 11 and 12t cogs which usually are steel with the ones out of a Tune Titanium cassette and that way the cassette weighs just 135g - sweet;)

the cassette got a special coating which should help in durability. you can see the regular al-cassette with that golden colour on my scale. we will see if the coating works...so far the cassette shifts as crisp as any shimano. absolutely perfect also under hard load. no problems at all.

i also have re-taken my titanium cassette project. planned cassettes are 11-28 and 11-32.

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
Aluminum is just a poor material for a cassette. Even if you were just going to use it for a big event, it's not worth the risk of bending or damaging a cog if you are rider with any decent amount of power. It's more important to have perfect and reliable shifting than to save 100 g. Any good rider will tell you that.

But these cassettes are the perfect buy for weighing your bike.

And no, these cassettes will not shift even close to Shimano.:nono:

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mpap89 said:
but what about when you run out of higher gears on the back?
guys,
i hardly ever reach top speed where i ride. so the 42 is enough. and the difference between 42 and 44 is really minor. that doesn't change much. i can spin quite fast so that's no disadvantage at all.

the cassette shifts as good as shimano. look closer: it has shifting ramps as well as machined teeth just like shimano has. no problem there. don't judge things you haven't used. if it holds up will be seen soon. i usually don't use aluminium on my MTB cassettes. this is just a test also to see how i like the two chainrings in the front.

Attachments

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
nino said:
guys,
i hardly ever reach top speed where i ride. so the 42 is enough. and the difference between 42 and 44 is really minor. that doesn't change much. i can spin quite fast so that's no disadvantage at all.

the cassette shifts as good as shimano. look closer: it has shifting ramps as well as machined teeth just like shimano has. no problem there. don't judge things you haven't used. if it holds up will be seen soon. i usually don't use aluminium on my MTB cassettes. this is just a test also to see how i like the two chainrings in the front.
So what's the "special coating" on these that you mentioned earlier? I want one with baked on diamonds, that would be cool. Gem stones on bikes is a totally untapped market just waiting to explode.:thumbsup:

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
nino said:
i just converted my bike to 2 chainrings up front (29/42) two days ago and now also went to a 11-32 in the back. i have those nice aluminium cassettes that weigh just 146g including lockring. i now replaced the 11 and 12t cogs which usually are steel with the ones out of a Tune Titanium cassette and that way the cassette weighs just 135g - sweet;)

the cassette got a special coating which should help in durability. you can see the regular al-cassette with that golden colour on my scale. we will see if the coating works...so far the cassette shifts as crisp as any shimano. absolutely perfect also under hard load. no problems at all.

i also have re-taken my titanium cassette project. planned cassettes are 11-28 and 11-32.
What's the deal with your power arm cranks? Still on the injured list? I see your still running that Sugino SS big ring. Those rings just last and last. What are you using for the smaller chain ring and how is shifting? Also, are you using a standard 113 BB spindle or have you moved to something shorter. Nice work.
p.s. Question: now wouldn't a person get much more cassette wear running a 2x9 over a 3x9 due to the amount of cross chaining required? Seems like this could spell premature wear on a Al cassette in that application, IMO.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
mpap89 said:
but what about when you run out of higher gears on the back?
what singletrack are you riding where 42x11 is too easy???

Axis II said:
now wouldn't a person get much more cassette wear running a 2x9 over a 3x9 due to the amount of cross chaining required?
i asked a similar question to people who ran 1x9, and the answer was no, it does not wear any faster than 3x9. so i'd expect 2x9 not to be any different.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tmaybee said:
How do you find riding now without the close gear ratios? How much lighter is this setup than the ultra compact?
1st ride is just about to happen. i will let you know how i like it or not. i have a 29t ring up front so this already moves gears a bit closer than the regular 32t ring.

weights:
12-27 Dura Ace cassette 180g..........11-32 = 135g............................................................-45g
no 20t chainring..............................................................................................................-9g
no inner chainring bolts....(well, actually on the Race face cranks you need them)..................-5g
32t Sugino 32g..........actual 29t = 19g..............................................................................-13g
113mm ISIS BB+bolts = 182g..........actual 108mm BB+bolts = 159g..................................-23g

total savings over previous setup: 96g

@Axix:
no, the cassette won't see more wear at all. i swapped the 113mm wide ISIS BB for a 108mm roadie BB. the BB is supposed to go on 68mm BBshells only but i shaved the right side cup and now it is mounted in the middle of the Scales 73mm shell. works perfect and moves the 2 chainrings in a perfect position.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Nigel said:
Nino.
Is a 42 tooth a big enough front ring? Seems kinda like a small big one to push in a sprint situation.
Suntour picked these chainring sizes for their original Microdrive cranks... 20/32/42. Why? Because they used an 11-24 cassette. Why? Because they were trying to duplicate the gear ranges racers used most, that of a 24/36/46 standard chainring spread, and 12-28 cassette.

We're talking about a hair under 100 gear inches here. On level (and smooth) ground and favourable wind conditions that'd be enough for most racers to sprint to 50kmh.

·
Registered
796 Posts
jakeplazma said:
I believe he's using the Race Face Next LP ISIS crankset right now...
Yeah, I thought that was temporary though because of problems with the Storck Power Arms which he was using with 103 mm square.

But if he was using a 103 mm BB before on his triple setup, then why would he use a 113 mm BB just because his Next LP were ISIS? Wouldn't he already be using the shortest ISIS (108 mm)?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
eurorider said:
Yeah, I thought that was temporary though because of problems with the Storck Power Arms which he was using with 103 mm square.

But if he was using a 103 mm BB before on his triple setup, then why would he use a 113 mm BB just because his Next LP were ISIS? Wouldn't he already be using the shortest ISIS (108 mm)?
as mentioned above the Storcks are still at the manufacturer for repair. in the meantime i use the Next LPs off my winterbike along with a regular ISIS MTB BB (113mm). there's no need to go all out just for this rather short period.... i now swapped that BB for a shorter 108mm to get a better chainline. but i will still use my 103mm square BB again as soon as i get back my Storck Powerarms.

by the way - i had my 1st real ride with that 2x9 setup and as mentioned above shifting works perfect. absolutely on par with Shimano even though some won't believe! so far not a single problem. good thing about this setup is you don't have to think abvout shifting anymore since there is less shifting going on compared to my previous setup. however i found myself already shifting to the next higher gear only to shift back again a couple of seconds later because it was too much to take. as i mentioned already with the closer ratios of the DA cassette i apreciate to always have a correct gear on ghand which suits my power. today i had to back-shift twice because i was used from my previuous setup to go a little bit faster. today i had to get back into the lower gear even though i could have gone a bit faster....well - i'm no racer so this is no big deal. and i wasn't going at full speed either since i was riding with my friend. i will do a fast lap within the next couple of days so i can judge better if the big gaps are more pain than gain.

needless to say i couldn't feel the 100g difference when riding. it's all a matter of having better gear selection. so far i liked it.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
42t small? I once had a bech race where I road 42t up front with a 12-25 Tiagra cassete (I hated myself for that, and still do). 26" wheels even, and fatty slicks.
I truly CRUISED 55kph for around half an hour over the first 3/4hr, thanks to tail winds. Topped 60kph. How fast do you sprint? Me, slower than 50kph, actually.

·
Registered
50 Posts
so, nino, one question...DA rear derellieur its only for max 28T, It works well with that cassette 11-32, being short cage? I suppose that it will be as my xtr 960 short cage....i don´t understand....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.