Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
10 Speed MTB set made up of:
- One cassette monobloc 10 speeds in aluminium-ceramic 11-36 (except gear 11 in steel)
- One set of gripshifters 2x10s

Characteristics:
- It fits with all Shimano derailleurs (XTR, XT...)
- It fits with 9s chain (ok with 10s but you don't need it)
- It fits on 9s body
- Cassette coating: ceramic for better shifting and better wear resistance, silver or gold color
- Gears: 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36
- Weight of cassette: 163g with nut
- Weight of gripshifters w/o cable: 96g

This set is able to convert at low cost your transmission with 10 speeds.
Weight of the set is 259g (398g for XX set).
You don't need to buy neither 10s rear derailleur nor 10s chain.
Delivered with cables.

This cassette could also be used with X0 gripshifters + X0 rear derailleur (or X9...), but you have to drill a 10th teeth in the X0 gripshifter (with no modification of the 9 other ones).

http://www.jpracingbike1.com/www-jpracingbike1-com-english-bbNaaaiva.asp
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Any word on where I can buy just the 10s grip shifter? Right one only if poss? I'll pass on the alum cassette. If i read it correctly the shifters are setup for a shimano rear derailleur?

XX cassette, XTR shadow rear der and this sec shifter. That would be a nice 1x10 for me.
 

·
sometimes cheeky
Joined
·
128 Posts
So this cassette is wider than the XX or other 9 speed cassettes. How could this fit into the frames, and on the (standard 9-speed) freehub bodies ?
Can I get stress with the chain against the frame when the chain is on the 11'th ring ?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
I should have gotten this set about 2 months ago but honestly i'm glad i didn't.

Aluminium cassettes don't last on a MTB! This whole concept is just rubbish as you can't use other parts than the ones here.Not compatible with other parts and since aluminium cassettes don't last you will have a wasted drivetrain in no time...

I don't understand the reasoning behind. If those guys from SEC would have done a XX or Shimano compatible shifter they would sell hundreds if not thousands in no time. This way it will remain a boutique item with low sale numbers for sure. No way people will buy into this custom standard.

I also don't understand why Recon invested brainpower in this project. They told me about it and already back then i told them it would not work.

Sometimes i really don't understand those asian companies producing items that no one is interested in. Why would you design a 10s shifter with a proprietary ratio???A cassette you can't use on other drivetrains ??? Really big questionmarks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The width is the same than 9speed cassette on the body.
There is an offset for the 36t but only on the outer area. You can see it on the picture above.
So it fits on 9s body.
 

·
sometimes cheeky
Joined
·
128 Posts
Thanks philvert.

Nino,
unusual, but full agree with you in this point.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
philvert said:
The width is the same than 9speed cassette on the body.
There is an offset for the 36t but only on the outer area. You can see it on the picture above.
So it fits on 9s body.
yes it fits on 9s body (just as every other 10s cassette does) BUT you can't use the cassette or shifters with other parts. You are forced to run these shifters with that specific cassette so once the cassette is wasted you need to buy another one. No way to run a XX cassette. Or you can't buy just the cassette and use it on your XX groupset or with 10s Shimano shifters...to me that's just biiiig BS.

I sold many aluminium cassettes in the past and by now it is pretty much a well known fact that aluminium cassettes on a MTB don't last-period.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
checky said:
Nino,
unusual, but full agree with you in this point.
Gibts nicht!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course Aluminium cassette is not the best one for durability.

But note there is a new coating (with ceramic), very shiny and perfect finish: I have more confidence in it than the previous "mat" one.

Two things we can not take away are: best weight (160g) and best price for Aluminium cassette.

And even if you were not charmed by aluminium cassette, you can still use these 10s gripshifters with a 9s Ti cassette and Shimano derailleur: it works too!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
philvert said:
Of course Aluminium cassette is not the best one for durability.

But note there is a new coating (with ceramic), very shiny and perfect finish: I have more confidence in it than the previous "mat" one.

Two things we can not take away are: best weight (160g) and best price for Aluminium cassette.

And even if you were not charmed by aluminium cassette, you can still use these 10s gripshifters with a 9s Ti cassette and Shimano derailleur: it works too!
No thanks i already have a 10s Titanium cassette;)

By the way - if you are looking for a nice (and shiny) aluminium cassettes i have some too.

These parts you show here are just useless.Use it once and throw away. Nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As the new "shiny" coating seems much harder than previous Recon and KCNC mat coating and as this alu cassette is 4 times less expensive than XX cassette , it should be tested!!

I use this cassette with X0 rear derailleur and X0 gripshifters with only an added 10th notch made with dremel (and one minor modification made with a file for better cable routing).

I will make some reports regularly with pictures.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
philvert said:
As the new "shiny" coating seems much harder than previous Recon and KCNC mat coating and as this alu cassette is 4 times less expensive than XX cassette , it should be tested!!

I use this cassette with X0 rear derailleur and X0 gripshifters with only an added 10th notch made with dremel (and one minor modification made with a file for better cable routing).

I will make some reports regularly with pictures.
No need for updates as no one will buy into a throw away drivetrain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
nino said:
No need for updates as no one will buy into a throw away drivetrain.
pfff ...

I would not be so certain...:D

The new coating of this alu cassette is made of ceramic and nickel with thicker coating than before. So it will be more durable.
From Recon, it will last 3000KM, depending of course on the way you ride.
So ratio durability / price / weight would be ok for many users.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
philvert said:
pfff ...

I would not be so certain...:D
I see it the other way round. There is no such coating that gets aluminium cassettes anywhere close to the durability that could be accepted by the public.

Again-why they invest brainpower in such a custom-drivetrain remains a mystery to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
philvert said:
As the new "shiny" coating seems much harder than previous Recon and KCNC mat coating and as this alu cassette is 4 times less expensive than XX cassette , it should be tested!!

I use this cassette with X0 rear derailleur and X0 gripshifters with only an added 10th notch made with dremel (and one minor modification made with a file for better cable routing).

I will make some reports regularly with pictures.
Can you show us how you modified the GripShift, please?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
Epic-o said:
Can you show us how you modified the GripShift, please?
if it has 9s ratio it will have just 1 additional notch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
above post,

so how do they "slow" the derailleur down? Since 9-10 speed cassette overall spacing is the same correct? ie. 11 to 34 on a 9 speed is the same as 11-36 on the sram 10 speed. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

i'm dying to get a 1x10 setup but would only like to run a grip shift. I know sram will come out with one but i'd still have to buy the crazy expensive rear derailleur. I can get short cage xo's cheap.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top