Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With XX and next years Shimano XTR and XT (and X0) all going 10 speed and having the option of running a double chainring, I was wondering how this effects the feel on the DW link. DW was on here a while back answering questions relating to HammerSchmidt saying how the DW-link was designed for use with a triple in the normal rations of 44/32/22. Now what happens to the suspension feel if people are suddenly running rations ranging from 44-30 to 38-26? Will it make any difference or not?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
TrailDog said:
With XX and next years Shimano XTR and XT (and X0) all going 10 speed and having the option of running a double chainring, I was wondering how this effects the feel on the DW link. DW was on here a while back answering questions relating to HammerSchmidt saying how the DW-link was designed for use with a triple in the normal rations of 44/32/22. Now what happens to the suspension feel if people are suddenly running rations ranging from 44-30 to 38-26? Will it make any difference or not?
I think that you will find that few if any other designs on the market today are as well suited as the dw-link to running 2X10. We've been testing with 2X10 since the first prototypes and the results have been awesome IMO. Of course fitting the actual XX to your Turner is tough due to the narrow Q factor of the XX. I haven't fitted new XTR to my 5 Spot yet but soon I will try.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Should not really affect the DW bike at all in my experiance. I ran a triple on my DW Spot then switched to a 26-36 gearing, did not notice any difference. It sure pedals better in this fig than my 09 Nomad, that's for sure.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, thanks for the info. I am looking forward to 10 speed as I prefer running a double and like the sound of the extra ratios. My main worry about it is mud, as 10 speed road mechs have not been lasting well during this winters cyclo-cross meaning it's been an expensive season. Anyway, we shall see...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I was running 2x9 rotor cranks for awhile on my flux-dw. Chainrings were 27/40. XTR front derrailleur shifted...ok.Other than that the ratios worked great except for really long (2km+) steep climbs. Shortish climbs weren't a problem 'cause you could bite your lip and grunt up over the top.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
inkpad said:
I'm holding out for the XXX All mountain version :thumbsup:
Its called Hammerschidt :D

It would be interesting to lay with gearing ratio's of 9spd in dual ring combo's vs 10 speed ratio's if ya got a fast connection and online all day check it out!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=8204

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Looks like a huge take up in 10spd next year, be interesting to see how the spacing and combo's work out, I'll keep an open mind :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts