Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one that has 10t cog skips. Two different bikes. My chain does not measure stretched at all and skips under hard load in the 10.

One bike is E, so lots of power.

Other bike has two wheelsets, each with its own cassette. (Different tires) Only one skips.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Is the limit screw too far in? Cassettes can sit in a slightly different position laterally on different wheels, hence skipping on one set of wheels and not the other.
Is the hanger bent?
Is there any crud/mud/grass etc wrapped around the cassette?

Is this the first chain on that cassette? Could it be that the 10t cog has been worn from a previous chain? Especially prevalent on an e-bike when you're likely spending a lot of time in the 10t. The rest of the cassette is likely fine, but 10t could be worn.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the limit screw too far in? Cassettes can sit in a slightly different position laterally on different wheels, hence skipping on one set of wheels and not the other.
Is the hanger bent?
Is there any crud/mud/grass etc wrapped around the cassette?

Is this the first chain on that cassette? Could it be that the 10t cog has been worn from a previous chain? Especially prevalent on an e-bike when you're likely spending a lot of time in the 10t. The rest of the cassette is likely fine, but 10t could be worn.
Everything is set pretty good. I've been a wrench for a long time. I did second guess myself though. But I got things dialed.

On the 1 of 2 wheelsets that skips, it's my bike-park wheelset and has seen most of its time in the 10t. I think I wear the 10s in question.

I really think the cog is overly manipulated for shifting; coupled with the lack of teeth and lack of chain wrap, it gives.

I'm posting this to see if others have a similar experience.

I wish they'd start selling replacement 10s.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a similar problem with Shimano xt 12spd. Chain skipped 10t cog when pedaling hard. There was nothing wrong with the setup itself but then I noticed that derailleur did not tension the chain enough. Tension plate spring did not fully engage because of rust and contamination on plate axle. I cleaned and regreased the plate axle and the skipping problem was solved.

I hope you find a solution for your problem.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to try to shorten my chain. That might add some tension. I tend to go a bit loose on set up.

I found some similar complaints on a thread on that ebike forum. The solution for ebikes may be that new more durable drivetrain - linkglide, which eliminates the 10t. That's what I did on mine.

·
Registered
622 Posts
OP. Did you ever get the skipping sorted out?
Am I the only one that has 10t cog skips. Two different bikes. My chain does not measure stretched at all and skips under hard load in the 10.

One bike is E, so lots of power.

Other bike has two wheelsets, each with its own cassette. (Different tires) Only one skips.
Did you ever get the skipping sorted out? I too am having the same issue but it I’m using a SRAM chain. It shifts perfectly otherwise, but under hard sprinting, it skips only in the 10t. I was just going to replace with a new Shimano chain but im not sure that would solve it either.
I’m running XT 12 speed with SLX cassette and a SRAM GX chain.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I finally found some replacement cogs. So I can use these otherwise perfectly good cassettes that had the 10s warn out.

I started running bigger chainrings so I don't use the 10 as much.
Thanx for the update. I found some replacement cogs as well and ordered them but they won’t be here for a few more days. I'm pretty disappointed with Shimano 12 speed rollout. I can count on one hand how many times I've used the 10t cog in the last 5 months. And I replaced my chain before it even got to .5 wear. I'm wondering now if it would be cheaper to just go SRAM GX when I get my new wheel set. Hopefully someone will come out with a more durable 10t Microspline cog though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanx for the update. I found some replacement cogs as well and ordered them but they won’t be here for a few more days. I'm pretty disappointed with Shimano 12 speed rollout. I can count on one hand how many times I've used the 10t cog in the last 5 months. And I replaced my chain before it even got to .5 wear. I'm wondering now if it would be cheaper to just go SRAM GX when I get my new wheel set. Hopefully someone will come out with a more durable 10t Microspline cog though.
I have to keep them in stock only place I found that I can find them is ebay from china, seems I replace one every 6 months, I have always wondered if anyone else had this issue. I did just get a 36 front chain ring hoping to stay off the 10t in the future.
But I have had this issue with two different bikes and two-wheel sets, and I keep my drivetrain well maintained. definitely frustrated with it

·
Registered
622 Posts
I finally got my 10t and 12t cog replacements. This did fix my skipping issue so now I’m back to a perfectly working drivetrain. In hindsight, I think I did damage my 10t ring. I’m just going to see how long this one will last with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to keep them in stock only place I found that I can find them is ebay from china, seems I replace one every 6 months, I have always wondered if anyone else had this issue. I did just get a 36 front chain ring hoping to stay off the 10t in the future.
But I have had this issue with two different bikes and two-wheel sets, and I keep my drivetrain well maintained. definitely frustrated with it
Yep that's my story. Bigger rings has been helping me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts