Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I use all the travel on mt '01 Monster when I do something like 5 ft to flat. I'm planning on going big this summer. Should I swap the springs and use lighter oil or use heavy oil with stock springs? What's the difference :confused: ? What are the pros/cons of both? I'm only 150lbs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
you do not tune a fork like that.

Springs are selected according to your weight, ie. to get the right amount of sag.

Your oil height will help prevent bottoming out your fork; more oil=less bottom-out.

Oil weight is set depending on how fast (or slow) you want the fork to react to bumps.

Using stiff springs with oil thats too light will give a harsh pogo-like ride. Soft springs and heavy oil will make the fork sloppy and unreactive. The rule is, your oil weight should be increased as your spring stiffness is increased. They should never do the opposite.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another question pops-up

zedro said:
you do not tune a fork like that.

Springs are selected according to your weight, ie. to get the right amount of sag.

Your oil height will help prevent bottoming out your fork; more oil=less bottom-out.

Oil weight is set depending on how fast (or slow) you want the fork to react to bumps.

Using stiff springs with oil thats too light will give a harsh pogo-like ride. Soft springs and heavy oil will make the fork sloppy and unreactive. The rule is, your oil weight should be increased as your spring stiffness is increased. They should never do the opposite.
I have correct sag (1.6 or so) on 7" of travel with preload all the way in, but I use all the travel on small stuff. Does it mean that I need heavier springs and thicker oil :confused:

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
try heavier springs with less preload to gain the same sag. as zedro said, the oil thickness has nothing to do with your weight, only the responsiveness of the fork. thicker oil = slower rebound and compression, while thinner is the opposite.

as well, you can run two different springs in the legs to customize further. (say a regular and a hard, it allows for finer tuning)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
i would increase your oil height first; that makes the fork more progressive. Only add oil if your bottoming out; a properly tuned fork will use most of its travel in every situation (the dampers differentiate between large and small bumps). At your weight, i really dont think you need heavier than stock springs. Dont increase your oil weight.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
90mm

zedro said:
i would increase your oil height first; that makes the fork more progressive. Only add oil if your bottoming out; a properly tuned fork will use most of its travel in every situation (the dampers differentiate between large and small bumps). At your weight, i really dont think you need heavier than stock springs. Dont increase your oil weight.
It's set at 90mm (10% more thatn needed). "Should I stay or should I go?"

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Lucky13 said:
It's set at 90mm (10% more thatn needed). "Should I stay or should I go?"
listed oil heights are only recommendations, you can set it at 85mm if you need. The only consequence of too much oil is a loss of travel.

If your not bottoming out, then there is no problem. If your fork is using all its travel without bottoming out, then its doing its job and leave it alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts