Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Pro Crastinator
11,952 Posts
Nagaredama said:
Don't buy the Azonic step down axle. The track nuts chew up your drop outs..
actually, get the axle from Azonic, go to your local hardware store and get some new track nuts for less than a buck (it's the serrated flange nuts that will mark your frame, the track nuts are the nuts with integrated washers) and save yourself enough to even buy another axle or some other goodies....

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
Bringing back on old thread for a new question.
I need to find a similar axle but in 150mm insted of azonics 135mm, can anyone point me in the right direction?
Also, do they make a 20mm step down to 10mm? I've never heard of such a thing but I may be needing something like it soon.

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Some hubs have adapters that snap on and off to convert from 20mm to 10mm QR.

You'll need a new hub for 150mm spacing.
I have a 150mm hub, I was wondering if another company makes a step down axle in 150mm because Azonic doesn't.
And are there anyother options for the front other than a specific hub. My delema is I'm building new wheels for my demo, and have a P3 frame I'm using my old demo wheels for, but it's bolt on rear and I don't know if I can find a fork with a 20mm T/A for as cheap as I'm going.

Strike that first part, I just realized the P bike is 135 and my demo is 150. Damn.

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
fred.r said:
I have a 150mm hub, I was wondering if another company makes a step down axle in 150mm because Azonic doesn't.
And are there anyother options for the front other than a specific hub. My delema is I'm building new wheels for my demo, and have a P3 frame I'm using my old demo wheels for, but it's bolt on rear and I don't know if I can find a fork with a 20mm T/A for as cheap as I'm going.

Strike that first part, I just realized the P bike is 135 and my demo is 150. Damn.
What bike do you have that comes with a rear axle that 150mm spacing but not 12mm axle?

There aren't many bikes with 150mm x 10mm rear hub spacing.

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
Nagaredama said:
What bike do you have that comes with a rear axle that 150mm spacing but not 12mm axle?

There aren't many bikes with 150mm x 10mm rear hub spacing.
I must be confusing people with my lack of info...
I currently ride a demo 9 (150mm x 12mm) and was handed down a Spec. P series frame. I'm building new wheels for my Demo right now, and wanted to use the old wheels on my P bike, so I needed some axle help with the different drop outs and most likey a bolt on dropout fork. But just now realized that the P is 135mm, not 150mm, so I'm kinda siht out of luck when it comes the the rear wheel.

·
Registered
169 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
actually, get the axle from Azonic, go to your local hardware store and get some new track nuts for less than a buck (it's the serrated flange nuts that will mark your frame, the track nuts are the nuts with integrated washers) and save yourself enough to even buy another axle or some other goodies....
I read somewhere that if you don't use 10mm axles in dropouts designed for them you can damage the hub. Any truth to this? Technically the azonic kit is 9.5 mm, so is that alright? I have a steelhead if it matters.

·
493 Posts
sovietspyguy said:
I read somewhere that if you don't use 10mm axles in dropouts designed for them you can damage the hub. Any truth to this? Technically the azonic kit is 9.5 mm, so is that alright? I have a steelhead if it matters.
Where did you get 9.5mm? I'm not sure what you're talking about. You might be talking about threaded axles, in which case you need to find the proper size and thread pitch to match the threading on the cones...

If you want to know if you can use the Azonic step down axle on Outlaws on a Steelhead, the answer is yes. I've been running that setup for a while now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
BikeMk said:
Where did you get 9.5mm? I'm not sure what you're talking about. You might be talking about threaded axles, in which case you need to find the proper size and thread pitch to match the threading on the cones...

If you want to know if you can use the Azonic step down axle on Outlaws on a Steelhead, the answer is yes. I've been running that setup for a while now.
On the website for the azonic kit it says that it converts it to "standard 3/8" which is about 9.5 mm if you convert it. Anyways if you use it and it works then I will do that as well, thanks.

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
sovietspyguy said:
On the website for the azonic kit it says that it converts it to "standard 3/8" which is about 9.5 mm if you convert it. Anyways if you use it and it works then I will do that as well, thanks.
Sounds to me like Azonic is just using a general size for simplisity sake with the standard to metric conversion, kinda like people say 6in rotors insted of 162(or whatever it is) mm.
AKA, it'll work fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.