Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this question has been addressed, but my searches yield similar questions that others have asked. Though no real answers. What's the latest on this topic? I'm planning to build a new wheel set around Hope Fatsno hubs, and would appreciate the option of securing the rear wheel with a 10mm thru axle bolt (e.g. DT Swiss RWS 10 x 135mm skewer, just 35mm or 55mm longer).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I was about to suggest a 10 mm Fatback skewer when madslacker's reply popped up. I can confirm it does work. I have it on one of my wheels, works perfect. Hope does not sell the rear hub with the 10 mm caps so you need to buy the Hope 10 mm end caps.

·
Registered
748 Posts
so many fails in the thread.

depending on the hub model sometimes you can convert a QR hub to a 10mm thru bolt/QR10mm , 10mm fun bolt or 12mm thru bolt with a QR axle to thru axle conversion axle kit to replace your QR axle on the hub. so in order for a QR hub to take a 10mm diameter axle. you need to ditch the axle and end caps on that QR hub and buy a thru axle axle and end cap.

hope fatsno is a QR hub. and it is not a hub that converts .

so in conclusion my friend, you can not use a 10mm diameter thru axle on your QR hub.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
so many fails in the thread.

depending on the hub model sometimes you can convert a QR hub to a 10mm thru bolt/QR10mm , 10mm fun bolt or 12mm thru bolt with a QR axle to thru axle conversion axle kit to replace your QR axle on the hub. so in order for a QR hub to take a 10mm diameter axle. you need to ditch the axle and end caps on that QR hub and buy a thru axle axle and end cap.

hope fatsno is a QR hub. and it is not a hub that converts .

so in conclusion my friend, you can not use a 10mm diameter thru axle on your QR hub.
Fail dude. The current fatsno rear hub can be converted to any rear standard. Uses same endcaps as 135 pro2. You are thinking of the old fatsno.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I am on board with aka with regards to the "original" 170mm Hope Pro2 hub, but didn't know the "new" 40poi 170mm PRO2 had the axle options. I have been confused by fat products not being beefed up a little more than a standard mtnbike, but I guess the industry feels as if stout axle options aren't really a benefit...or maybe they won't sell as many as they want.

Personally, if my fatbike were to offer 20mm TA front and 12mm TA rear, I would be a very happy boy.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Fatsno Rear hub Tech Specs >
Sealed Stainless Steel cartridge bearings throughout
Aluminium cassette body
4 Pawl Ratchet mechanism
40 point engagement (9 deg)
Machined from forged 2014 T6 aluminium billet
Available in 28, 32 and 36 hole drillings
Conversions available for QR, 10mm bolt in, 10mm and 12mm axles
Two hub widths available 170/177 and 190mm
Available to suit 10sp Shimano or Sram XD cassettes
Standard 6 bolt disc mount
Colour Black, Silver, Red, Blue, Gunsmoke and Purple
Weight: 170mm - 367g

And proof..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Good looking hub, and am I am excited to know if they have been able to fix all the bearing issues they have been having with fat hubs.

bOb, last I knew you were selling everything fat.....did you have a change of heart?

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
bOb, last I knew you were selling everything fat.....did you have a change of heart?
Yeah I'm going in for a more simple surgery on Thursday with the hope of being back on the bike in 3 weeks so as a celebratory act I ordered a new frame and some bits. It is probably a reach but it's so fun buying fat stuff.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
I am on board with aka with regards to the "original" 170mm Hope Pro2 hub, but didn't know the "new" 40poi 170mm PRO2 had the axle options. I have been confused by fat products not being beefed up a little more than a standard mtnbike, but I guess the industry feels as if stout axle options aren't really a benefit...or maybe they won't sell as many as they want.

Personally, if my fatbike were to offer 20mm TA front and 12mm TA rear, I would be a very happy boy.
I am assuming I have the "old" 170mm hub, but how can I tell for sure? Anyways, I bought the 12mm TA endcaps from Hope, the Paragon TA rear sliding dropouts, and one of the 177 DT RWS skewers (that were made for the Salsa Beargrease?). Unfortunately, the DT-Salsa skewer has a 12x1.5mm pitch, while the dropout has a 12x1mm pitch, rendering them incompatible. :(

·
Registered
331 Posts
New hope Fatsno hubs have stainless steel sealed cartridge bearings.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Yeah I'm going in for a more simple surgery on Thursday with the hope of being back on the bike in 3 weeks so as a celebratory act I ordered a new frame and some bits. It is probably a reach but it's so fun buying fat stuff.
Good news man!! Lets Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I had an older Fat Snow hub that I converted to use a 10 mm Fatback Skewer, I bought 10mm end caps for a front Hope hub. A couple of months ago I bought a new Fat Snow hub hopeful it would be quieter with more engagement points and I converted that one. In the year between the two hubs it looks like Hope doubled the price, it will now cost around $25 - $35 Hope part # HUB239. I do not have the # for the more affordable one, it was for a front hub, the above part number is for the rear. WP_20140329_006.jpg

·
Registered
748 Posts
i thought all the sealed bearings are stainless steel . yeah i didnt even know fatsno can be converted.

looks like fatback is the only vendor that even offers 170 190mm thru axles. you best bet is to call them before ordering end caps

·
Registered
211 Posts
Had an hope 190/135 wheelset built up with plans to use fatback skewers. 10mm rear and 9mm front. Had the end caps in hand and installed on my hubs and found out that fatback won't sell the skewers separate from the hubs. Called them and was told the same thing. I can't understand why they are the only company to make skewers in that size right now. So I'm stuck with the puny salsa qr's for now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
i assume they had their hubs special ordered and made from taiwan or somewhere. the thru skewers are somewhat specialty items for just now. i think pretty soon its gonna get supported by more manufacturers or OEM vendors . hope should make one soon, sine they are offering end caps. i think with enough people requesting . itd happen very quick

1 - 20 of 43 Posts