Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

Can anyone help me out with this?

Cannot get this thing to shift worth a dang. Either top nine or bottom nine, and sometimes it will skip a cog.

Seems like the der does not have enough spring strength. I removed the spacer on the crankset and that seems better, less clicking.

Can an XT 10spd chain be upside down as well as inside out?

The components (all new):
Spitfire
Hope Rear Hub
XT Dyna rear der and fr der, cranks, cassette,shifter and chain

Thanks!!

:madman:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hey STP, double check the cable routing into the derailleur and make sure the cable is sitting properly and on the correct side of the cable clamping bolt. I know some of the newer rear der's can be pretty fussy here so it's worth double checking.
Another possibility is that the derailler hangar got bumped in shipping, it may need a minor alignment.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Don't own any of the new MTB 10spd, but from every report I've read they are about 10 times more finiky than 9spd as far as adjustment goes. So where with 9spd you could prob turn the barrel adjust a few times, with 10spd it's about 1 turn MAX. Not sure about the chain, but as Malcom said, it is asymetrical, so worth checking - did you check Shimano's tech docs to see if they had anything to help? As Martin said, checking the cables to make sure all the ferules are sitting in properly is not a bad plan, but don't think that even if it got bumped should that stop it from getting to every gear at some point adjust properly. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.